IGNORED

The Jaguar Controller Appreciation Thread

Ze_ro

I'm sure all you Jaguar owners out there have friends who, upon seeing/holding the Jaguar controller, said something stupid about the size, or the telephone pad or whatnot. Well y'know what? I happen to think that the Jaguar has one of the best controllers for any of the console systems, and this thread is here to emphasize that fact. So if you happen to really like the Jaguar's controller (or the ProController... it's pretty much the same), then post here!

--Zero

I do I think its really comfortible, all of the controls are in the right places, far superior to the n64's controler (which is the only control I've seen to have almost as many buttons). How many three handed people did nintendo imagine would buy their machine? I really cant understand that design.

The only thing that I think might have helped the jaguar pad might have been shoulder buttons, but its not important. Btw where can I get a pro controler, I'd really love a pair but I cant find them anywhere, just the original ones.

Best controller I've ever used. Second best controller is my Logitech NUON gamepad.

The Jag pads are perfect in every respect. It feels like you are holding a nice bagel-like object, the fire buttons are placed logically, and the option/pause/keypad buttons are made of rubber--nice touch.

I can use a Jag pad for hours with no ill effects or cramping.

Let the disillusioned morons say what they will about our Jaguar controllers...their PS pads are terrible and resemble the horns from a demon or something.

I like the Jaguar controller. It's comfortable to hold and the thumb pad and buttons are relatively easy to use. Even the keypad buttons are relatively easy to hit with your thumbs. It's certainly the best one produced by Atari, but that's not saying too much given how many stinkers they put out (5200 and 7800 controllers come to mind). However, the Directional Pad feels kind of cheap to me.

I've never used the Pro Controller, although I do have one now. When I next sit down for a weekend of non-stop Jaguar playing, I'll be sure to plug it in and give it a whirl.

As for other controllers, I really like Sony's Dual Shock controller. I also thought the N64 controller was pretty innovative and comfortable, although my thumb would sometimes get sore after many hours of playing games that used the analog stick (which was most of them). I'm not fond of the XBox controller though (we have a ton of them here since we're developing XBox titles). It's very large, heavy and the buttons aren't placed very well at all. And they put that through focus groups?!?

..Al

I also like the Jaguar controllers, both regular and Pro. (Personally I don't think there's that much difference in 'feel' between the two.)

I have always flet that most controllers (PSX, SNES, etc.) are either sized for children's hands or just plain have awkward ergonomics. The Jaggy's controllers have a nice feel and heft to them.

I really can tell a difference between the regular and Pro controllers - the buttons feel a lot different and the Pro Controller is just more comfortable for me.

Believe it or not, the most comfortable controller I have ever used is the Logitech NUON game pad. It has a problem with the analog stick not giving full motion (I dont care for analog anyway), but it just feels awesome in my hands - I could play for days.

I have disliked just about every controller I have ever held, from the 2600 cubes, to the NES rectangles to the Saturn and Sony pads. I do think the Sony dual-shock (or whatever they are called) are a big improvement over the originals, but I prefer the larger after market versions put out by companies such as MAD CATZ. I don't mind the Dreamcast controllers, they are pretty nice.

But I have never loved a controller more than the Jag pro-controllers (and originals to a lesser degree). Most other controllers definately feel like they were made for small Japanese or children's hands and my hands always ended up cramping up with them. The procontroller fits soooo nicely, with the place for your secondary fingers underneath, while your index fingers are on the shoulder buttons, it gives me a very secure feeling. I have never had any problems with fatigue or cramping with this controller. If I could, I would use it for everything from driving my car to flying the Starship Enterprise. Every Jag fan owes it to themselves to get a procontroller, if you like the originals, you'll absolutely love the procontroller. It does have a slightly different feel to the original because it isn't quite as thick, but I imagine they did that because on the originals, you put your index fingers in the slots on the bottom (at least I did), and with the pro, you move your index fingers to the shoulder buttons and secondaries are underneath. It feels awsome! The thing that always got me was how "others" ragged about the Jag's controllers for being to big, and then what do you know, Sony, Sega, Nintendo and Microsoft suddenly start making controllers roughly the same size. Idiots. Oh, but NOW the larger controllers on the other systems get RAVE reviews. Idiots. They all just had to rag about anything and everything they could about the Jag because they had a bone to pick with Atari's management. Idiots. Did I mention that they were/are all IDIOTS?!? Jag controllers ROCK!!!

[ 10-26-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

I've used many different controllers on many different consoles, and I'd have to say the Jag's are my favorite. I've never used a controller that fit my hand so perfectly. The only other controller that comes close to it is the Dreamcast controllers, and those are a very distant second. Unfortunately, the Jaguar controller is the only Atari controller I've ever been happy with.

Oh well, I suppose it just took them awhile to get it right.