IGNORED

Printers

Tempest

Just out of morbid curiosity today I decided to try out all my various Atari printers that I've collected over the years. To my surprise none of them worked! I've had these things for years I never bothered to test them.

820 - One of the printer spool holders broke off. I super glued it, but I'm not hopeful.

822 - The paper holder appears to be broken. It looks like it connects to the side of the printer by a magnet or something. Anyone know how this works?

825 - Don't have a Centronics cable!

1020 - The head moves, but nothing happened. I think the pens may be dried up.

1027 - I think the power jack is messed up. I couldn't get the power cable in. I assume it uses the standard power supply.

1029 - Don't have a ribbion :(

Anyone else ever try their printers?

Tempest

Just out of morbid curiosity today I decided to try out all my various Atari printers that I've collected over the years.  To my surprise none of them worked!  I've had these things for years I never bothered to test them.

820 - One of the printer spool holders broke off.  I super glued it, but I'm not hopeful.    

822 - The paper holder appears to be broken.  It looks like it connects to the side of the printer by a magnet or something.  Anyone know how this works?

825 - Don't have a Centronics cable!  

1020 - The head moves, but nothing happened.  I think the pens may be dried up.

1027 - I think the power jack is messed up.  I couldn't get the power cable in.  I assume it uses the standard power supply.

1029 - Don't have a ribbion :(

Anyone else ever try their printers?

Tempest

The 820 and 822 don't sound too promising :-(

The 1020 Pens are definitely dried up if they've been sitting in the printer, you'll need fresh ones and you'll most likely need to grease the gears, same with the 1027, the 1027 uses a different power supply,the jack is much larger and the p/s is a higher wattage. on the 1029, B&C I believe has some fresh ribbons, you just have to send them an email and ask,if they are out, I think I have 3 sets of ribbons and I'll send you one.

Curt

It looks like Best has ribbons for all the Atari printers (and pens!). I'll try out my glue job on the 820 tonight. I don't think the part moves (it's just a holder) so I may be alright.

The 822 is a complete mysterly to me. The rod (which I assume holds the paper spool) is attached to the turn knob on the side of the printer (so far so good). However on the other end of the rod is a metal tip that doesn't seem to attach to anything. Next to that (on the other side of printer) is what looks like a large motor of some sort and a short rod with other metal tip which meets up perfectly with the other metal tip. If it didn't sound completly silly I'd swear that they were supposed to be magnetic or something like that. I can't see how else they're supposed to connect. Anyone have a funcitoning 822 they want to open and take a picture of for me?

That explains why the normal power supply wouldn't fit in the 1027. Now I need to find a ps for that (good luck). What kind of grease do I use on the gears?

Tempest

I have three spare 1027s, in case anyone needs parts

Well I definetly need a power supply (I'm not spending $20 on one at B&C). However I'm not even sure my 1027 works, not only is it grungy but it smells kinda funny (Atari B.O.?). If you have a nice looking 1027 that works I'm interested (my box is perfect).

Tempest

I'm surprised you don't have a 1025

Actually I was too. I don't know how I missed it until now (too many printers I guess).

Which was the most common printer?

Probably the 1027 since it was the cheapest. Obviously the 1029 is the rarest, but I never see 822's either.

Tempest

The 825 requires a special card edge connector, doesn't it? If so, I have one you can have.

Nope, just a 850 interface (I suppose you can use a special adapter it you wanted).

I turned on my 820 and it warmed up, but when I pushed the paper advance button it made a horrible grinding noise. I think the drive belt is dead, which I understand is a common problem with 820's.

Tempest

What I mean is, what connector is on the back of the 825? A standard Centronics or a board-edge? I have an Atari cable here that goes from the 15-pin connector on the 850 to a board-edge connector. I thought it was for an 825.

I used to have an 820. What a clunky beast!

-Bry

What I mean is, what connector is on the back of the 825? A standard Centronics or a board-edge? I have an Atari cable here that goes from the 15-pin connector on the 850 to a board-edge connector. I thought it was for an 825.

Ahh yes, you do need a special cable for that (a Centronics to 15-pin connector). This is why I couldn't test my 825.

Tempest

Ahh yes, you do need a special cable for that (a Centronics to 15-pin connector).  This is why I couldn't test my 825.

Tempest

I looked it up...there shouldn't be a Centronics-type connector on the 825, just a board edge. Anyway, I have a genuine Atari board edge to 850 cable here if you need one.

-Bry

I looked it up...there shouldn't be a Centronics-type connector on the 825, just a board edge. Anyway, I have a genuine Atari board edge to 850 cable here if you need one.

Well I'll be damned you're right. I guess I could use that cable.

Tempest