IGNORED

8-bit XEGS cartridge dumps

capnarrr

Hey, anyone know if there are any rom images of some of the better atari XEGS cartridges floating around? From my personal collection, I have the good XE cartridges of Mario Bros, Crystal Castles, Desert Falcon, maybe one or two more I can't think of. I'm interested in dumping these if they are simply unavailable, however I have no dumping experience. Any software/hardware for this you could point me towards would be much appreciated!

hi, i've also searched for them, and asked for them but it seems that they aren't available to download anywhwere. i've found this page, the atari cartrideg dumping project which contains many dumped ones: http://www2.asw.cz/~kubecj/acartdp.htm

but they say you should not ask for roms so i dont . But i would like to have them... well you could make your own cartridge reader/writer..but it isn't fun to read out only your cartridges and write them to a ram cart.

please tell it if you have found some roms

Thelen

• 4 weeks later...

The Atari Cartridge Dumping project is bullsh*t

he provides a program that makes an image of the cartridge, but it does not make a cart rom image.

You must send him the image you create and he will send you the ROM image back.

That way he gets a copy of all cartridges.

But he refuses to release the images to the public because "There is huge difference between having the cartridge and 'playing the emulators'" & "It isn't also the way to ruin the remaining Atari vendors"

We all know that 99.99999% of atari 8-bit games have be released in atr or exe format. Any damage that could be done to the vendors has already been done

How many people out there owns an eprom burner and gives two sh*ts about making and selling atari cartridges that can be bought on Ebay for $5

It is a lot easier to make a sio2pc adapter and tranfer atr images to atari floppies than it is to build and program a cartridge

Like I said the damage is already done.

I have talked to this man a few times, his goal is to build (and possible sell) a atari 8-bit multi-cart and he needs the rom images to do so

it has nothing to do with "... gather maximum possible information about every cartridge ever produced for Atari 8-bit computers. Some of the info will be used in development of emulators"

if the purpose is to help the development of emulators should he not release the rom images to the public

A lot of 8-bit ROM images can be converted to EXEs that run out of internal RAM. But only the smaller carts can do this. XEGS carts tend to be big banked ROM affairs (like Flight Simulator II, Ace of Aces or Lode Runner) and these sorts of carts will only run off original hardware via a RAMcart of some sort.

quote:

Originally posted by Krawhitham:

The Atari Cartridge Dumping project is bullsh*t

Hey, hold your horses, please.

quote:

he provides a program that makes an image of the cartridge, but it does not make a cart rom image.

Anything wrong with this?

quote:

But he refuses to release the images to the public because "There is huge difference between having the cartridge and 'playing the emulators'" & "It isn't also the way to ruin the remaining Atari vendors"

I'm not refusing that because of that reasons. Either I wrote it not-so-clear (english is not my native) or you misunderstood.

quote:

I have talked to this man a few times, his goal is to build (and possible sell) a atari 8-bit multi-cart and he needs the rom images to do so

And now you accuse me of making that for cash. Funny.

quote:

"Some of the info will be used in development of emulators"

All of the code in for XEGS/SDX/Williams/Bounty Bob and partly OSS banking in Atari800 emulators is programmed using the code/info I provided on my pages.

quote:

if the purpose is to help the development of emulators should he not release the rom images to the public

See previous item.

I just want to make it complete before I post it. You didn't like that? Who gives a f-u-c-k?

question for Jindroush : why do you want to have all the roms ??? and why won't you release roms to the public ? is it a problem that people have a cartridge image instead of a disk image ? - so i should dump my own cartrideg games ?

Thelen

quote:

Originally posted by thelen:

question for Jindroush : why do you want to have all the roms ???

1) I want to know how to work, describe it on my page, put in into emulators

2) To create 'better' list that A.Krieg has, something like AtariAge did for console carts.

3) To know if there are some different versions not spotted by anyone before.

quote:

and why won't you release roms to the public ?

I will.

In fact, if Albert or anybody else from AtariAge could 'cooperate' in way I like, the roms could be posted here in 8bit section.

I didn't release the roms just because I hate the 'romz collectorz', so I planned to get all the dumps, label scans, box scans, manuals and burn a cd.

quote:

so i should dump my own cartridge games?

If you like that idea :-P

I still don't know why do you all want rom dumps that much while there are less than 10-15 which are not on the net already in file form.

We do plan to add an 8-bit section to AtariAge in the same vein as our other sections. It's certainly the next most requested section. The only reason it hasn't already gone online is because it will be a huge task, with a library of carts second only to the 2600 I think (among Atari). Fortunately we know some local collectors who have massive 8-bit collections, so we hope to be doing some borrowing in the future for extended scanning sections.

If anyone wants to start contributing 8-bit cart/box/manual scans, you are more than welcome to. 200dpi or better please.

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: Alex ]

quote:

Originally posted by thelen:

question for Jindroush : why do you want to have all the roms ??? and why won't you release roms to the public ? is it a problem that people have a cartridge image instead of a disk image ? - so i should dump my own cartrideg games ?

Thelen

This is nothing new. This is the same "service" that the CGE folks do, but behind the scenes, i.e. get collectors to dump ROMs, then hold onto them silently until they see fit.

That's why we have to wait for games like Snow White to see the light of day, and I wouldn't be surprised if they already have copies of every other uncirculated game too, Pink Panther, Charlie Brown, etc...

Wow...Glenn! We were starting to wonder about you. There have been a few opportunities you've missed to take a shot at CGE of late. Ahhhhh...the old Glenn is back. What a relief!

Sorry, can't talk now. I'm in the middle of a killer game of 2600 Snow White.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn Saunders:

A lot of 8-bit ROM images can be converted to EXEs that run out of internal RAM. But only the smaller carts can do this. XEGS carts tend to be big banked ROM affairs (like Flight Simulator II, Ace of Aces or Lode Runner) and these sorts of carts will only run off original hardware via a RAMcart of some sort.

Yes, some XEGS roms can be converted into ATR images or EXE files and run on most 8-bits (generally the 64k variety), but I have indeed seen rom images of some of the larger XEGS carts, like Airball or Flight simulator, and they will run from disk on an atari 8-bit, the catch is that you have to have an expanded memory 8-bit, because the images are some how stored in the extra memory as a "virtual" cartridge. But it must be more memory than even the XE's 128k; 128k of EXTENDED memory BEYOND the normal 64k is required, so 64k+128k=192k MINIMUM is required, and it must be 130XE memory compatible (Freddy chip style bank switching).

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jindroush:

I didn't release the roms just because I hate the 'romz collectorz', so I planned to get all the dumps, label scans, box scans, manuals and burn a cd.

and do what with the cd SELL THEM, or are you going to mail cds out to everone for free. or is this just a cd for you.

how is that multicart coming, sold any yet?

quote:

Originally posted by Krawhitham:

and do what with the cd SELL THEM, or are you going to mail cds out to everone for free. or is this just a cd for you.

Isn't paranoia just your second name? Okay, you wanted that: I will sell them for postage + media price (or cartridge I don't have). That's definitely under $10.

quote:

how is that multicart coming, sold any yet?

There's is no multicart (and will not be in near future).

quote:

Yes, some XEGS roms can be converted into ATR images or EXE files and run on most 8-bits (generally the 64k variety), but I have indeed seen rom images of some of the larger XEGS carts, like Airball or Flight simulator, and they will run from disk on an atari 8-bit, the catch is that you have to have an expanded memory 8-bit, because the images are some how stored in the extra memory as a "virtual" cartridge. But it must be more memory than even the XE's 128k; 128k of EXTENDED memory BEYOND the normal 64k is required, so 64k+128k=192k MINIMUM is required, and it must be 130XE memory compatible (Freddy chip style bank switching).

Its depend on the bank switching mode.. in general if the XEGS bank switching is not done through VBI you can make the cart game run from a floppy (.atr or .exe) file

the images are some how stored in the extra memory as a "virtual" cartridge. But it must be more memory than even the XE's 128k; 128k of EXTENDED memory BEYOND the normal 64k is required, so 64k+128k=192k MINIMUM is required, and it must be 130XE memory compatible (Freddy chip style bank switching).

I have just such an upgrade: a 1MB 130XE, with 64 banks of 16KB. Only 6502 / Antic split

access is not supported; AFAIK this breaks only the Video Blitz demo.

So, will my "1040XE" run these images? Where can I find them?

Heh, my has this topic gone astray. Fascinating nonetheless.

Its my opinion that Jindroush can do whatever he wants with his collection. He has no obligation to give anyone anything, and i can certainly understand him wanting to categorize all those classic games. On the other hand, I don't really feel the 1337 haX0r 13 year olds would be too interested in collecting atari roms, which pretty much only appeal to the people who had them as kids (namely... everyone on this channel). Good luck with your collection, and here's hoping for a 8-bit section of scans and roms on atari age (especially those XE carts I can't shut up about).

• Like 1

it sure might hurt some of the remaining dealers out there because i am one, and i did supply quit a few of the dumps in jindriches collection.

i also know him, respect him, and he is not doing it for the money.

some of the dumps are games that i own, so it would be suicide for my new stuff if they were made available.

thanks,

lance www.atarisales.com

• 8 months later...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Krawhitham:

and do what with the cd SELL THEM, or are you going to mail cds out to everone for free.  or is this just a cd for you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't paranoia just your second name? Okay, you wanted that: I will sell them for postage + media price (or cartridge I don't have). That's definitely under $10.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>

how is that multicart coming, sold any yet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's is no multicart (and will not be in near future).

It has been close to 8 months is that CD ready. Just tell me where to send my 10 bucks to.