IGNORED

Boosting Jag Sound Output?

the_shrubb

Does anyone have anyt info about boosting the sound on the Jag? It's just so damn quiet. In games like Flashback, I can barely hear the game over the sound of my TV speaker screeching (I have a very crummy TV). I've been looking for a catbox, since I know it did something like that, but those are realy hard to find from what I hear.

Thanks!!

I do know there were some "proto type" stereo mini-jack boards that plugged into the back 0f the jaguar and then the video cable plugged into it. It was just a bare board, but either B&C Computervisions or Best Electronics or both were selling some for a while. They may still have some in stock. Although, I have no idea if they amplified the output in anyway through the mini-din like the catbox does...links to both sites are in the links page here at AtariAge.

B&C still has it listed in their online catalog for only $19.95, not bad for a proto. It's near the top of the Jaguar section on B&C's site. Just go to the links page here, scroll down to "Dealers" and click on their name.

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

I have a Catbox, and it's fantastic. They're very rare though, so that's a little impractical. I'd suggest hooking it up with a composite video cable... you might get slightly higher quality audio with that (and you'd also get higher quality video to boot). Since you say you have a crappy TV though, there's a good chance you might not even be able to do composite on it

--Zero

Where can I get composite cables for the Jag? I didn't even know they existed, but that doesn't mean anything, since I'm pretty new with the Jag. I think part of my problem may be my TV too. Maybe I should stop buying so many consoles and invest in a new TV.

Try checking some of the Dealers linked to from AtariAge's links page if you want a new one. You might also find some of them on eBay. I've never had to look for one myself, so I have no idea how easy/hard they are to find.

However, if your TV is making so much noise you can't hear the system, then I'm not sure this will help much... chances are your TV is just crappy. Have you tried other systems with it? I know that my Nintendo gives a LOT more noise than any of my other systems... but I got the thing for $2, so I'm not concerned

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Shrubbery:

Where can I get composite cables for the Jag? I didn't even know they existed, but that doesn't mean anything, since I'm pretty new with the Jag. I think part of my problem may be my TV too. Maybe I should stop buying so many consoles and invest in a new TV.

I suggest buying an S-Video connection if your TV has S-Video inputs, but even composite cables will be much better than using an RF signal. If you look at this page on B&C Computervision's site, you'll see that they have Composite and S-Video cables for $19.95. You can probably find them elsewhere, but I would definitely order one if you can. It'll make your Jaguar experience much more pleasurable.

I don't know if it'll do anything for your audio, though. I can say that I haven't had any problems with the level of Jaguar sound output when using S-Video and Composite cables (I've never tried using the RF output).

..Al

You want to know something strange? I've never actually heard the sound output with RF to the TV. I've had to use the RF at times when I haven't had a tv with video/s-video, but I've always had video and/or S-video cables to hook up the sound along with the RF for video. So I don't know just how bad or good rf sound can be...I do know that the Jaguar's amplification is not a good as other systems like my 3DO or Dreamcast, but I have them all hooked up to an amplified surround system, so it's just a matter of turning the volume up or down a bit depending on whether I'm playing the Jag or another system. The catbox's mini-din phone jacks definately boost sound output to even beyond that of the other systems (I always used an RS mini-din-to-RCA adapter on the catbox which gave extraordinary sound output. The RCA jacks on a catbox may have some additional amplitude over the Jaguar alone, but they are not as good as the mini-din headphone jacks.