IGNORED

Super Mario Clone being written now

analmux

But, no point of moaning here. The game already includes much more good features than the other 99% of "platformers" on the A8 ... :cool:

I've got nothing to add (well, almost nothing).

The look and feel of this game demo is so polished it really shows that the full game will be a modern game on an ancient platform. Nevertheless there are some really old platformers for the ATARI 8-Bit that have addicting gameplay as well although the graphics and sounds are worse (e.g. Miner '49er).

patjomki (playing on ATARI for ages but just recently registered for AtariAge)

Well, actually I consider the first water surface much more difficult to jump over.

Well, as you might suppose I disagree. For me jumping over the first water surface was quite easy compared to the part near the end of the level.

:)

If this is the first level, the difficulty might be a little bit lower, but still it is not that high to kill the playability.

Depends. ;)

I would like to see a difficulty level that has the ability to raise.

Anyway. High difficulty or not, Crownland is one of the highlights for the ATARI.

patjomki

• 2 weeks later...

I am 100% sure that even demo of Crownland deserves it own thread.

It rendered me speachless when I saw it running (last time I was supprised as much was when Commando cartridge was discovered and dumped)

Simply beatifull!

Perfect design!

Marvel!

Fun not only to play but to wach as well.

PS

I even transfered recorder video of the game to my mobile phone (thats a pity there is no Atari emulator for Symbian) to be able to admire its qualies.

I am 100% sure that even demo of Crownland deserves it own thread.

It rendered me speachless when I saw it running (last time I was supprised as much was when Commando cartridge was discovered and dumped)

Simply beatifull!

Perfect design!

Marvel!

Fun not only to play but to wach as well.

PS

I even transfered recorder video of the game to my mobile phone (thats a pity there is no Atari emulator for Symbian) to be able to admire its qualies.

...but also notice that it's still a display with standard techniques, so very heavy calculations (for something like softwaresprites or something) are not even needed:

-DLI's for palettechanges and PM repositioning

-some fontflipping for the parallax effects

...but you sure can say that the above techniques are applied in an artful way.

ps. indeed, everytime I see there's a new post in this thread (about my marioclone, which I'm not working on anymore) I think that maybe there's progress in the mario project :D ....so I think no one would be against it if there would be a separate thread about this project (maybe a sticky one)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Someone needs to get a Sonic clone on this machine.

Btw, I'm interested in this Mario one as well, I wouldn't mind converting the ROM into audio so I can play it on the real thing but I don't know how.

I agree, the 8bit needs a sonic....I get wet dreams from the idea that maybe one day there's a Sonic3&Knuckles like game on the 8bit :love: drool drool

...maybe some things will be possible with the mega video upgrade (from the other thread) and some digisound: a softsynth engine that emulates the YM/Z80 circuit of the Sega Genesis.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
That makes me a sad panda... :/

The Atari needs more platformers.

I believe the programmer decided to cancel the project

Is this project still alive? Is there a web page, download page? I didn't see one in the pages of the thread I read through...

Which are you talking about? Crownland was completed, and a very decent game. The SM3 clone made it to the point of a demo with movable Mario sprite (non-animated) and multiple levels to view.

The Mario Clone...

...I got Crownland, and aside of the annoying flicker effect, was VERY impressed!

That makes me a sad panda... :/

The Atari needs more platformers.

I believe the programmer decided to cancel the project

Is this project still alive? Is there a web page, download page? I didn't see one in the pages of the thread I read through...

Which are you talking about? Crownland was completed, and a very decent game. The SM3 clone made it to the point of a demo with movable Mario sprite (non-animated) and multiple levels to view.