Photo

Best of the best 7800 games

27 replies to this topic

#1 Classic Pac OFFLINE  

Classic Pac

River Patroller

• 3,090 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:19 PM

Being a collector and player of 7800 carts. I know how easy it is to get bogged down by the worst of what became availible. But the very best and to the doubters out there the 7800 did have some amazing games and I thought
I like to pass that long with any other suggestions any of you out there might have.

F-18 Hornet flight sim
I don't know why people don't talk about this game. It was amazing and still is concidering the systems rep. But in a nutshell you have full control in a psudeo 3-D world. Although there are only 4 levels this game is HUGE and what you can do is amazing from fly through a covered bridge or through an open gate as slow or as fast as you want. Go on a mission or just fly around it is up to you. After all you can just about land or take off anywhere you want. All I can add is I never seen a game like this on any other system until
the XBOX.

F-14 Tomcat
Great fighting sim landing back on the carrier is all but impossible

Centipede
Ms. Pac-Man

Alien Brigade
The best shooter I ever played. The graphics can be bad on some levels but the action more than makes up for it.

#2 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 23,016 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:29 PM

Food Fight! Food Fight was the one reason I wanted a 7800 back in the day (my mother wisely got me an Nintendo instead).

Tempest

#3 Inky OFFLINE  

Inky

I'm going to try to come back and post here.

• 23,669 posts
  • Awkwardness personified

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:47 PM

My favs...

1) Xevious... Graphics not quite up to par with the arcade, but it sure makes up for it in gameplay!
2) Asteroids -- The smooth pseudo 3-d graphics and two-player options make this one you'll keep coming back to.
3) Ballblazer. Probably the hands down best game for the console.
4) Crossbow. Good translation of the arcade game

#4 sku_u OFFLINE  

sku_u

Quadrunner

• 13,984 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:05 PM

Ninja Golf, Midnight Mutants, Food Fight, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. are amongst my favorite 7800 titles.

#5 Christophero Sly OFFLINE  

Christophero Sly

River Patroller

• 4,829 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:36 PM

Joust. All the Atari ports of this game are good, but the 7800 version just shines.

#6 MegaManFan OFFLINE  

MegaManFan

NNID: MrMegaManFan

• 18,835 posts
  • What time is it? MEGA MAN TIME!

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:25 PM

Food Fight
Xevious
Ninja Golf
Alien Brigade
Commando

#7 Classic Pac OFFLINE  

Classic Pac

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,090 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:56 PM

I have this friend who got so good at Food Fight, no joke he racked up so many bonus men the game actually froze

#8 -^CrožBow^- OFFLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

River Patroller

• 3,925 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:57 PM

Yeap,

For me I was always playing the following:

Xevious
Double Dragon ( I did't have an SMS or NES then...)
Food Fight
Joust
Commando
Ikari Warriors

Ballblazer is nice, but it really is a two player game, and I never have thought the droid was all that.

8)

#9 thund3r OFFLINE  

thund3r

Dragonstomper

• 675 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 4:49 PM

Food Fight!  Food Fight was the one reason I wanted a 7800 back in the day (my mother wisely got me an Nintendo instead).  

Tempest

yes yes yes!

i bought a 7800 just to play food fight!

such a fun game, if i can get the arcade machine i would probably cry with happyess!

anyway my top 5 would be....

1. Food Fight
2. Xevious
3. Commando
4. Dig Dug
5. Joust

#10 Goochman OFFLINE  

Goochman

Quadrunner

• 6,275 posts
  • Moongates to the Past

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:02 PM

I have this friend who got so good at Food Fight, no joke he racked up so many bonus men the game actually froze

On the default level 7800 FF is a breeze - Ive done the same thing :)

I like the game though

Ninja Golf I just dont understand - which is what I can say about most post 5200 games Atari released.

You want a 7800 with Ninja Golf or a NES with Super Mario Bros?

Id get the NES

#11 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,338 posts

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:09 PM

Xevious
Food Fight
Fatal Run
Alien Brigade
Ninja Golf
Scrapyard Dog
Ms. Pac-Man
Asteroids
Joust
Commando
Midnight Mutants
Xenophobe
Ikari Warriors

#12 MegaManFan OFFLINE  

MegaManFan

NNID: MrMegaManFan

• 18,835 posts
  • What time is it? MEGA MAN TIME!

Posted Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:18 PM

Ninja Golf I just dont understand - which is what I can say about most post 5200 games Atari released.

You want a 7800 with Ninja Golf or a NES with Super Mario Bros?

Id get the NES

Well of course the NES wins that argument. But then again, Atari wasn't trying very hard to push innovation with the 7800 anyway. Officially, there were only 61 games. Think about that. Even in the same era, competing with NES and 7800, the Sega Master System managed 114. The NES, well, about 8 or 9 times as many as both put together. Still the 7800 was the bastard child of Atari, put out way too late to have a fighting chance and forced mostly to rely on it's 2600 backwards compatibility to have a library of games at all. If only they had released it in '84. Then again, if only they had licensed and sold the NES. Then again, if only... aww forget it Atari's corporate brass were the biggest bunch of cock-ups in the history of the industry.

#13 TripnTrancr OFFLINE  

TripnTrancr

Combat Commando

• 9 posts

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:51 AM

Anyway, my votes for best games on the 7800 (my fav Atari machine, still)

Joust - 2 player or solitary, man this game is a BLAST! One of THE best and most playable ports ever (Lynx version is darn good, too)

Dig Dug - A very faithful translation and frustrating into the later levels (but very fun, still). Will always hold this game dear

Galaga - Love the bonus music upon getting all 40 bugs. Listen to that magnificently produced pseudo stereo surround sound! (I might be going overboard, but I really love this game)

Ace of Aces - A tough game, but I remember playing this non-stop for hours when I first got my 7800 (and laughed at all the NES owners with their excessively ugly, boxy clunker)

Food Fight - Never played this game til I bought it for this system. Now, I can't seem to stop.... Addictive and fun! ;-)

-Wes

#14 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 7,143 posts

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:30 PM

F-18 Hornet  flight sim
I don't know why people don't talk about this game. It was amazing and still is concidering the systems rep. But in a nutshell you have full control in a psudeo 3-D world. Although there are only 4 levels this game is HUGE and what you can do is amazing from fly through a covered bridge or through an open gate as slow or as fast as you want. Go on a mission or just fly around it is up to you. After all you can just about land or take off anywhere you want. All I can add is I never seen a game like this on any other system until  
the XBOX.

That game there, Classic Pac, sounds almost exactly identicle to a game I had on Commodore Amega called "F-A 18 interceptor" (I think that's right) The part that got me is the description is perfect. And that's the only psudo 3D flying game I could think of that let you fly under a covered bridge, or through towns but everything else is flat. I thought it was funny to be able to land anywhere (even water as I recal, though you couldn't take off from water)

My faves are
Ms Pac-Man. It's perfect. Great little game sounds good, and it's fun.
Ball Blazer. Great psudo 3D soccor type game. Setable AI to your playing level. And lots of fun with friends, and cool soundtrack.
Joust. The best version of the game IMO, even graphicslly.

#15 Ferris OFFLINE  

Ferris

Stargunner

• 1,098 posts
  • ...Doin the Bull Dance ...Feein the Flow

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:51 PM

This is sorta new, but I've been addicted to 7800 KLAX ever since I got my hands on one of the early prototypes a few years back. I thought Block-Out was addictive, KLAX really taked the cake.

BTW, towards the bottom of the screen on KLAX there are two sets of initials, JAH and DAD... almost like it is supposed to be a two-player game where you enter your initials when you begin. Then again, I have a slightly different version than most I think. Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know exacly why those initials are there? I know I must be overlooking something here.

#16 terreri31 OFFLINE  

terreri31

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:31 PM

ive never played f-18, but how does it compare to f-14 tomcat?
If you are looking for an amazing combat flying game and dont want to deal with the crap prop planes of microsoft combat sim get F/A-18 Strike Fighter for PC. The game is amazing in realism and they did an excellent job with the scenery. The manual is about 150 pages thick so you know its good haha.

#17 terreri31 OFFLINE  

terreri31

Chopper Commander

• 236 posts

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:33 PM

F-14 Tomcat
Great fighting sim landing back on the carrier is all but impossible

whoops missed this part of your post. And i will let the record show that i had about a 5% landing success rate

#18 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,165 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:48 PM

BTW, towards the bottom of the screen on KLAX there are two sets of initials, JAH and DAD... almost like it is supposed to be a two-player game where you enter your initials when you begin. Then again, I have a slightly different version than most I think. Has anybody else noticed this and does anybody know exacly why those initials are there? I know I must be overlooking something here.

The initials are in the version that's out there, but if you want to find out if your version is different, you can always dump it and compare the files.

Mitch

#19 Ferris OFFLINE  

Ferris

Stargunner

• 1,098 posts

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:52 PM

I'm just really curious as to what those initials mean.

#20 Mitch OFFLINE  

Mitch

Quadrunner

• 6,165 posts
  • 7800 Guy

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:13 PM

I'm just really curious as to what those initials mean.

Possibly the programmer's initials. 7800 Klax was programmed by David Dentt, if his middle initial is "A" then that's what the DAD stands for. Maybe JAH is the initials of the artist or something.

Mitch

#21 Ferris OFFLINE  

Ferris

Stargunner

• 1,098 posts

Posted Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:15 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. I didn't know his middle initial though. Thank's for the heads up.

#22 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,376 posts

Posted Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:13 PM

F-18 Hornet  flight sim
I don't know why people don't talk about this game.

Because it's not fun. At all. The novelty of the filled-polygon graphics is about all it has going for it.

F-14 Hornet was pretty hideous as well. A gussied-up 2600 port. IIRC, the only way to kill enemy jets was with guided missiles that only "lock" for the split second that your crosshair is over just the right pixel on them.

#23 Classic Pac OFFLINE  

Classic Pac

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,090 posts

Posted Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:33 PM

F-18 Hornet 7800 verison is in my opion a direct port of the C-64 version I've seen the box. The game is also easier to play than the later PC version beside your dealing with the 7800 after all.

F-14 Tomcat I did say "all but"

#24 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,775 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:34 PM

i hate alien brigade, an ugly pile of pizzle and a stain on the 7800 library if ever there was one, with crappy control too.

galaga and robotron and food fight and xevious are my 7800 faves... guess i like its arcade ports :-)

#25 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,338 posts

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:08 PM

i hate alien brigade, an ugly pile of pizzle and a stain on the 7800 library if ever there was one, with crappy control too.

galaga and robotron and food fight and xevious are my 7800 faves... guess i like its arcade ports :-)

:o

How could you hate the greatness that is Alien Brigade?!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users