IGNORED

Let's make our own lynx, with us all it's possible!!!!!!!!!

cyberfox

quote:

Originally posted by :

Let's make our own lynx, with us all it's possible!!!!!!!!!

Who joins?

mail to: lynx@cyberfox.nl

It actually is possible. You would have to have a fair amount of time on your hands to basically do a hardware emulator in VHDL, but a really dedicated hobbiest could do it.

Probably make some cool improvements as well.

Eric

I'm not really sure what the point of this would be... Lynx's aren't terribly difficult to find, and they're not very expensive either. The only advantages I can imagine to making a new Lynx would be:

1. Increase the power efficiency so that you can get more than 5 minutes of battery life

2. Turn the cartridge port around

3. Include a video-out jack so you can plug it into a TV (This sounds neat, though it would probably be huge and blocky in reality)

4. Include a video-in jack so you can watch TV, or play other systems on the Lynx's screen (although the resolution of the normal Lynx screen is not up to this challenge I imagine).

However, the cost of actually accomplishing any of these is a little out of hand... it would probably be easier to make a handheld Pentium with a hard drive, and have it run a Lynx emulator.

--Zero

That's an interesting point to think about, Greg.

My guess would be that the Lynx would probably have been due for an update in the mid to late 90's had Atari still been alive and the Lynx had been successful.

I would have to say that the processor would be something 32-bit (VirtualBoy had a 32bit processor and that was released around this time frame), it would still use a cart format, the screen would definitely have been a higher resolution color LCD. I'm sure they would have sprung for a 4-6 button model for the Lynx's successor.

It's interesting to think about what might have been...

the problem was hasbro and now infrogrames

this two stinks!

they don't care about us lynx fans.

they want only real 3D.

so i said why don't we make our own lynx?

LYNX III

We can start with a little improvements on the orginal building scripts.

The hardware you coukd buy in every hardware store here in the netherlands.

the only problem we stick it to gether.

but it is possible to create the lynx III

If just improve the quilaty of the screen and the RAM memory and thinks like that we are MUCH further, because we have lynxes then.

And otherfans could buy it again.

Now they are hard to find.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg @ TAT:

If the Lynx had continued, what type of hardware would it be today? Since the original Lynx was so much more powerful than the GameBoy, what type of system would it be? 128-bit? Mini-CD based? 6 buttons? Hmmm....

I could think of a bunch of improvements. would like to see more buttons -- basically a D-pad on the left, either another D-pad on the right, four buttons arranged NSEW, or both, and shoulder buttons.

An expansion port would be cool. Also the ability to take memory cards.

How about software upgradeable via Flash ROM? Open system so anyone could write and upload games? Compatible with the original Lynx?

The downside is that this thing would have to be insanely expensive.

Eric

quote:

Originally posted by eric_ruck:

I could think of a bunch of improvements. would like to see more buttons -- basically a D-pad on the left, either another D-pad on the right, four buttons arranged NSEW, or both, and shoulder buttons.

An expansion port would be cool. Also the ability to take memory cards.

How about software upgradeable via Flash ROM? Open system so anyone could write and upload games? Compatible with the original Lynx?

The downside is that this thing would have to be insanely expensive.

Eric

Open system so anyone could write and upload games? YES!!!

Compatible with the original Lynx? - No i don't think so because the disk capacity are to small to save an good game on it!

If the "Lynx of Today" were released, I think the best media would be mini-CD or mini-DVD (like the GameCube.) They would be highly portable and could hold an insane amount of data.

Of course, since the "Lynx of Today" would be so powerful, it could emulate the original Lynx... And all of the Lynx games could easily fit on a mini-CD, there could be re-release packs with original Lynx games on them. Or maybe some kind of adapter to insert original Lynx cards.

Sigh... It's fun to dream, isn't it?

ok, you listen to me and you listen good.

what grounds do you have to go saying

HEY LETS GO MAKE A NEW LYNX!

are you some sort of hardware engineer?

are you some sort of master programmer?

are you some sort of millionaire to fund it?

or are you just some person who just wants something so he goes to people who might be able to do something like this?

WELL HELL! I CAN DO THAT TOO!

HEY GUYS! LETS INVENT COLD FUSION!

HEY GUYS! LETS GO FASTER THAN LIGHT!

HEY GUYS! LETS GO BUY ATARI AND MAKE NEW CONSOLES!

HEY GUYS! LETS GO AND MAKE WORLD PEACE RIGHT NOW!

HEY GUYS! LETS GO AND MAKE A PERFECT ELECTRIC CAR!

HEY GUYS! LETS GO AND MAKE PERSONAL SPACESHIPS!

sure its all possible, but you need to be the largest contributer of all! the wright brothers said "hey guys! lets go make a plane!" and THEY did. Nolan Bushnell said "Hey guys! lets make video games!" and HE did.

AND hey! if you did have some master plan and you had this all done and ready, ignore what I said! but if you can contribute nothing but ideas, then what help are you? all thats left is to dream.

quote:

Originally posted by CyberFox:

Compatible with the original Lynx? - No i don't think so because the disk capacity are to small to save an good game on it!

If memory serves, you have plenty of address space on the original cart's pinout. No reason you couldn't build a slot that would fit the old cards as well as a new format card, like the GBA. For any modern system design, it should be easy enough to run original Lynx games under internal emulation.

E

Im just really annoyed. Im asked stuff on a much lower level but similar to this way, too many times. And I feel that this is just the same kind of crap that I tirelessly am asked to do. Sure its a nice concept and sure I would love to see a nice new Lynx but its not going to happen just cause someone who most likely cannot help anyone who works on it suggests it. and that note about me not getting any? no comment, none at all.

cyberfox,

I dont think a new lynx would be worth it. The new Atari portable should be based on the Jag system. and i guess if you have enough money to do so, I would get a hold of Ben at http://www.classicgaming.com/vcsp/

he has done a few portables, the 2600 first, then he did a protable PS and a portable SNES. I am not sure why he hasent tried to do a portable Jag. he seems to have the access to machines to make his own cases for these units too. I bet if you give him a Jag, some $$ and your desire, he would be interested in making a portable Jag.

Honestly, a revised lynx would be nice and all but then you would need to have new software for it, and who is gonna do that? a portable Jag already has a great line up of games.

doing a portable Jag does have some issues though, do you make it use the CD's too? his portable PS used the CD's but thats all the unit needs to run, here there are carts as well as CDs. I think one would have to make a choice on which software medum to support. unless there is a way to get the software off the carts and onto CDs, or vise versa.

anyhow, thats my imput, I do own a lynx and i think its a pretty good unit. sure it could have been better, but time and tech, are the only things to allow that growth. and if the company cant keep up, then others will fill the void, example: nintendo gameboy.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have the money but I am a hardware engineer with degrees in printed curcuit designs I could with the help of programers design somthing like what you guys want. It wouldent cost me any money cause I've already got a really nice CAD computer at my house. I could do the work in my spare time. but as for manufacturing one of these software publishers would like to back that. as for features AtariAge could host a pole as to what people want. this is not at all impossible.