IGNORED

How do you pronounce Karateka

Joey Kay

Wow...still going strong with this one, huh? ;)

Through your web browser from Merriam-Webster, or download the audio clip here: karateka.zip

Then again, there is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjocmhoH5q4

Additionally, Dictionary.com is different from Merriam-Webster.

How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop do you pronounce Karateka?

The world may never know. :P

Nope. Japanese has no 'car' syllable.

Ka-ra-te-do = empty handed way, formerly china handed way. ka-ra-te-ka = someone who does karate. In english, it sounds more like the "car" option than his other. I've used the word daily for a decade.

• 3 weeks later...

Who cares? As long as they know what you're talking about.

This reminds me of when you enter a Greek (or pretensively-Greek) food stand. I'd like a "Gyro." Well, how do I say that? Well, since the spelling is in English (dare I say "American?") I want to say JY-ROW as you would, when pronouncing the word "gyroscope" or "gyrocopter." I'm talking about a "J" sound, here. However, as I see (some places) it's suppose to be "Yee-Row" or something. I don't care. When ordering cuisine, WHAT'S IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT, rather than "how it's supposed to be pronounced" in some other setting. So I say "JY-ROW" as opposed to "Yee-row," because what's important is that I get what I want (mispronouncing it like the last 100 ignoramuses did, even though I know better). Should I try to play fancy, I might end up with a "HERO" sandwich, something entirely different. What's important is that you know what I'm talking about, in this case, and in the case of Karataka. So if "Kah-raw-teh-kah" is incorrect, who cares, as long as you know which game I'm talking about? If on "Jeopardy" (or some other game show), it might be different......

"You know what I meant" is the battle cry of the intellectually lazy. People who express themselves poorly are offloading the mental effort of communication from themselves onto everyone around them.

Fucking right. As long as they know whether I want a "GYRO" or I'm talking about "Karateka" is all that matters, *in those situations*. That was my point. Those situations aren't doctorate dissertations, where pure academics might dictate a higner standard. It's about ordering a fucking Greek Taco or discussing a 30-something-year-old video game on a fucking video game forum. Please feel free to crow now, about your intellectual prowess and mental acuity, and why anybody should give a shit about them when ordering gyros or discussing Karateka, as long as they know what you're talking about? I'd suggest beginning with your high credentials and success stories. I'm all ears.

jai-ro is redneck for "Pita sandwich"

It's either gee-ro with a hard 'g' or a jee-ro, depending on what part of Greece you're talking about. This isn't really a huge deal if you're the customer, but if you're the SELLER, it's a dead giveaway on how good of a gyro you're really going to get. 'jai-ro' is a fairly safe bet it's not going to be that good.

• Like 1

I almost mentioned in my preceding post how defensive those kinds of people get when called on it, but you just illustrated that far better than I ever could have explained it.

"almost," eh? But you didn't. Instead, you perfectly illustrate your own defensiveness, with such revisionary shenanigans. LOL! :)

jai-ro is redneck for "Pita sandwich"

It's either gee-ro with a hard 'g' or a jee-ro, depending on what part of Greece you're talking about. This isn't really a huge deal if you're the customer, but if you're the SELLER, it's a dead giveaway on how good of a gyro you're really going to get. 'jai-ro' is a fairly safe bet it's not going to be that good.

Problem is, most vendors here who sell gyros are not Greek, and have no idea what you're talking about when you pronounce it correctly.

Who cares? As long as they know what you're talking about.

This reminds me of when you enter a Greek (or pretensively-Greek) food stand. I'd like a "Gyro." Well, how do I say that? Well, since the spelling is in English (dare I say "American?") I want to say JY-ROW as you would, when pronouncing the word "gyroscope" or "gyrocopter." I'm talking about a "J" sound, here. However, as I see (some places) it's suppose to be "Yee-Row" or something. I don't care. When ordering cuisine, WHAT'S IMPORTANT IS THAT YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT, rather than "how it's supposed to be pronounced" in some other setting. So I say "JY-ROW" as opposed to "Yee-row," because what's important is that I get what I want (mispronouncing it like the last 100 ignoramuses did, even though I know better). Should I try to play fancy, I might end up with a "HERO" sandwich, something entirely different. What's important is that you know what I'm talking about, in this case, and in the case of Karataka. So if "Kah-raw-teh-kah" is incorrect, who cares, as long as you know which game I'm talking about? If on "Jeopardy" (or some other game show), it might be different......

If you said to me in real life "car-uh-TEA-kuh", I'd have no idea what word you mean.

Just because you know, don't assume that everyone else knows what you mean.

I have heard, sadly most than once, Japaleno ... pronounced 'Jap-a-lee-no'... I've also heard "Habenero" pronounced in ways that I can't being to spell out. Sadly, seems like it's the posh-soccer-moms who do this the most. Rednecks seem pretty damn sure to get their fast food right! :)

Oddly, I didn't run into that too much when I worked at Lotus Garden for a few years back in my old school days. People tended to really over-pronounce things "KUNGGGGG POWWWWW", but tended to get the Chinese dishes basically right.

Anyway... Kah-rah-tea-kah!

• Like 1

I have heard, sadly most than once, Japaleno ... pronounced 'Jap-a-lee-no'... I've also heard "Habenero" pronounced in ways that I can't being to spell out.

If you're going to be smug about how they're pronounced, you ought to at least spell them correctly-- "jalapeño" and "habanero".