IGNORED

VCSVideo(TM) pioneering video

Andrew Davie

I've developed a new '2600 technology allowing full-screen video *AND* digitised sound - playing at the same time. Yes, speech and video playing on your VCS! To debut the technology I'd like to have a significant historical event/s as the subject of the VCSVideo on its first release. The soundtrack and video don't necessarily have to come from the same source - for example, one could choose Kennedy's "Man on the Moon" speech with video of a moonwalker (though that would be terribly grey).

So, here's your chance to have a say. The technology is already completed and working. I just want to debut with impressive content. What audio and what video should be used for this "historical" development in '2600 technology? One should assume roughly 10 seconds of playtime, and sticking with that number, only 10 will be released. If someone suggests the actual content chosen for the released carts, then they'll one of the 10.

I've developed a new '2600 technology allowing full-screen video *AND* digitised sound - playing at the same time.  Yes, speech and video playing on your VCS!  To debut the technology I'd like to have a significant historical event/s as the subject of the VCSVideo on its first release.  The soundtrack and video don't necessarily have to come from the same source - for example, one could choose Kennedy's "Man on the Moon" speech with video of a moonwalker (though that would be terribly grey).

So, here's your chance to have a say.  The technology is already completed and working.  I just want to debut with impressive content.  What audio and what video should be used for this "historical" development in '2600 technology?  One should assume roughly 10 seconds of playtime, and sticking with that number, only 10 will be released.  If someone suggests the actual content chosen for the released carts, then they'll one of the 10.

why don't you just release these things as roms?

:ponder:

for the audio clip, how about the huge cresendo in the Beatles "A Day in the Life"

as for the video why not a ten second history of video games. rapid fire clips of games from pong to halo, with a big finish of a still shot of a VCS from an old ad, with some sort of message about it all starting on this machine.

To quote Stan: "Andrew Davie you are blowing my freakin' mind!!!!!!!! " :-D

Here are some ideas:

Vid: Man's first step on the moon with flag (flag edited with Atari

logo)

Audio: Neil Armstrong, ""That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

Maybe you could get Paul to sequence REM's "Man On The Moon". Then you could program it to do the audio clip upon pushing the fire button.

(I like this idea, as it kind of eludes back to what you are doing with the VCS itself)

--

Vid: Space Shuttle lifting off (again with Atari logo edited into the side of shuttle)

Audio: "10, 9, 8... lift off"

(Again, this kind of represents that the technology is lifting the VCS to new levels)

--

... here's some others that personally I think would be neat - but might not work for everyone:

Vid: Alfred Hitchcock Presents clip with Hitchcock's silhouette moving into the profile logo.

Audio: There are a lot of clips available on the internet - I have a 5-second wavefile that I find particularly funny that has Hitchcock saying, "Good Evening fellow Necromaniacs, I'm glad so many of you could come."

--

Vid: Dragon's Lair attract mode clip.

Audio: Coinciding audio clip.

Yah, I'm a goober to keep pushing this one - but I would cream in my panties to see Dragon's Lair running on my VCS!

--

Last: Maybe someone will have a really cool idea for video, but there is no clip to back it up. There are plenty of artistic guys that surf these forums. If there is an idea you particularly like, you could put on a contest for 10 seconds of animation. The winner along with the idea designer could be two of the 10 to receive a cart. :-) The cartoon format seems to show pretty clearly on your video technology, anyways.

kthx.

I've developed a new '2600 technology allowing full-screen video *AND* digitised sound - playing at the same time.  Yes, speech and video playing on your VCS!  To debut the technology I'd like to have a significant historical event/s as the subject of the VCSVideo on its first release.  The soundtrack and video don't necessarily have to come from the same source - for example, one could choose Kennedy's "Man on the Moon" speech with video of a moonwalker (though that would be terribly grey).

So, here's your chance to have a say.  The technology is already completed and working.  I just want to debut with impressive content.  What audio and what video should be used for this "historical" development in '2600 technology?  One should assume roughly 10 seconds of playtime, and sticking with that number, only 10 will be released.  If someone suggests the actual content chosen for the released carts, then they'll one of the 10.

As you and mojofltr have suggested, I think the Man on the Moon/Apollo 11 mission is a great idea for this "historic" project. :)

To back this up, We, at Musevox Multimedia, do a lot of transferring of film and video to DVD. Lately, we have had many orders for 8mm home movies and such that people have filmed back then, to be put to DVD.

We recently acquired a standard 8mm 5 inch( 200ft. of film )reel of NASA footage. We own this reel. The film is in great condition physically, but I'd still have to view the footage to know exactly what is on it. See attachment below of box label.

Assuming this is public domain footage( The box appears to have come out in the 70's ), we could use 10 seconds from this reel( Black and White, no sound ). My father has devised a technique to eliminate the strobe effect from film projectors when transferring this type of medium to DVD.

My father is planning to transfer this reel to DVD anyway, after he finishes another 8mm order, tomorrow( Monday ). I could hopefully have greater details to share then.

What'd you think of this?

Audio clips of Neil Armstrong's speech could be easily acquired. I recently worked on a "NASA" themed project in my Multimedia class in college. This audio resource could be easily copied to my computer.

Is this the type of thing you had in mind?

Looking forward to more about this. This sounds very exciting!

Weston 8)

post-2955-1071465039_thumb.png

I would like to see maybe part of an interview from Once Upon Atari, Just one good line from a programmer talking about the early programming days on the VCS. That would look good going thru the hardware that they were talking about was soooo hard to program ;)

Use part of the quote from Rob Fulop that is used as the closing credits to Once upon Atari. one of the more interesting and intriguing thoughts i've seen on what videogames have done

gavv

To quote Stan:  "Andrew Davie you are blowing my freakin' mind!!!!!!!! "  :-D

Here are some ideas:

Vid:  Man's first step on the moon with flag (flag edited with Atari  

logo)

Audio: Neil Armstrong, ""That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"  

In a bizarre sense of irony, you could use clips of 'Video Killed the Radio Star', or the infamous landing on the moon/MTV promo clip.

gavv

In a bizarre sense of irony, you could use clips of 'Video Killed the Radio Star', or the infamous landing on the moon/MTV promo clip.

gavv

I think the beginning of the MTV clip would be great! :)

I just checked significant events of 1977 and the Concorde first flew that year; how about a clip of the Concorde with music from the Clash (first album released in 1977... although Abba was the biggest sellers of the year)....

Plus, it kinda commemorates the Concorde's commercial lifespan, since it stopped flying this year...

Why not have something filmed specifically for it? Creating video is certainly easy enough.

I think something appropriate would be to have Nolan Bushnell or one of the original Atari 2600 programmers/creators say a few words about Atari and the unbelievable longevity of the 2600, such as something about how fans and a new generation of programmers have managed to keep it alive far longer than anyone ever thought possible. 10 seconds is actually quite a lot of time to say something.

Appropriating video from some other source, such as Once Upon Atari or Stella at 20 may work, but something specific to the project would make it more unique, and I think, desirable.