IGNORED

Galaga Rumours?

davidcalgary29

Has anyone heard any recent mutterings about a possible "Galaga" port for the 8-bits?

I don't personally ever recall hearing of such...

As it was the Atari 7800 was the first console/system to receive several never before on a home system games. Galaga was one of them, as was Food Fight, Xevious, Pole Position II.

I would assume Atari wouldve had plans eventually to put Galaga on its home computer line, but the sale in 84' put that and 99.99% of everything else into vapor.

One 8bit game known to exist but so far lost and not found is Liberator, which I would love to see found !!!

Curt

I'm afraid that was me that was thinking about porting Galaga. Bill Kendrick posted some proof of concept graphics in his Super-IRG mode and I thought it would be a good little project.

Unfortunately, beyond that little quick and dirty thing I whipped up, I haven't done anything with it so far. One problem I have is the graphics. I suck and drawing graphics... another problem is that I'm not sure the colors that you can get with Super-IRG mode are going to be enough to draw all the creatures... they might all end up having the same colors as the bee.

I started another project, a sprite (PMG) editor that is about half-way done too that I thought would come in handy...

Anyone else with more time feel free to run with the idea!

As it was the Atari 7800 was the first console/system to receive several never before on a home system games. Galaga was one of them, as was Food Fight, Xevious, Pole Position II.  

Galaga was rumored to be in development for the 2600 by programmer Greg Easter (of Snow White fame). No idea if it was ever started though.

Tempest

As it was the Atari 7800 was the first console/system to receive several never before on a home system games.   Galaga was one of them, as was Food Fight, Xevious, Pole Position II.

Curt

On a semi-related subject, has anyone ever heard of a 7800 game being ported over to the 8 bit? If 5200 games could be ported, why couldn't 7800 games? Are they incompatible architectures?

It would solve our Galaga situation, which would be ever so great! Galaga is still one of my favourite arcade games! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Are you thinking of Galaxian?

A port simply means a game was converted from one system to another. All arcade games on the Atari (PacMan, DigDug, whatever) are ports of Arcade originals (also called conversions). The term comes from the word transport; to move across, to bring something into a new place via a port. So, to bring a game to a new system is to port it.

-Bry

Ok,

While reading these posts, I think I have Galaga in my collection of disks....is that what is meant by a port???  Me being a newbie, I'm confused, but I do beleive I have that game.

"Galaga" was released for a few game consoles, including the Atari 7800, in the early '80s, but it is an unlikely that a fully playable version was coded (either from scratch or from some of the software architecture of other versions -- a "port") for the 8-bit computers.

The game that you do have is either an unreleased game (extremely unlikely), a "hack" of an existing game (graphics/music modified), or a Galaga clone.

On a semi-related subject, has anyone ever heard of a 7800 game being ported over to the 8 bit?  If 5200 games could be ported, why couldn't 7800 games?  Are they incompatible architectures?

They have completely different graphics capabilities .. the 8-bit would have a hard time matching the 7800's way of manipulating moving objects.

• 4 weeks later...
Galaga was rumored to be in development for the 2600 by programmer Greg Easter (of Snow White fame). No idea if it was ever started though

Just an update. I spoke with Greg and he said that he never was assigned to do Galaga and never even heard of it being planned when he was at Atari.

Another rumor disproven. Shame though, I was really hoping he had programmed it...

Tempest