IGNORED

Suncom Joy-Sensor

Atari Smeghead

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone here owns or has used this unique product from Suncom? It's touted as a Joystick Simulator.

(Sorry, but I don't really know how to add a pic... It appears I need to have a website or page of my own to grab it from, I guess...)

This auction may (or may not) still have the pic...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3065767723

I sort-of collect joysticks, and I had never seen such a thing until I saw a couple of eBay auctions.

I like most everything Suncom put out, so I have to suspect it's a decent controller. It just looks a bit awkward.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Randy

I've got a couple somewhere in storage. I never cared for them. They're just a little too awkward to use for any length of time. Kind of like Intellivision controllers, without the movable disk. It probably sounded like a good idea to the Suncom managers, to make a membrane joystick. That's why Suncom is gone now.

That little rectangular sliding switch on the front is to change it from a 4-position to an 8-position directional controller. Plus, it has a built-in autofire function. Too bad it just wasn't all that useful.

The auction that you refered to was my auction. The controller is unique, and while some people might like it, I guess I am just too used to the standard Atari joystick to use the joystick simulator. It just didn't feel right to me using it on my Atari 2600. I sold it to another member of AtariAge. I hope that he likes it.

Just like playing Intellivision on your Atari!  :P I've never seen those before but Suncom made all sorts of odd controllers & acessories. How bout these:

If they were a little more available, might make for some cool multiplayer homebrew games!

I JUST seen those things go by on ebay for 19.99. Are those the ones I seen on ebay? Do you know of any games that use them? (that is why I didn't go for them, seemed worthless without any application)

I got them off ebay about 6 months back maybe. AFAIK they are only used with the Suncom Party Quiz game. They came with a couple of flippy 5.25's has Atari 8bit on one side & C64 on the other. I've never bother to try them out LOL They just came with a lot of other stuff 800XL & games & stuff. They are kind of neat thou, they use a phone line type connectors, into a base, then the base itself has the db-9 standard joystick plugs that go into both controller ports.

Thanks for the replies, fellas! The Joy-Sensor (I can usually sense joy without the aid of a device, but still... :roll: ) looks like it's not terribly useful as a controller, but knowing me, I'll probably end up with one some day. I appreciate the feedback!

As for the Party Quiz Controllers and the game disk, I own a set of those too (any wonder?) and tho I haven't used them very much, I have had a few multi-player trivia games with some buddies, and it's fun! They work well enough. Reminds me a bit of the NTN trivia games we have here in some of our bars in Michigan.

All I need to do is find a way to dump the program from disk to a AtariMax Flash cart, and I'll be all set.

I need to really research the program. I wonder if new questions can be created... That'd make the whole thing perfect!

Thanks again!