Photo

did 2600 pack-in games include the box?

18 replies to this topic

#1 CincYnoTi OFFLINE  

CincYnoTi

Stargunner

• 1,666 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:46 PM

i guess i always assumed that the combat pack-in with the atari 2600 system alway came in a combat box. is that true?

i know that the pack-in for the gemini system did not include a box...there is just a cartridge-sized slot in the styrofoam for donkey kong or whatever coleco game came with it.

and what about sears? did target fun come with a target fun box and later, space invaders in the video arcade II?

#2 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,646 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:15 PM

i guess i always assumed that the combat pack-in with the atari 2600 system alway came in a combat box. is that true?

Nope. Pac-man was also a pack-in with the Atari 2600.

#3 Adrian M OFFLINE  

Adrian M

Quadrunner

• 5,620 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:16 PM

I got Combat packed in with my 4 switch Vader back in 1982.

#4 CincYnoTi OFFLINE  

CincYnoTi

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,666 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:21 PM

i'm not asking what game was packed in. the question is...did the packin game come in a game-box or was it a loose cartridge???

#5 MattyXB OFFLINE  

MattyXB

River Patroller

• 2,655 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:26 PM

In germany by the Atari Jr. there was a 32in1 Cartridge packed in with the console. But never with Box. The Box Version is only sold later in UK but without the console, I think.

So the game is later release with Box, but first it was sold without box inside the Atari Box.

#6 NovaXpress OFFLINE  

NovaXpress

Skeet Shooter

• 10,745 posts
  • Still Smokin'

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:37 PM

It came boxed with the Sears model.

#7 Adrian M OFFLINE  

Adrian M

Quadrunner

• 5,620 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:39 PM

i'm not asking what game was packed in.  the question is...did the packin game come in a game-box or was it a loose cartridge???

Oh. Well, my Combat was the full boxed version if that helps. Complete in retail packaging.

#8 Cybertom OFFLINE  

Cybertom

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:49 PM

Hi,

i have the Pac Man and the Combat Atari Pack and both games where complete with Box and Manual and they look exactly the same like the standard retail boxed games.

greetings
Tom

#9 tyranthraxus OFFLINE  

tyranthraxus

Stargunner

• 1,231 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:34 PM

Was Combat ever sold at retail? If so who would buy it? As far as I know
Combat was always the pack in. Even when Pac-man was also included.

John

#10 Adrian M OFFLINE  

Adrian M

Quadrunner

• 5,620 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:52 PM

John

I believe some Atari systems later on only included Pac-Man as the pack-in game. Check on ebay and you're bound to see some 4 switch Vader systems that have labels on their boxes indicating this.

#11 Big Player OFFLINE  

Big Player

River Patroller

• 3,664 posts
  • Overrated 70's dinosaur

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:39 PM

My 2600 back in 1981 had the Combat box with it, which I promptly threw out along with the Christmas wrapping paper.

#12 Mock OFFLINE  

Mock

River Patroller

• 2,337 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:50 PM

Combat was very popular back in the day...lol

#13 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,350 posts

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:38 PM

At five years of age (at the time) All I cared about was ripping that sucker open and playing it. I don't even remember what the boxes looked like, but I think the packins did have boxes. Won't swear to that though.

#14 Room 34 OFFLINE  

Room 34

Quadrunner

• 8,280 posts
  • room34.com

Posted Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:59 PM

John

The Sears Video Arcade came with Target Fun (Air-Sea Battle) as the pack-in, not Combat (or as Sears called it, Tank Plus).

So... I can see Sears selling Tank Plus. I can't imagine sales of Combat getting very high though... unless people SOMEHOW wore out their Combat carts and needed replacements.

To answer the original question... I am fairly certain that the pack-in Combat I got with my VCS back in 1982 DID come complete in a box. And I know for a fact that the pack-in Pac-Man carts that came later, both for the 2600 and 5200, came in the full retail boxes... but they had big "NOT FOR INDIVIDUAL SALE" stickers on them.

(On a side note, I bought my Atari 7800 "new in box" from Telegames in 1997, and Pole Position II did NOT come in a box... IIRC it was wrapped in bubble wrap.)

#15 rolenta OFFLINE  

rolenta

Stargunner

• 1,043 posts

Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:05 AM

My first VCS, which I bought in 1979, came with Combat that was packaged in the original box with the gatefold cover.

#16 Dolt OFFLINE  

Dolt

Dragonstomper

• 554 posts

Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:06 AM

I imagine it would have to come packed up, because how else do you teach consumers to recognize an Atari cart box? If they don't know what they look like, they won't buy more of them from behind the counter at Child World. It's basic consumer education, and lets face it--it worked. I am so imprinted, I can spot an Atari box at 50 feet just by the shape and size of lettering on the front. I'm sure the rest of you can too. :D

#17 Room 34 OFFLINE  

Room 34

Quadrunner

• 8,280 posts
  • room34.com

Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:08 AM

I imagine it would have to come packed up, because how else do you teach consumers to recognize an Atari cart box?

DING DING DING!!!

#18 CincYnoTi OFFLINE  

CincYnoTi

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,666 posts

Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:05 PM

i had been assuming that combat pack-ins came boxed, but since i have never opened up a brand new boxed atari, i really was not certain. i have been trying to figure out what box style of target fun should have been packed in to which video arcade box style. then i started wondering about the various combat boxes i have and the different atari 2600 system styles & boxes also. i have about six different combat box styles. but i only have one atari system box.

through what year was combat the pack-in for atari 2600s? heavy-sixer through vader model?

did the 2600 jr ever have a pack-in game in the US?

#19 Room 34 OFFLINE  

Room 34

Quadrunner

• 8,280 posts
  • room34.com

Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:11 PM

I think when the Vader came out the pack-in situation got more complicated. Where I lived, the Vader was marketed with BOTH Combat and Pac-Man as pack-ins, but apparently Asteroids and Space Invaders were both possible pack-ins for it as well, hence their silver label variants. But no silver label Pac-Man. Hmmm... I guess they probably had so many unsold copies of Pac-Man already prepared that they just threw those in the box.

I got my Atari in May 1982. It was a woodgrain 4-switch, and Combat was the only pack-in. It came in the ordinary (non-gatefold) retail box.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users