IGNORED

XE cases with silver labels

Callipygous

• 4 weeks later...
Not officially, no, but a box of "Bruce Lee" proto carts were discovered when Atari went belly-up, and retailers have been selling it for years.  

I believe that the cart image for that has been around even longer, but don't know for sure.

Cool! And it was to have been released by Atari? Even cooler! Just shows that you can learn something new every day if you’re paying attention!

I own a Nir Dary repro cart of the game, BTW. I had just assumed that it was from a Datasoft disk conversion rather than an actual Atari Proto.

Nir may have hacked his own cart image; I haven't asked him. Here's the story from Best Electronics' website:

Atari Bruce Lee Prototype 8 bit Atari XE Cartridge

These Atari Bruce Lee Prototype Cartridges were found in a Large box that came right out of the Old Atari Lombard, Illinois Warehouse as they were shutting it down!

These Atari XE series Unreleased Prototype Game cartridges did not have labels on them when they were found. The label you see is a high quality Digital picture of the 1st boot up screen on the Prototype Bruce Lee Cartridge.  

This Atari Prototype 8 Bit Cartridge is programmed on the Atari XE series of Bank Selecting Game cartridges, where the Atari Programmer's could get a whole 5 1/4 Disk based game and more on one XE Bank Selecting Atari Game Cartridge. It will run on All Atari 8 bit computers with more than 32K of memory!

Nir may have hacked his own cart image; I haven't asked him. Here's the story from Best Electronics' website:

Atari Bruce Lee Prototype 8 bit Atari XE Cartridge

These Atari Bruce Lee Prototype Cartridges were found in a Large box that came right out of the Old Atari Lombard, Illinois Warehouse as they were shutting it down!

These Atari XE series Unreleased Prototype Game cartridges did not have labels on them when they were found. The label you see is a high quality Digital picture of the 1st boot up screen on the Prototype Bruce Lee Cartridge.  

This Atari Prototype 8 Bit Cartridge is programmed on the Atari XE series of Bank Selecting Game cartridges, where the Atari Programmer's could get a whole 5 1/4 Disk based game and more on one XE Bank Selecting Atari Game Cartridge. It will run on All Atari 8 bit computers with more than 32K of memory!

Do you have a .bin of the proto cart that you could pass on? Then I could look for differences. My cart does boot up with this screen :

post-1863-1081298903_thumb.jpg

I have bruce lee on the Datasoft multicart by Sunmark. I never knew that it wasn't released before I read this thread. :)

It was released on disk but not on cart.

Didn't know that Sunmark had done a Datasoft cart, BTW. What other games are on it?

Didn't know that Sunmark had done a Datasoft cart, BTW.  What other games are on it?

I should have bought the syanpse one. But I play a lot of nibbler, Mr. Do, and clowns and balloons.

The odd thing is that it locks up once in a great while. I have had it since philly, and it has done it twice on nibbler. It might be because I am running it on an xl too, but I don't know.

post-3803-1081303148_thumb.jpg

Didn't know that Sunmark had done a Datasoft cart, BTW.  What other games are on it?

I should have bought the syanpse one. But I play a lot of nibbler, Mr. Do, and clowns and balloons.

The odd thing is that it locks up once in a great while. I have had it since philly, and it has done it twice on nibbler. It might be because I am running it on an xl too, but I don't know.

My Synapse one has locked up a time or two as well. No biggie since a cold boot seems to fix the problem.

The Synapse one is good. I'd recommend one if you can afford it. "Alley Cat" always was one of my fave 8Bit games! I also got a Sunmark "MultiCart II". Wahoo! 8Bit "Berzerk" baby!

I didn't see the Datasoft cart in Philly. Nice but what the heck are "Pac-Man" and "Zaxxon" doing on it? :?

I didn't see the Datasoft cart in Philly.  Nice but what the heck are "Pac-Man" and "Zaxxon" doing on it?  :?

I have all of these atrs for my sio2pc adapter (2311 disk images) But I just wanted to get one of them at philly for some reason.

I am not sure about Zaxxon, but Pacman has a copyright screen. It was obviously licensed by datasoft at one time.

post-3803-1081304586_thumb.jpg

I am not sure about Zaxxon, but Pacman has a copyright screen. It was obviously licensed by datasoft at one time.

Weird. I went looking around but haven't managed to find an ATR of the Datasoft "Pac-Man" yet. Is it the same as the Atari version? I found a Datasoft "Zaxxon" however. It does differ somewhat from the one that Sega released on cart. Interestingly, the Datasoft "Pole Position" seems to be a very slightly altered version of the same game that Atari released.