IGNORED

need help

Heaven/TQA

few minutes friend of mine comes (the one who destroyed 2 c64 i mentioned earlier) and we will have few beers playing bubble bobble (what about an atari port?) summer games, etc...

Actually, the C64 version uses a fair few software sprites if memory serves...?

btw. c64 river raid i find it poorer than the brilliant 4k atari8bit version... and why is the plane blue???

Don't look at me, i didn't code it... =-)

for starting "multiplatform" coder like me, tmr what do you think of this  

http://www.antimon.org/code.php3

i've not read any of it, but anything that Albert of Pu239 (he of PuCruncher fame) writes is worth reading in my book. i'd advise skipping the SciBax Demo Academy and looking through C= Hacking at http://www.ffd2.com/fridge/chacking/ (go back a level for The Fridge as well) or perhaps Puterman/Fairlight's articles at http://user.tninet.se/~uxm165t/demo_progra.../demo_prog.html

just back from drinking & playing session... few comments my friends:

- raid over moscow, beach head nothing special... they are from 1983 but ehm... we played them through after we were connected to the "matrix"... few tries and out of the memory banks everything was there (you never forget how to play a game... ;)) but it's kind of lesson... russians against USA... times are changing...

- dig dug c64 sux... the port seems to be squeezed, levels not accurate, level end jingle missing, etc... (compared to GBA namco classics which we played either)

- space pilot from king soft... man...really crap... 1983... but was fun to play...

- uridium...5 tries... and suddenly the brain give the answer where to land... "aah...i remember now...here you have to land...)

- delta (played more than 1 hour) the preview seems far complete as my mate does know the levels, it impresses me how our brain is saving so useless crap like levels... ;) but this game is really a brilliant...really challenging... btw. does it open the borders top/bottom???

- summer games... same... last time i played summer games was in 80s... the c64 version is not soooo much better than the atari version i must admit, the sprites are higher resolution... but atari has pink "skin" and on c64 you have "white skinned" men... i love the UDSSR flag, and best... FRG hahaha....there were times when germany wasn't united... and in the flag selection it says "W. germany"...cool. i love the "static backgrounds"...

did i miss something...no... after that we played on GBA SP + GC bubble bobble (not the c64 verison, the arcade conversion) until level 97!!!! and then suddenly it seemed that our continues where gone? aaaaaaaaarg... :)

now i have to go to sleep... it was really fun playing c64... as soon as i have back my competition pro joystick i'll play all my atari fave games again... 8bit rules... ("38911 basic bytes free") every mobile as tons of more memory unbelievable...

unfortunatly a lot of classics are missing on the 50 5,25 discs which i would have collection like summer games 2, winter games, drop zone, international karate, spindizzy, ghost & goblins, microprose soccer, whizzball, etc... the guy from whom i bought the c64 must have a strange collection...

hve

dont worry... ;) it remembers me my childhood... and the "magic" around c64 disappears... with the real machine... finally after 16 years i can test the real hardware, thanks ebay...

and i know that this is an atari board... ;) btw. your port of warlords looks great! it looks even better than the version which i have in the PSone atari classics... (no color changes in he fire ball when getting close the the castles).

hve

Hey... don't go getting too cozy with the 64 now... :)

I like mine, but I've never had much interest in coding for it.

-Bry

He has to learn coding on C64 "upside down" and reverse ;)

I think, only when a coder has to left off the ATARI features, he has to build optimized code ... :ponder:

btw. your port of warlords looks great! it looks even better than the version which i have in the PSone atari classics... (no color changes in he fire ball when getting close the the castles).

hve

Thanks! The reason the PSone version does that is because the real Warlords arcade machine uses a B&W monitor and the color is simply a plastic overlay over the screen. Many early arcade games did this to get color. They are emulating the game properly. :)

-Bry

@ brye

what kind of dev tools have you used?

@ tmr

AR mk6 rocks, love the shortcuts and the speed... now much more comfort... :)

unfortunatly my XE cable hasnt arrived yet... :( so not much coding yet...

but as far as i see at the moment... all atari versions which i have tested & played are better in terms of colors and speed...

hve

but as far as i see at the moment... all atari versions which i have tested & played are better in terms of colors and speed...

Because conversions are normally botched... The C64's strength is it's original software, the stuff that's written to use the hardware.

@ brye

what kind of dev tools have you used?

TASM, TextPad, and Atari800Win+. :) Maybe next time I'll try a different assembler.

I also use MicroPainter to whip up gfx on the A8 , and APE to test the results on real hardware.

-Bry

Because conversions are normally botched... The C64's strength is it's original software, the stuff that's written to use the hardware.

Agreed - just fire up Mayhem in Monsterland and have a look at that :)