IGNORED

Jaguar Interactive II

The Helper

Why is it you see very little information or questions about JII when its down. Look at all the posts there, where do those people go when its down for days? How come they don't discuss it on other forums? Pretty much the alternative forums I know about are.

http://www.atariage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb...?ubb=forum&f=14

http://forums.atari.org/list.php3?num=7

http://forums.atari.net/cgi-bin/ubb/forumd...e=45&LastLogin=

http://venus.beseen.com/boardroom/c/17653/

and sometimes Jag is mentioned at the NUON Forum

http://www.nuontalk.tv/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

The Helper

I personally think the UBB style forum, like this forum, is the best type of forum there is. I am used to Jaguar Interactive II but it would be so much better if it were on this type of forum, in my opinion. I like this place alot and I think of myself as a regular here - and it seems to get more traffic then some of the others.

I think AtariAge is destined to be the next "big thing," it used to be AtariHQ&classic forum&JI2, but it rarely gets updated anymore, unlike here, it used to be my homepage, but now AtariAge is, and AtariHQ&JI2 are slowly, notch by notch, moving to the bottom of my "bookmarks." Years ago, my hompage was Jagu-Dome, but that faded out too. Of course they are still there, but updates and traffic are minimal. The Atari Times might be another option, it is the also an up and coming "going concern" like AtariAge.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

...it used to be AtariHQ&classic forum&JI2, but it rarely gets updated anymore, unlike here, it used to be my homepage, but now AtariAge is, and AtariHQ&JI2 are slowly, notch by notch, moving to the bottom of my bookmarks.

It is a shame really. As far as I know, there are no updates other than an occasional news item or game review.

I guess it just got to be too much for one person to handle as I don't think Les is involved much these days. Kudos to Keita for keeping it going as I know he is very busy with work and family.

John

quote:

Originally posted by CX2K:

It is a shame really. As far as I know, there are no updates other than an occasional news item or game review.

I guess it just got to be too much for one person to handle as I don't think Les is involved much these days. Kudos to Keita for keeping it going as I know he is very busy with work and family.

John

yeah, it is nice that someone is actually running it still, or it my all be gone by now, and there is still a *LOT* of essencial information on the site that can't be found anywhere else, I often send people there who need info on something, but I can't suggest it as a mainstay forum to hang out at anymore...it would be cool if the people that the Jag community owes thanks too, would find out how great this place is and hang here, like Carl at Songbird and T-bird from ScataLOGIC/4play, and of course others who play a major role in the Jag's survival. But most of them don't seem to be quite as "retro" as us, I know Carl only concerns himself with the Jaguar and Lynx (as far as I know), so since this site (AtariAge) handles everything, and is not Jag specific, they hang at the sites that lean towards the Jaguar and Lynx. Makes sense, of course, but maybe we need to preach about the AtariAge Jag forum more, as the new definitive Jag place...

I was searching around to see if there was an alternative Jag forum that could take up the JI2 slack, but all I found was a couple posts with similiar questions to yours here. I have no idea where they go, I guess the bottle it all up inside and just wait till ji2 is up and blow-up there. It's strange, but you know something, if the latest news form Sonbird, ScatoLOGIC and others gets posted elsewhere, then I have no need for JI2 anymore anyway. I got far to sick of all the BS going on there, even BS about BS . The best of the bunch, guys like you and Tempest and a few others come here or the classic forum anyway, and it leaves all the jerks behind. I swear 90% of the people there now aren't worth my time, not to be a hypocrite, I know I did my share of flaming and bad arguments with vindictive, judgemental people like EThunter, someone else I certainly won't miss, but it has gotten way out of hand and I go there less and less anyway. It is the only forum I frequent that can't have logical, productive discussions and information shared. There is always someone who throws a wrench into the works and start something. It's really a shame, I have frequented there since the beginning, and on JI1 even before that, it has degraded into a mosh pit of Euro trash and morons. IMHO

quote:

Originally posted by The Helper:

JII is back up.

Strange...I'm actually disappointed. I got an e-mail from Carl and Sonbird's mailing list that was suggesting Ataritimes and Ataricentral as alternatives and I replied suggesting he check out this board. I was kinda hoping to get the word out better about Atari Age. I would do it on JI2, but I don't want to attract the rif-raf there over here either...so I was going to do it on the lesser boards that don't seem to attract some of the morons as much. But hey, maybe the fact that they have to sign up will discourage adolescent tendencies...

Maybe the break everyone had from JI2 cooled things down and it can become a more civil board again...I'll give it one more chance, but I'm not going to change it back to my home page...hopefully things will be better now.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

But most of them don't seem to be quite as "retro" as us, I know Carl only concerns himself with the Jaguar and Lynx (as far as I know), so since this site (AtariAge) handles everything, and is not Jag specific, they hang at the sites that lean towards the Jaguar and Lynx.

Actually, I have over 150 2600 carts, and at least 30 7800 carts. I love the classic systems, just don't have much time to play them nowadays. Which would you rather have, me playing games or creating games?

Carl Forhan

Songbird Productions

quote:

Originally posted by :

Actually, I have over 150 2600 carts, and at least 30 7800 carts. I love the classic systems, just don't have much time to play them nowadays. Which would you rather have, me playing games or creating games?

Carl Forhan

Songbird Productions

Actually, I was refering to the creating games aspect, not whether or not your a retro fan. You don't make games for other sytems besides the Jaguar and Lynx (like I said, "as far as I know," maybe you secretly have some in the works). Sorry for being too unspecific.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I suggested JII change over to a UBB style and the suggestion was not too kindly taken. Some people liked the idea but a majority of the regulars do not want the forum being jacked with at all. I just cannot understand why people cannot see that these kinds of forums are just soooooo much better than what they are using there. Oh well.

quote:

Well I suggested JII change over to a UBB style and the suggestion was not too kindly taken. Some people liked the idea but a majority of the regulars do not want the forum being jacked with at all. I just cannot understand why people cannot see that these kinds of forums are just soooooo much better than what they are using there. Oh well.

Well, you've managed to suck me into that discussion now. I hope I don't get flamed too severely. At least I can take comfort that if I do, the messages will scroll away after a few days..

..Al

Actually, the discussion was really rather civil and I don't think anyone got flamed. The JII forum owner stepped in and made quite a long post about the history of there forum and why its going to stay the way it is.

The good thing about this is I have had a major brainstorm on how to get the some of the features that a UBB gives in that forum without having to change anything on the forum software end of it. These features include

automatically entering your name, email address, and signature to your posts on the forum

I can do it using Java Script and it would be in your bookmarks, all you do is select the bookmark and it automatically adds the information to the message posting fields. If enough people like it I can make a form button that possibly JII would consider adding to the posting form to add the functionality to the forum.

Baby Steps - i think that is how to initiate change on a forum like JII.

quote:

Actually, the discussion was really rather civil and I don't think anyone got flamed. The JII forum owner stepped in and made quite a long post about the history of there forum and why its going to stay the way it is.

True, there was no flaming in the "screaming and shouting" sense of the term, although you can tell there certainly are strong feelings on this issue. I don't think JII will ever change, which is fine if that's what most of the members want. But I still think it's a shame that messages scroll off so quickly. I'm certainly not going to spend any more time pressing the case for a threaded-style board.

Like I said on JII (I responded to Keita's message), people have a choice and there's nothing stopping them from using both boards. I don't really expect many JII members to frequent AtariAge, but hopefully a few will pop over here from time to time and offer their insight.

..Al