IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

turrican endscreen.... ;)

i have downloaded it from c64.com just to play around with graph2font... its a simple tool if you get into it... the pm gfx draw is a pain as its so slow on my p3 500mhz... but i started to convert california games title screen from c64 and its so easy... now i understand emkay how c64 guys cheated and how its easy to do this with the graph2fnt tool...

i started with these ones... (and california games just to get used to this little tool...)

post-528-1066168292_thumb.jpg

post-528-1066168293_thumb.jpg

post-528-1066168294_thumb.jpg

Umm, that's not the same picture - look at it a bit closer... Apart from anything else it's over 200 pixels high and that's just not do-able on the C64 at full screen width. Personally i prefer the C64 version but i'm comparing the C64's colours on the real deal (which the emulators still aren't 100% at copying) to what i'm seeing in that conversion so that'll probably skew things a bit...

i think i've seen the pic the conversion is based on before, it's from the Amstrad CPC...?

TMR it was deep in the night and as you see on my double post i was little bit tired... so i haven't realised that emkays T2 pic is not 100% the same as the one i downloaded... i haevn't made snapshots from the game but just downloaded the pics which are shown on c64.com...

how is the best to get the pics into graph2fnt?`

i converted them to 16 colors bmp without dithering and then tried to get them into bmp, unfortunatly resizing was necessary (160x200)...

as it seems i lost my california games... :( due to a bug? i just got black screen + inverted chars without any chars... aarg.... :) i am not a gfx guy... DRC it's your job... ;) will i see nice once from you? :)

hve

TMR it was deep in the night and as you see on my double post i was little bit tired... so i haven't realised that emkays T2 pic is not 100% the same as the one i downloaded... i haevn't made snapshots from the game but just downloaded the pics which are shown on c64.com...

The picture is converted from the AMIGA's T2. And I am very shure, you can see a "slight" difference at a first look ;)

how is the best to get the pics into graph2fnt?`

Optimum is 160x192(240) and 4 colors. The 2bit colors are recommended.

i like emkay's version more than the c64 original...

hve

Heaven please correct your mailings with the C64 screens... It looks like anyone is thinking, they are build with Graph2fnt...

And.... yes, the converted Amiga Version looks better to me too. But, take care of the following:

C64 can produce 16 colors in a very much higher "density" than the A8. If the VIC would have 3200 colors (or more), you would see them on the screen...

the lack is in the only available 16 colors at all.

So, even if you can use a "less" color-resolution, you can use a color on the A8 that fits more "to the eye" and you don't have to dither that often...

Two things are not supported by now: Mid-Line Changes and PRIOR 0, but see how colorfull the images are still looking.

ok... just to make it 100% clear:

emkays pic at the top is made with graph2fnt!!!

my posted pics are the C64 taken from c64.com... which i wanted to import into graph2fnt and start playing around... and i started with california games which is looking (in theory) simple to convert...

hve

Okay, so i've been thinking about adding output for the Atari to my ImageWire tool for the next version - it'll only put out 320x192 in 4 colours (since that's what it's designed for, greyscale conversions) but how should i format the save file and what's the most popular format on the Atari?

Okay, so i've been thinking about adding output for the Atari to my ImageWire tool for the next version - it'll only put out 320x192 in  4 colours (since that's what it's designed for, greyscale conversions) but how should i format the save file and what's the most popular format on the Atari?

Hmm make a save option for RIP, HIP, TIP and MCS :D

as coder i wish a RAW format... just plain 7680 bytes (screen dump)... but MIC is common as well (koala painter).

emkay... just another post... how have you converted this pic? can you show the source picture AFTER conversion for graph2fnt? before you started to repaint.

cheers, karolj

as coder i wish a RAW format... just plain 7680 bytes (screen dump)... but MIC is common as well (koala painter).

emkay... just another post... how have you converted this pic? can you show the source picture AFTER conversion for graph2fnt? before you started to repaint.

cheers, karolj

Well... you have to import a resolution of 160x192(240) with 4 colors and to redraw by hand as the hw-abilites of the A8 are given ...

This is like to draw a picture above a blueprint... something you can adapt and something you have to draw completely new because of the lower resolution.

Hmm make a save option for RIP, HIP, TIP and MCS  :D

That's not what ImageWire does - it saves in Koalapainter format for the C64 and doesn't support FLI or anything else because my plan has always been to concentrate on doing a good looking 4 colour image conversion rather than worrying about colours.

as coder i wish a RAW format... just plain 7680 bytes (screen dump)...

Raw format is one i've already been considering so chances are that'll be in there too but i want something i can ship example source for where the source doesn't have to do any work like adding colours.

but MIC is common as well (koala painter).

Okay, so i assume the MIC format is the raw data followed or headered by a couple of colour bytes right? Any docs online i can have a wander through for the layout of the file...?

btw. TMR cool plus/4 stuff!!!

:) see you on next 8bit machine... ;)

Ta very much. =-)

The Plus/4 is probably going to be supported in ImageWire 1.1 as well, pluse i want to include some flexibility to add other machines at a later date (BBC Micro, Amstrad CPC, anything with 160x200 or thereabouts resolution).