IGNORED

? for Sunmark ...

DracIsBack

Happy Holidays to everyone....

Here are a few of the items I am working on:

1. A Lynx cartridge (1Mb/2Mb).

2. An adapter so you can use 2600 joysticks with the emulators on your PC.

3. MIDIMate Interface.

4. SpartaDOS X cartridge.

Better yet, why don't you guys tell me what you would like to see for the

400/800/XL computers and I will make it!!

Mark

Happy Holidays to everyone....

Here are a few of the items I am working on:

1. A Lynx cartridge (1Mb/2Mb).

2. An adapter so you can use 2600 joysticks with the emulators on your PC.

Better yet, why don't you guys tell me what you would like to see for the

400/800/XL computers and I will make it!!

Mark

Both items 1 and 2 interest me. Nearly ANYthing for the Lynx would be cool, and to be able to use a Slik Stik with Atari800WIN or my 2600 emulator...man, that'd be sweet!

Here's a thought... What about a 2600 emulator for the 8 bit line? I would suspect the emulator and all the games would probably fit on a cart, and I would also suspect that the A8 could handle the 2600 graphics.

I never thought about this before... odd... does such an emulator even exist these days?

(sorry...sometimes, I swear, I must be the King of Off-Topic... :roll: )

Here's a thought... What about a 2600 emulator for the 8 bit line?  I would suspect the emulator and all the games would probably fit on a cart, and I would also suspect that the A8 could handle the 2600 graphics.

This isn't as easy as it sounds. The CPU in the 8-bit is only 50% faster than the 2600's and that advantage is mostly lost once screen DMA is turned on. That leaves practically nothing to emulate the TIA chip with which is a pretty hefty job since all accesses must be emulated cycle-exact. The only way is the way the 5200 does it - with a 2600 in an adapter.

-Bry

Wasn't someone, like maybe Video61, looking at putting Alternate Reality on a cartridge at one time? Would be great if it could be done.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a cart (or carts) of Epyx adventure games like Temple of Apshai (with the expansions like Upper Reaches), Star Warrior, Crush-Crumble-Chomp, etc.

Mendon

There already exists and adapter to run Atari joysticks on a PC (for emulators or anything else). Check www.pccompetitor.com. It lets you use two unmodified Atari 2600 (or 7800, SMS) joysticks/controllers through a gameport. I use it, however, with a USB adapter so I can plug the joysticks into the front of my case, or use them on my laptop. Absolutely perfect with Atari800winPLus on XP.

Anyway, I'd be interested to see what Sunmark comes up with.

Wasn't someone, like maybe Video61, looking at putting Alternate Reality on a cartridge at one time? Would be great if it could be done.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a cart (or carts) of Epyx adventure games like Temple of Apshai (with the expansions like Upper Reaches), Star Warrior, Crush-Crumble-Chomp, etc.

Mendon

Nir Dary's the guy to ask. He made me a multi-cart of the Level 9 graphic adventures, and it's just great. :)

Nir Dary's the guy to ask. He made me a multi-cart of the Level 9 graphic adventures, and it's just great.  :)

You mean he made you a cart of the games I was suggesting? If so, is he on here very often?

Thanks for any info!

Mendon

Level 9 produced a number of high-quality graphic adventures for a number of consoles in the mid- to late- '80s. Few North Americans are likely to be very familiar with them, as they had limited distribution here.

I don't know if Nir has produced an "Epyx multicart" yet. I know that he has made themed multicarts with (respectively) Activision, Sonix, DataSoft (my favourite!), and Zeppelin titles, and they're all excellent.

Nir is often on here as ndary. I believe his e-mail is nir@minicom.com :)

> Here are a few of the items I am working on:

> 1. A Lynx cartridge (1Mb/2Mb).

> 2. An adapter so you can use 2600 joysticks with the emulators on your

> PC.

> 3. MIDIMate Interface.

> 4. SpartaDOS X cartridge.

> Better yet, why don't you guys tell me what you would like to see for the

> 400/800/XL computers and I will make it!!

> Mark

I would like a BeWeDOS cartridge as opposed to SpartaDOS X because BeWe has lower requirements (and will run on my Atari 800). I bought your InstaDOS cartridge, but BeWe is my fave.

I also definitely would like an easy-to-use adapter to use Atari-style joystick on a PC with the emulators, for 8bit or Atari 2600, or even MAME or whatever. That would be excellent!

Personally I'd love to see the rest of the multi-cart series. Plus

there are a ton of old disc games I would pay to have in cart format.

Such as:

Archon 1 or 2 (I know Archon 1 had a later cart release)

Bruce Lee

Spelunker

Lucasarts games (The Eidolon (of course), Koronis Rift, etc.)

Boulderdash series

Mail Order Monsters (did this have save files?)

Jumpman

a MULE re-release would be nice for those of us who missed it...

Some of these may have been released as XL/XE carts already--I'm

not very knowledgable about later Atari releases.

--The Eidolon

Level 9 produced a number of high-quality graphic adventures for a number of consoles in the mid- to late- '80s. Few North Americans are likely to be very familiar with them, as they had limited distribution here.  

I don't know if Nir has produced an "Epyx multicart" yet. I know that he has made themed multicarts with (respectively) Activision, Sonix, DataSoft (my favourite!), and Zeppelin titles, and they're all excellent.  

Nir is often on here as ndary. I believe his e-mail is nir@minicom.com  :)

Thanks for the info, David. Much appreciated.

I'm not familiar at all with the Level 9 games. I'll have to look them up on the web and see what the games are and such. I used to play the Epyx games all the time:

Temple of Apshai was my first RPG and I had the original and all the expansions. Loved the game. Some of the expansions did get a little silly, though.. I mean KILLER CHICKENS???

Crush-Crumble-Chomp was another favorite of mine that I spent many, many hours with. Loved stomping tanks, crushing buildings, and taking out aircraft; maybe thats why I like Iron Soldier so much. And the sound of your monster eating something was hilarious.

Star Warrior Many people I talked with never liked the game that much but I loved the strategy parts of it where you had to select your weapons, fuel, etc and use them wisely. Took a lot of planning for each mission as the game progressed.

I've still got Apshai (but not the expansions) and CCC but would love to play SW again.

Mendon

Bruce Lee

"Bruce Lee" has been available on cart for a number of years from Video 61, etc.

"Ballblazer" and "Rescue on Fractalus" were, of course, XEGS releases, and I agree that it really would be nice to see these two burned onto carts, as well. :)

Boulderdash series

Jumpman

"Boulderdash" had a very limited original cart release (now almost impossible to find at a decent price), and "Jumpman" was released on cart as well.

"Ballblazer" and "Rescue on Fractalus" were, of course, XEGS releases, and I agree that it really would be nice to see these two burned onto carts, as well. :)

Certainly I've started on "The Eidolon", its I/O is done using direct serial port requests/interrupts (in order to do the music during loading) and so this needs to be reworked to 'get data from cart instead'. I'll not be getting back to this until the new year though :(

Regards,

Mark

Regarding Bruce Lee as a cart:

I didn't see it listed at Video 61.  Do you know of other stores which  

carry it?  Don't care if it's new/used/reproduction.

Thanks,  

--The Eidolon

By golly, you're right! It's best to order this one from Best Electronics:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/xe_game.htm