IGNORED

Atari 8-Bit Game Programming ?

Draugr

Hello All,

Can anyone out there answer some questions on game programming for the Atari 8-Bit systems? I'll list my questions below.

1. Which language is best to use and where can I find books on learning it? Currently, I'm re-learning BASIC. So far its a piece of cake.

1a. Is BASIC any good for coding games on the Atari? I know on the PC its not.

2. Is there any books out there that teach you how to program games in Atari 8-Bit? I'd like to learn how to do graphics, make them move and collision detection type information.

3. If one makes a game for the Atari 8-Bit computers is it hard or easy to port the game to the Atari 2600/5200/7800 systems?

Well, thats all for now. I recently got my 130XE out of the closet and want to start programming with it. I love classic gaming so naturally an ol' 8-bit system is the way to go.

Thanks

Hi John,

To answer your questions as quickly as possible:

1. My own preferred language for programming the Atari is a little-known disk-based compiled language called PL65. This was the first 'serious' programming language I used on the Atari after BASIC. When I'm in assembly programming mood, I use MAC/65. It seems to me that you're only starting out with programming on the Atari. Standard Atari BASIC isn't much good. However, you could try using Turbo BASIC, which is public domain and includes a compiler.

2. Some Atari books are now available for online reading at http://www.atariarchives.org. These include 'Mapping the Atari', which is a must-have if you're going to do any serious programming on the machine.

3. Porting games to the other machines is tricky ... except perhaps the 5200. The Atari 2600, for example, doesn't have an operating system to make life easier. Not sure what the situation is with the 7800 but the architecture is totally different on both machines. The 5200, on the other hand, is essentially an 8-bit Atari computer in wolf's clothing. It has, as far as I'm aware, the same basic architecture and the same chips as your 130XE. The only problem is that their registers are mapped to different memory locations ... and you only have 16K to play with.

Hope that helps.

i want to start programming on the atari 8 bit's too, in assembler but don't know where to start. i've read mapping the atari, but i'm looking for some little examples, and a text with all the registers and adresses...

Thelen

quote:

Originally posted by thelen:

i want to start programming on the atari 8 bit's too, in assembler but don't know where to start. i've read mapping the atari, but i'm looking for some little examples, and a text with all the registers and adresses...

Thelen

Hmmm ... how much do you know about 6502 assembler at the moment?

I can feel a web site coming on ... maybe ...

There are some good articles on many aspects of atari 8-bit machine and programming (basic and assembler) in the Digital Antic Magzine. Seeing how the small examples work and trying some simple stuff first is a good way of getting into it, especially with assembler.

The references David pointed out are excellent. You'll also want to read up on programming in general, about data structures, common algorithms etc, when you want to tackle something bigger. I can't actually think of any specific reference places for this, although there is a lot about from a casual google search on algorithms or programming.

quote:

Originally posted by David Wyn Davies:

Hi John,

1. My own preferred language for programming the Atari is a little-known disk-based compiled language called PL65. This was the first 'serious' programming language I used on the Atari after BASIC. When I'm in assembly programming mood, I use MAC/65. It seems to me that you're only starting out with programming on the Atari. Standard Atari BASIC isn't much good. However, you could try using Turbo BASIC, which is public domain and includes a compiler.

2. Some Atari books are now available for online reading at
. These include 'Mapping the Atari', which is a must-have if you're going to do any serious programming on the machine.

3. Porting games to the other machines is tricky ... except perhaps the 5200. The Atari 2600, for example, doesn't have an operating system to make life easier. Not sure what the situation is with the 7800 but the architecture is totally different on both machines. The 5200, on the other hand, is essentially an 8-bit Atari computer in wolf's clothing. It has, as far as I'm aware, the same basic architecture and the same chips as your 130XE. The only problem is that their registers are mapped to different memory locations ... and you only have 16K to play with.

Hope that helps.

quote:

Originally posted by David Wyn Davies:

Hi John,

2. Some Atari books are now available for online reading at
. These include 'Mapping the Atari', which is a must-have if you're going to do any serious programming on the machine.

Hope that helps.

Where can PL65 be found ? Thanks

ron

Sadly it can't.

This is one of the 8-bit's least known but biggest gems!

I would distribute it myself but I need to find the manual and someone with a happy drive as it's copy protected (have a backup that Nir Dary created for me on his happy some six or seven years ago, so I know a happy'll do the job).

Hi David,

I made you a copy using my Super Archiver / Bit Writer Drive.. i need to serach my floppy collection and see if i still have a copy.. and if i do.. i can remove its protection and make it a standard .atr file.. but i need to check..

for those of you who would like to start programming in the atari.. here are some usefull tips:

i am programming in assembly.. so i would recommand to learn 6502 assembly..

look at: http://www.atariarchives.org/

mapping the atari & Atari Graphics & Arcade game design is there.. both have good starting info.. the rest is up to your talent

The main problem with coding in assebly is that it takes a lot to make a single procedure operation.. like to draw a line etc.. while in basic its simpler.. but one you make a draw routine in assembly and call it when you need it.. this is really fast..

I would recommand to look at the TurboAssembler packadge for the PC.. its an Editor & Compiler that is MAC65 compatible.. it allows you to code in assembly on the PC (WINDOWS 95/98).. and compile the code to a working atari file. (which then can be ported to atari via SIO2PC).. the TurboAssembler also have nice macros.. to draw/play Wave files and many more..)