IGNORED

Big announcement--Part 1

landsmarra

Hi guys!

Well, here's the first part of my big announcement...my beautiful Little Pam aka 5100, aka 5200jr straight from the man Dan Kramer himself! For those who have never seen one in person, it is about the size of a 7800 but heavier.

Dan finally broke down and we made a deal for some stuff...this being the first part. He also sent an autographed CX53 (of course) and the 300-page Atari parts listing (real cool).

I have tested it with my Sean multicart and I haven't found any game incompatibilities so far (Mountain King and Pitfall play fine).

Please let me know anything else you would like to know about the unit.

Part 2 soon...stay tuned

post-2427-1069711826_thumb.jpg

Wow - if there is a holy grail or just plain coolest piece of Atari equipment, the 5100 is probably it for me. Looks great - congrats. on that landsmarra. How many protos were made? How serious was Atari about actually releasing it? I know the 2600 Jr. was a low-cost venture for Atari and I think they feel "cheaper" than the regular 2600s. The 5100 seems pretty sturdy though. Again - nice system!

To answer some questions:

The unit has two 15-pin 5200 joystick ports.

The unit also has some nice heft to it and definitely doesn't look/feel chintzy ala the 2600jr.

Dan did not remember for sure how many were made, however he hinted at a probable low survival rate (well, we know Mitch has one!) The one he sold me was the only one he had ever owned and he only knows of a few out there.

As to why Atari shitcanned it before release, Dan says it's just one of those dumb Atari decisions. Anyone else know different?

@sku-u...you wanted to see the joystick ports or the cart port??

Thanks to all for your interest.

Steve

NICE 8)

Regarding the cheapness of the 2600 Jr. Are there any Warner era

prototypes of it around? Are they as cheap? Same question for 1984

7800s. I have a feeling the cheapness of the Jr is partially due to it

being of the Tramiel era. Everything they released seems pretty flimsy

compared to Warner stuff and what Atari's competition were putting out

at the time. Except for the plastic I am pretty impressed with the 2600jr

its a pretty compact little unit and is my favorite 2600 version.

The only dissapoint for me with the 5100 is that it departs a bit from the

sleek 5200. In a perfect world I'd like to see that in a minature version.

Say does the 2600 adapter work with it?

John

Dan did not remember for sure how many were made, however he hinted at a probable low survival rate (well, we know Mitch has one!)  The one he sold me was the only one he had ever owned and he only knows of a few out there.

There are 4 know in the hands of collectors. Besides you and me, there's Curt and Keita.

You and Curt have the full units. Keita's is missing the metal strip and mine is only the board.

Incidentaly, mine doesn't even have the holes for the RF shielding. Does yours have an RF shield in it.

Mitch

More answers to queries:

I don't own a 2600jr and my 5200 is currently being modded for s-vid...I can take a pic of it next to a 7800.

I haven't yet tried a VCS adapter in it...I will tomorrow.

I'll have to open it up to see about the shielding...again tomorrow.

@sku u--I will take a pic of the js ports tomorrow.

Steve

Dan did not remember for sure how many were made, however he hinted at a probable low survival rate (well, we know Mitch has one!) The one he sold me was the only one he had ever owned and he only knows of a few out there.  

Curt Vendel and John Hardie both own one. I think one other person I know owns one too, but his name escapes me for the moment (or maybe he was just holding Curt's?). I would have gone after one, but proto hardware is just too expensive, I think I'll stick to software.

Tempest

Curt Vendel and John Hardie both own one.  I think one other person I know owns one too, but his name escapes me for the moment (or maybe he was just holding Curt's?).  I would have gone after one, but proto hardware is just too expensive, I think I'll stick to software.

Tempest

So John own's it then and not Keita?

Mitch