IGNORED

MP3's of Tempest CD?

Tyrant

Would any proud owners of a Tempest Soundrack CD be generous to rip it to MP3? Yes I know its evil and illeagal and all that, but on my budget (ie zero) its the best way to get music, and I really do adore the tempest music (especially if it has the jupiter ribbon bonus stage music).

Well Im on icq at 13590484, or msn (but its file transfers cant be resumed) at tyrant_of_arx@hotmail.com thats two ways hehe, I could also set up a small ftp server on my machine if you dont have either msn or icq, email me for the address, but icq is preferible if you have it)

quote:

Originally posted by The Helper:

What is a good free program to use to rip it?

If you want a really fast download and source code to boot, you can go to Tucows and get akrip. If you know C, the source code is pretty interesting. This is a fast download because it is a command line program.

The best free MP3 encoder (hell, the best MP3 encoder priod) is LAME ("LAME is not An MP3 Encoder" -- yes, odd name, having to do with its origins). Together with the RazorLame front-end it's an excellent and top quality encoder.

Links (will open in new browse window):

RazorLame

LAME Homepage

NOTE: LAME is distributed from its homepage as source code only, but precompiled Win32 versions can be found all over the place.

I reccommend 192Kb/s encoding rate, as that produces excellent quality with only a modest increase in file size over 128Kb/s. However if you want smaller file sizes, encoding at 96, 112 or 128Kb/s minimum VBR (variable bit-rate) is a great alternative.

And incidentally I'd love to check those MP3s out. I've never heard the CD versions; I only have the original MODs used in the game.

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]