IGNORED

Ultra Vortex Secrets

Ze_ro

We already know about how to fight Carbon in this game... but rumors were flying around before that it was possible to play as Carbon... and that there was another secret character to go along with the second secret stage. Did anyone ever figure out if these secrets even exist? Any Beyond Games employees around here?

--Zero

• 18 years later...
54 minutes ago, tripled79 said:

Why does this game often get misspelled as Vortex? I thought it clearly spelled as Vortek.

I believe when the game was first announced, the name Ultra Vortex was floating around.  Whether as a misspelled information leak, or as a potential alternate name, I have no idea.  Maybe because "vortek" isn't an actual word?  But for whatever reason, I've seen that misspelling since before the game even launched. 

• Like 1

Back when I owned this game, I had a feeling there were lots of secrets to unlock, but couldn't figure them out. I did discover most of the "Annihilators" by trial and error. Then Tips and Tricks magazine printed a poopality and blew my mind!

It wasn't until years later after I no longer owned the game that I found online there were all kinds of codes for extra backgrounds and characters and it made me sad...

13 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

I believe when the game was first announced, the name Ultra Vortex was floating around.  Whether as a misspelled information leak, or as a potential alternate name, I have no idea.  Maybe because "vortek" isn't an actual word?  But for whatever reason, I've seen that misspelling since before the game even launched. 

I'm going from some pretty feint memory here but I recall the game was initially titled 'Ultra VorteX' and had this title during its alpha/beta stages. It became 'Vortek' some time before release but after it had appeared in lists of upcoming games; the fact the two get used interchangeably is understandable.

I do have the beta ROM somewhere - alas, I can't find it at the moment to check the title screen - but if the above is correct:

Ultra VorteK - Release

Ultra VorteX - Beta

You know, I would like this game more but its badly broken.  If you use Lucius, you only need to use his high or low "hawk attack" and you can walk through the game on any difficulty, or  a second player.  Its only challenge it you decide to never use this attack.  But, theres a cheat/secret for you, use Lucius, he's un-beatable.  

15 hours ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

You know, I would like this game more but its badly broken.  If you use Lucius, you only need to use his high or low "hawk attack" and you can walk through the game on any difficulty, or  a second player.  Its only challenge it you decide to never use this attack.  But, theres a cheat/secret for you, use Lucius, he's un-beatable.  

Yeah, I think I figured that out too. That move is unblockable if memory serves correctly. Kinda like the no Oddjob rule on Goldeneye.

Its blockable, but it does chip damage, so they are forced to block until you "chip" away all their health, or they can try anything, and I mean anything and die very fast.   Even the last boss is helpless.  Shame.  If you want a fair challenge that means Kasumi Ninja or Dragon is the only way to go.  Fight for Life is broke as well, just jump kicks will walk you to a perfect game too. 

On 8/7/2020 at 9:34 AM, 7800JAGFAN said:

Its blockable, but it does chip damage, so they are forced to block until you "chip" away all their health, or they can try anything, and I mean anything and die very fast.   Even the last boss is helpless.  Shame.  If you want a fair challenge that means Kasumi Ninja or Dragon is the only way to go.  Fight for Life is broke as well, just jump kicks will walk you to a perfect game too. 

Kasumi Ninja for the win!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 6:14 AM, 7800JAGFAN said:

try double dragon V - that game is way broken but it still sells like a gold seller- I own the genesis version which immensely superior to all other versions- the SNES version is very similar to the Jaguar version because the gameplay and the enemy A.i. cheapshots by constantly blocking. the Sega version plays really well and has the most characters, 2 playable bosses and 2 scenarios with endings for all players. 

On 12/20/2001 at 12:06 AM, Ze_ro said:

We already know about how to fight Carbon in this game... but rumors were flying around before that it was possible to play as Carbon... and that there was another secret character to go along with the second secret stage. Did anyone ever figure out if these secrets even exist? Any Beyond Games employees around here?

--Zero

I do not know if it works for Carbon but I know how to fight as the Gardian. I need to try it out again in order to be sure of the manipulation. Give a few days and I will try it again and give the instructions here.

Spoiler

The ending is also adapted to this character.

Edited by ARETHIUS
New info added