IGNORED

linking two jags

jenx82

i'm thinking about getting another jag and linking it to the one i have now for a 2 player mode in doom, i can can pick up another copy of doom and a jag for under 20 pounds from my local store.

i was just wondering if it was worth doing, and how good it is????

thanx

It is well worth it if you can get it all for that cheap. You do need the Jaglink though, as catboxes are extremely rare&expensive and I've heard conflicting rumours as to wether Doom works with the catbox anyway. There is a mod floating around somewhere on the net for hacking a JagDoom cable together, which may work better with Doom than the jaglink, but I don't know. Doom on the Jag always had the problem of crashing on occasion. This can be reduced or increased, depending on the series, I believe K and M serial numbers are out there, how long the cord is and what options you have set in the game. But, it is still extremely fun and worth the occasional crash (it just recovers and starts you at the beginning or random spot depending on the game mode). Then there is also Battlesphere and Aircars that both work and work well with both the Jaglink and catbox, crashing is rare...so are the games...

Death match (DOOM) is worth every penny and system crash though...

[ 12-24-2001: Message edited by: Gunstar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

It is well worth it if you can get it all for that cheap. You do need the Jaglink though, as catboxes are extremely rare&expensive and I've heard conflicting rumours as to wether Doom works with the catbox anyway. There is a mod floating around somewhere on the net for hacking a JagDoom cable together, which may work better with Doom than the jaglink, but I don't know. Doom on the Jag always had the problem of crashing on occasion.

I'll have to see if I can track down that mod so I can add it to a Jaguar Archives section I'm working on (slowly). If you happen to run across it I'd appreciate it if you could send the link to me.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a good deal of time trying to network two Jaguars to play Doom. It's something that can be done much more reliably between two PCs, where it'll run faster, have a higher resolution, and be much more stable. Plus control is much better on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. And you won't have to worry about having two televisions near enough each other. It's cool for events like JagFest, but if you just want to play Deathmatch Doom, I'd personally just use a computer for that purpose.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

I'll have to see if I can track down that mod so I can add it to a Jaguar Archives section I'm working on (slowly). If you happen to run across it I'd appreciate it if you could send the link to me.

Personally, I wouldn't spend a good deal of time trying to network two Jaguars to play Doom. It's something that can be done much more reliably between two PCs, where it'll run faster, have a higher resolution, and be much more stable. Plus control is much better on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. And you won't have to worry about having two televisions near enough each other. It's cool for events like JagFest, but if you just want to play Deathmatch Doom, I'd personally just use a computer for that purpose.

..Al

Sorry, but that is totally a matter of personal preference. I HATE using a keyboard and mouse to play (especiallY) corridor/FPS shooters. I much prefer using a Jag controller and playing on my large TV over the PC anyday. This is true of any console OR one of the very few games I actually do play on the PC (I have a gravis pad that Ive played both doom and strife with on the PC and prefer it by a mile to keyboard/mouse). Of course much of this for both of us may be what you are used to using...but I'd play Jag Doom, network crashing and all over PC Doom anyday.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

Sorry, but that is totally a matter of personal preference. I HATE using a keyboard and mouse to play (especiallY) corridor/FPS shooters.

I think you're in the minority with that opinion... In fact, most FPS games for the Dreamcast actually have full support for the keyboard and mouse! (Although I haven't bought either yet) Personally, I love being able to use the mouse for looking/shooting/jumping, and the keyboard for actual movement. But I suppose whatever you're used to is what generally takes precedence. I remember when I came to Quake from my Doom days, and I couldn't shake the habit of using just the arrow keys, Ctrl and Alt... after I realized how much you need to actually look up and down, I decided to change.

It's too bad Jaguar Doom can't do split screen like the N64 does... I wonder if the Jaguar could actually handle that if programmed properly.... (However, I can appreciate the value of using seperate TV's... each player gets a larger view, and can't "cheat" to see the other players location... but it's a lot cheaper!)

--Zero