IGNORED

Run for the Money

intvgene

This game has to be one of the gems of the system, and I think it had to do with its rather limited release. When I bought it as a kid, it came in a plastic envelope the disk had both the 8-bit and C64 versions on it.

The game was designed by Tom Snyder (same as Zorkquest?). It's probably the first game that I know of that has a really developed economic basis behind it. The game has you controlling aliens who crash land on a planet and need to sell bananas to the inhabitants to make enough money, re-paint their shield and leave.

The game is amazing because you can control your costs of production, advertise, choose the the quality of your product, etc. The only shame is that this game is only two-player. If you like MULE, Fortune Builder, etc. You really need to try Run For the Money.

Anyone else like/hate this game?

run_for_the_money.zip

Run For the Money was reissued as a "flippy" in the late '80s, and I remember buying it at a Canadian Tire (hardware store) for $7.99 at that time. The game was originally released for the Atari 8-bits as a stand-alone product.

Don't think that it was an obscure title, though: Run For the Money was declared an instant classic when it was released ('84?), and was a major hit on several systems. I don't think you'll hear anyone dispute your claim that it's one of the all-time great gaming simulations. :)

Yea, but M.U.L.E doesn't really come close to the level that Run for the Money does... Consumer satisfaction, effects of bartering, different levels of production, advertising, forecasting, different production methods, etc.

That's what is so amazing about the game. It's really quite detailed. M.U.L.E. is an awesome game, but the end result is based much more on luck than strategy.

ok, cool I'm going to play it later, to see these features (it sounds interesting).

however M.U.L.E. is full strategy, but I have to admit there are 3 chances when luck is everything (or bad luck), when pirates come to the planet, if you loose a mule for an earthquake (when a mountain moves from one plot to the next one).

but this is a problem only when you are at the last stages and your a leading for a few points the top.

Devwebcl