IGNORED

Space Harrier 130XE... coming in Cartridge

andy_bernstein

Good evening Gang,

I just went to the website of Sheddy and it seems that Space Harrier 130XE is now a cartridge project !!! Kind of cool :-)

From his website, advantages brought by the cartridge format:

* More colours on the aliens and backgrounds

* Faster draw routines to keep the speed up

* Larger backgrounds

* More speech samples

More at -> http://www.sheddyshack.co.uk/index.htm

Once this project is completed, it would be nice to see if the 3D engine (if Sheddy is ok with it) could be recycled in an easy way for other 3D Sega Adaptations like Galaxy Force.

AB.

I'd love to see if the animation engine developed by Sheddy could be recycled for other Sega (pseudo) 3D games like Galaxy Force, Afterburner or Out Run.

We're gonna need a new programming book !

AB.

Ha, ha! Afterburner amd Galaxy Force throw a lot more sprites around than Space Harrier (especially Galaxy Force), and they tilt.... There might be some hope for an Out Run like game, although I imagine the road would have to have a more complex approach (IE slower) than the one taken with the Space Harrier floor. Seeing how long this game is taking me, I don't volunteer to do it myself either!

Would the advantage too be that you wouldn't need a 130XE to play it?

Beyond the bank switching, I'll also need to take a look at how Sheddy can get more out of the XE just by using a Cart instead of a Disk.

Sounds very interesting.

AB.

No great puzzle really :) Access to 64K plus 1024K (cart) quickly vs 64K(or 128K on 130XE) quickly plus 130K (disk) very slowly.

I'd love to see if the animation engine developed by Sheddy could be recycled for other Sega (pseudo) 3D games like Galaxy Force, Afterburner or Out Run.

AB.

Ha, ha! Afterburner amd Galaxy Force throw a lot more sprites around than Space Harrier (especially Galaxy Force), and they tilt.... There might be some hope for an Out Run like game, although I imagine the road would have to have a more complex approach (IE slower) than the one taken with the Space Harrier floor. Seeing how long this game is taking me, I don't volunteer to do it myself either!

C'mon Chris, how big of a cartridge will it take? (grabs soldering iron). :)

-Bry

I'm also looking forward to seeing this released, especially since it'll be in cartridge form now.  :)  The improvements listed on the Work In Progress page look encouraging, and I look forward to continued updates.  How far along do you think you are from completing and releasing it?  

..Al

Thanks Al (and everyone else) :)

I sorry, but I haven't got a clear estimate on completion/release. It certainly won't be before next Summer. Just depends how much time I can put in.

AB.

C'mon Chris, how big of a cartridge will it take? (grabs soldering iron). :)

-Bry

Get out the big iron, Bry! - the full 1MB/8Mbit. Could make good use of an even bigger cart, but as far as I know that hasn't been done yet.

I've got a bit decadent on memory usage with the new sprite drawing routines. To keep the speed up, the largest frames of objects are using a method that takes around 4 or 5 times the amount of memory of a "normal" routine.

With a larger cart I could make more use of that method.

Well,

it is great to see SH being released on cartridge. But I do hope that the disk version will be available as well... Maybe a good project for the ABBUC software contest 2004 (or 2005)... see: www.abbuc.de (german, english and other languages). If you take part in this contest you can win a big price and still do not lose the copyright... but only disk-versions will count, since abbuc wants to release the contest programs on their magazine... anyway, can`t wait to get that cartridge... greets, Andreas magenheimer.

Well,  

it is great to see SH being released on cartridge. But I do hope that the disk version will be available as well... Maybe a good project for the ABBUC software contest 2004 (or 2005)... see: www.abbuc.de (german, english and other languages). If you take part in this contest you can win a big price and still do not lose the copyright... but only disk-versions will count, since abbuc wants to release the contest programs on their magazine...

C'mon Andreas !

Tell them to switch the contest to cartridge !

While a cart is so expensive to produce that it wouldn't be a solution if distributed through ABBUC's magazine, at least it would augment the limits of the contest and make possible some incredible realizations like Space Harrier XE.

AB.

Well,  

it is great to see SH being released on cartridge. But I do hope that the disk version will be available as well... Maybe a good project for the ABBUC software contest 2004 (or 2005)... see: www.abbuc.de (german, english and other languages). If you take part in this contest you can win a big price and still do not lose the copyright... but only disk-versions will count, since abbuc wants to release the contest programs on their magazine...

C'mon Andreas !

Tell them to switch the contest to cartridge !

While a cart is so expensive to produce that it wouldn't be a solution if distributed through ABBUC's magazine, at least it would augment the limits of the contest and make possible some incredible realizations like Space Harrier XE.

AB.

Ha Ha!

Please don't get your hopes up too high about the quality of the game though. Of course I want to create something that's playable, but we're not talking about any vast improvements over the existing disk demo here.

My intention is to have the cart image freely available for emulator users. Details of a real physical cartridge are still undecided.

Sheddy,

I get it (and we all do I presume) but, considering that it's a 'one man situation', what you've done so far is very impressive and already superior to some commercial releases of the late eighties like the "PAL Development" releases (Not to be confounded with the TV standard, I'm thinking of Russell Knight who did Rampage, etc...) .

WAY TO GO !!!

If the GTIA / Antic upgrade is a success, I may give a shot at Galaxy Force but not without the upgrade and probably not without stereo pokey. Damn, I knew I needed a hobby !

Ladies and Gentlemen, have a good day, I'll go back to De Re Atari for now.

AB.