IGNORED

Q Does anyone still program in basic?

Classic Pac

Technically I should not be here the only 8-bit computer I have is a Radio Shack Color Computer 2. But I have always been wondering that. You see I have a few old mags which contain programs in basic. Some of which i tried and they do work to some degree and some in unexpected ways. Face it my choices are very limited. Considering I can't find anyone else who has one or let alone carts or even a tape deck thats compatable.

But I have tried basic programs for other computers and too my surprise some work...mostly wild displays. I am willing to share these programs if your interested just message me. Which still leaves the question does anyone still program?

I think that you'd find that quite a few people still program in BASIC around here. Like me.

And don't feel weird for owning a CoCo 2. I have one as well, alongside my Ataris, Commodores, and Apples. I program BASIC on all of them. They are all fun in their own ways.

BASIC is fairly standard when it comes to simple operations like mathematical expressions and simple user I/O, but when programs are written for more advanced graphics and sound and disk I/O, they aren't likely to work on different systems. In other words, every manufacturer has different extensions to the core BASIC language. Your best bet is to look for web sites that deal specifically with the CoCo and see what you can find for your computer.

There are plenty of people still programming. Just look at all the activity here on Atari Age.

-Bry

Compute! magazine had a column devoted to the Coco...at least it did before the "crash". Creative Computing also did. Programs in both sometimes had versions made for the Coco. There was also a tape "magazine"...but I dunno if that was made specifically for the original TRS-80.

There are books around...seek them out :)