IGNORED

Ms. Pac-man Rant

hepcat

Jason:

Very cool - you and I sound like we are at about the same level of play on the regular version (although you might be a little better than me; I think my high is about 220K)  :thumbsup: It is hard to get all four when the energizer lasts 1 sec, just on those boards I usually don't bother to try for all four

Anyway, it would problably be cool to have a .inp file anyway; It would be cool to see if our techniques are similar :)

In my MAME cab, I use DOS MAME .56 - will that be a problem for the .INP file?

OK, I just checked, and the mspacman rom hasn't changed since mame37. So I guess it will be OK as long as I can get dos mame to work. Big if, given my limited computer skills. :ponder: But I look forward to seeing you play, Bob. I'll record my games too for the next week or so and see if I can get a really good one going!

--Jason :)

They ARE different games though. Try playing sped-up MsPac and see how much you can score. If you can score 200k you're good. But the REAL challenge is scoring 300k. You get to the point of course when the ghosts don't turn blue, and you have random fruits (unlike Pacman where you always get the 5000pt key). So with no consistent 5000 bonus, and no points on ghosts, scoring that extra 100k is actually a lot more difficult than you imagine... it becomes a trial of endurance. Try it out! :D

Of course in the unsped up version of MsPac, I'd consider 150k to be a good score for me :ponder: And of course in Pacman, you can score whatever you want with patterns... if you decide to use them.

I've actually been thinking about this quite a bit, and perhaps some of you can help me answer some questions...

What *are* all of the differences between Ms. Pac-Man slow and fast? I'm researching the differences now (this discussion got me started on an interesting idea :) ) and I'm trying to figure out if there are many (any?) differences other than the speed.

Hey HepCat! :)

Here is my .INP from tonight: 227K My new high score on standard speed! You will see quite a few screw ups as far as trying to get the monsters grouped together but all in all I'm happy with this one.

My problem is once you get the board that's the equivalent of the ninth key in Pac-Man, I don't last too long. All monsters are faster than you without eating dots, so I have to figure out a better strategy than the one I currently use :-P

Now, you will need DOS MAME .56 for this, not sure if the Windows version of .56 will work, but I do know that the newest version (.78) will not. Let me know if you need it, because it's 2.5Mb zipped, and I didn't want to waste the Al's bandwidth.

mpm.zip

I usually see just (Ms.) Pac Man move faster - BUT here is what Mowerman says about it:

Speed ups will make the speed of Pac-Man faster than the ghost or will make the speed of all on screen characters proportionately faster..  These 2 different categories reflect the method used to create the enhancment.  Software (ROM) speedups make Pac-Man much faster than the ghost.  Hardware ( board modifications, extra wires etc) make all on screen characters move equally fast.

He has a really good site on the Pac Man series games at http://users.erols.com/mowerman/pacfile.htm - go about half way down and there is a description of the different speed-ups.

Wow Bob, very impressive performance! I've only done better than that once in 22 years, at least in terms of score.

I have a few other comments:

Great job on level 14. I think you got every monster except one, and I spotted a couple of unbelievable escapes.

You obviously understand the "tie goes to player" rule and utilize it very effectively. Most players don't even know about this.

I group the monsters a little differently on levels 3-5. You'll see what I mean when I have a recording worthy of posting, which I did not succeed in creating last night. :ponder:

--Jason

Jason:

Thanks! That game actually is my high score now - it's good to have it saved :)

With the 'tie' thing, I've just learned how to make the most of the energizer time. You must do that as well, no? I've learned most of the monster's AI (as I'm sure you have too) over the years and use it againt them :twisted: That's why you'll see me sometimes go right up to Pinky and make him turn away.

I'm very curious on how you group them together in the 3 to 5 levels... I look forward to seeing your .INP file :)

I put that entry into MARP - 2nd place! I've also noticed that the 1st place holder for Pac-Man Plus has a score of 180,000 - I think I'll try for that next; my high is 160,000...

Hey - Are you going to the Philly Classic this year? I was thinking of going - it would be cool to meet some of the people from here.

man.. I must've been using mame32 too long as I'm out of it and can't get it going. :?

I got DosMame56 (executable name DMAME.EXE). I put MPM.INP into the /inp directory, and the mspacrom in the roms directory (It plays fine by the way).. But, when I try to do -playback, I can't get anything going. I've tried:

DMAME -PLAYBACK MPM.INP

(this results in a message that says "fuzzy name" and tries to run another game which of course fails)

DMAME MSPACMAN -PLAYBACK MPM.INP

plays Mspacman, no input.

DMAME -PLAYBACK MPM.INP MSPACMAN

plays mspacman, no input.

..then I tried #1 again, but I renamed mpm.inp to "mspacman.inp" and did:

DMAME -PLAYBACK MSPACMAN.INP

Plays mspac fine.. but still no dice :(

now I tried:

DMAME MSPACMAN.INP -PLAYBACK

Still the same. What am I doing wrong? Granted I spent only 5 minutes so far, but this should be easy! :P

Hey Jason:

270K?!?!?!? Wow - I have to watch this one tonight... I'll try it as well, hopefully I'll be able to come close... ;) It's funny, once you get to the point where the monsters don't turn blue any more, I'm *sure* a pattern is possible... (the whole point of Pac Man Plus was to eliminate the use of patters...) :ponder:

I really haven't played Jr. Pac-Man too much, but now that I have a new take on playing it (I find if I treat it as two boards side by side instead of one large board, I play better)

We *have* to get a one-on-one match going at some point... 8)

Hey Jason:

270K?!?!?!?  Wow - I have to watch this one tonight...  I'll try it as well, hopefully I'll be able to come close...  ;)   It's funny, once you get to the point where the monsters don't turn blue any more, I'm *sure* a pattern is possible...  (the whole point of Pac Man Plus was to eliminate the use of patters...)   :ponder:

Pac Man Plus is completely patternable when they don't turn blue, and paternable on all other boards until you eat an energizer. The only random element is the energizer effect of sometimes one of the ghosts not turning blue or the maze going invisible.

Ms Pac Man however is a different story, due to the fact the monsters don't always come out of the box the same, pure patterns are not possible even on the no blue boards, but there are grouping techniques that use partial patterns, they are pretty tough to master though.

DAS

Hey Jason:

270K?!?!?!?  Wow - I have to watch this one tonight...  I'll try it as well, hopefully I'll be able to come close...  ;)   It's funny, once you get to the point where the monsters don't turn blue any more, I'm *sure* a pattern is possible...  (the whole point of Pac Man Plus was to eliminate the use of patters...)   :ponder:  

I really haven't played Jr. Pac-Man too much, but now that I have a new take on playing it (I find if I treat it as two boards side by side instead of one large board, I play better)

We *have* to get a one-on-one match going at some point...   8)

I'd be curious to hear who's really good at Junior. I've owned the arcade machine for a number of years and my best is only 87,000 or so. I've never cleared the seventh board. It's all about grouping the monsters and by the last board (whose maze is pure evil) I just can't make 'em behave.

Here is my .INP from tonight: 227K  My new high score on standard speed!  You will see quite a few screw ups as far as trying to get the monsters grouped together but all in all I'm happy with this one.

Man that's an awesome watching that. It shows you really know your stuff! I dig all the quick turnarounds you do and your movements to "direct" the ghosts the way you want them. Also, it's really cool to see wait on eating power pellets for extended periods until you get them together for some chomping (which is totally not how I play, if they aint all together.. oh well :P).

I learned a lot from it! I love seeing how others play :D

@NE146: Thanks! :) Although the 'waiting' to group them together makes for a long game :roll: I'm working on PacMan Plus right now to beat a certain high score :D

@HanglyMan: Yes, I have found out that a pattern is possible until you eat a fruit. I actually use one now, and it even works until the second fruit is eaten (as long as the 'fruit' blue time is longer than the 1st apple energizer equivalent)!

@HepCat, NE146, Anyone else who's interested: :)

Ok Here's my new high score in PacManPlus: 268,000! Things to look for:

1) On the 2nd level, I get sandwiched between two monsters and live through it! If you notice right after I get out of it, I stop, because I couldn't believe what just happened.

2) On the third board, I eat the fruit at the exact same time I run into a monster (didn't get any points for it - went right through him) :(

ok - I'm resting for a while... :sleep:

pacplus.zip

• 2 months later...
Was there ever a speed up chip for Pac-Man?

I don't know if the original ever had the speed up, but if you enter the code to play Pac-man on the 20th anniversary version, and Ms. Pac-man is fast, Pac-man will also be fast. Kind of defeats the purpose of hiding the original, don't you think?

--Jason  :roll:

What is the code for Pac Man on the 20th Anniversary version?

Other than on the various consoles I don't think I've ever played Ms. Pac-Man without the speed up chip.  It seems that every machine I've seen has one and now I'm used to it.  

Was there ever a speed up chip for Pac-Man?

Tempest

Virtually all games use frame counters to determine if sprites should be moving (this is true for home console games as well). The speed up conversion is nothing more than 1 byte in the program being ignored...so that the character moves on every frame. There are chips that exist that have the monsters' frame counters disabled as well. This "ignoring" can be done by burning an eprom with the memory location(s) zeroed...or by using a transister to skip over them.