IGNORED

COMMANDO received!

DracIsBack

Well, my Atari XE version of Commando arrived today, so I've fired on up the XEGS and been playing a few rounds. Too early to do a full review, but I'll give some initial thoughts.

This is a nice translation for the Atari XEGS and 8-bit computers. NES style games were not something you typically saw on those systems at all ... Atari didn't really start making platformers until the Lynx and late-7800 lifecycles so to see one on the XEGS is kinda cool.

I also have 7800 and NES versions of Commando. The graphics are better in the 7800 version (IMHO), probably due to more colors on screen in that version, though the XE version does have surprisingly sharp graphics. There is some flickering compared to the 7800 version (again, not a fair comparison given MARIA's abilities to manipulate moving objects) but it actually flickers less than the NES version I have. The scrolling is smooth too.

I was a bit disappointed in the sound. SCULPTURED seemed to spend more time on the 7800 version than the XE version, even though both soundtracks are POKEY driven.

One area where the XEGS does seem to shine, though, is gameplay. I find the controls in this version really tight, the difficulty level to be nice and the pacing to be good.

Will post more observations soon!

• 3 months later...