IGNORED

I haven't collected for these yet

VidGameKing

well I won a buch of Atari computer stuff. But it's not at all what I would call a collection. I have a 800XL thats almost perfect. aside from one key that wont work :( . But I'll fix it someday. any who. what sort of cool things can one do with Atari computers? beyond just their 8-bit models. and for that matter Vic20, C64/128 ect... I wanna know whats so cool about these older computers that still sparcs the intrest of you select few! And maybe I too would like to join your ranks and have some fun with these wonderfull machines.

The uses of 8-bit machines are almost limitless; you can do much of what you're doing now on a fully-loaded WinTel machine on an A8, C64, or probably even a TRS80. Seriously. As a bonus, these machines take about 2 seconds to boot and (almost never) crash.

Everything will, of course, be in a much cruder form than the apps to which you're accustomed. ;)

well I won a buch of Atari computer stuff. But it's not at all what I would call a collection. I have a 800XL thats almost perfect. aside from one key that wont work :( . But I'll fix it someday.

There's been some keyboard repair discussion in here lately:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40634

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40133

Also, if you have the soldering skills, perform a Super Video upgrade. The stock circuits in many XL's are dim and blurry. You don't actually have to do the entire upgrade to get huge improvements. I can post the "quick" version I do to most machines.

any who. what sort of cool things can one do with Atari computers?

Get an SIO2PC cable, and you can use a PC as a virtual disk drive. This keeps you from needing to get a bunch of stuff on 5.25" floppies. Just download and go! This site has a lot of stuff:

http://www.atari8bit-software.de/

beyond just their 8-bit models.

What? ST stuff? You don't need no stinking ST stuff. :)

and for that matter Vic20, C64/128 ect... I wanna know whats so cool about these older computers that still sparcs the intrest of you select few! And maybe I too would like to join your ranks and have some fun with these wonderfull machines.

Oh, it's hard to describe... but in the days of billions of CPU cycles and enormous API's, it's nice to mess with a system you can completely understand and try to squeeze every last bit of potential out of it.

-Bry

Also, if you have the soldering skills, perform a Super Video upgrade. The stock circuits in many XL's are dim and blurry. You don't actually have to do the entire upgrade to get huge improvements. I can post the "quick" version I do to most machines.

Please do post this. I'm needing to do the modification to my 800XL, and would be most interested in seeing this.

I disagree. Having an ST around is also nice. Both the 8bits and the ST systems had their advantages and disadvantages, although if you're wanting to see the true successor to the A8, the Amiga would be the one to get.

Also' date=' if you have the soldering skills' date=' perform a Super Video upgrade. The stock circuits in many XL's are dim and blurry. You don't actually have to do the entire upgrade to get huge improvements. I can post the "quick" version I do to most machines.[/quote'']

Please do post this. I'm needing to do the modification to my 800XL, and would be most interested in seeing this.

I'll get to work on it.

I disagree. Having an ST around is also nice. Both the 8bits and the ST systems had their advantages and disadvantages' date=' although if you're wanting to see the true successor to the A8, the Amiga would be the one to get.[/quote']

I'm not a big fan of the Tramiels. I was a huge Atari supporter and bought a 1040ST, MegaSTE, and Falcon030 (all new), then a friend and I became Jaguar Developers and got a devkit from Atari, but after many promises and a lot of programming, got jerked around and never saw a contract. Since then I've met a lot of people and heard their stories of dealing with the Tramiels (believe me... no matter how much you loved Atari Corp., they never had much love for you), and I decided to leave the ST behind and concentrate my retro efforts on the original (and in many ways, technically superior) Atari computer.

There was some cool stuff on the ST, however. :)

-Bry

By the way.. Reading my last post, it sounds a little bit bitter.

"We hates nasty Tramielses, my precious!" :)

My point is that my interest in the ST was based mostly on respect for the Atari name. Once I talked to some who worked for and with Atari during those years and heard of the attitudes and dealings of those in control, that interest was greatly reduced.

I don't know that Warner Communications was much better for Atari, but at least they spent too much money rather than not paying anyone at all (a common Tramiel trick was to not pay until legal action was imminent).

However, the ST was a good computer for the $$ and I still have one, though it's not currently hooked up.

The A8 is still the shiznipple. :D

-Bry

I don't think anyone here is a big fan of the Tramiels, myself included. However, quite a few cool and innovative products did come out under the Atari label during their watch. Their business practices in no way takes away from the coolness of Atari's hardware. I just don't like to pick and choose which "Atari era" to reminisce about, as I was one of the few who stuck with the company's products from the beginning until the bitter end. Not saying anything is wrong with your viewpoint though, and I know there's plenty of people who see things the same way.

...I was one of the few who stuck with the company's products from the beginning until the bitter end.

Me too. 800-800XL-1040ST-MegaSTE-Falcon030-Lynx-Jaguar, plus the other odds and ends I picked up after the fact. :)

I guess deciding to do development also helped focus my attention on a single platform (though why does 2600 programming look so appealing? Just because it's so hard?) :)

-Bry

I guess better to have a focus on one particular system and release a game rather than dabble in everything and not get anything done. :D I've been working on stuff for the A8 myself, but keep getting distracted by all of my other Atari systems. :ponder:

okay I found why one of the keys dont work on my 800XL. you know those little sprigs underneith the keys, the ones that acctuate the contact. well, on that key, I'm missing one. but all in all the membrane looks okay. I'm thinking of getting a new one anyways. or maybe, someone has a 800XL with the PCB that they dont want anymore? i'll buy it for parts if it doesn't work! anywho where can I get another spring?

okay I found why one of the keys dont work on my 800XL. you know those little sprigs underneith the keys, the ones that acctuate the contact. well, on that key, I'm missing one. but all in all the membrane looks okay. I'm thinking of getting a new one anyways. or maybe, someone has a 800XL with the PCB that they dont want anymore? i'll buy it for parts if it doesn't work! anywho where can I get another spring?

Go and PM bryede. I think he said he had some spare XL keyboards.