IGNORED

2600 Jr problem

RonsWS6

Hi all! Newbie here with my first question.

Ok, I trying to fix a 2600 Jr for a friend. The image displays on the screen (but no sound?) but I couldn't actually start the game. If I remember correctly, you have to hit the reset or select button to start a game. When I did, nothing happend.

So, I pulled the cover and looked at the connection piece under the buttons. I'm refering to the clear plastic strip with the black metal strips which make a connection when you press down on the reset/select buttons. The black strips seem worn down where the plastic was bent to make the connection to the circuit board. Probably rubbing against the plastic housing when pushing the button? Was this a common problem and does that make sense as to the problem I have? If so, is there a replacement part available? Or how about an easy fix (I figure a solder connection would be too hot and melt the plastic, but what do you guys think)?

Thanks for your help! :D And this brought back many childhood memories; I think I'm gonna have to pick one up for myself!

I was taking a closer look at the piece (has "C022032" on it), and there's enough metal to complete the path of the circuit. Could the pads be in continuous contact? Here's a specific example:

I put Space Invaders in, turn on the power. The red LED light comes on, and the graphics start. With the joystick I can move the tank to the left or right, but the red button doesn't fire at the aliens nor do their bombs do any damage (like a screensaver). So, I push the reset button and nothing happens at all. Same with the Select button (though I dunno if anything should happen). What do you guru's think?

When I opened the system, this piece (the plastic "ribbon") slid easily out of the black housing that it connects to. I assume that's what's supposed to happen so you don't rib the ribbon when the system is opened up.

Actually the plastic ribbon shouldn't come out if you didn't take the buttons off the front. On the back of the top shell there will be little clips that you can push in on the top and bottoms of the buttons that will make the buttons come off.

I suggest that if you haven't got the buttons off yet and the ribbon slides out it probly isn't on the little pin that locates the ribbon under the button.

Also make sure that you have the other end of the ribbon cable in the circuit board tight and the right way (not backwards)

post-3803-1074620379_thumb.jpg

Thanks, but I took the buttons off and slid the plastic strip over the little black pin that holds it in place in order to remove it. I think it only fits one way (the plastic is cropped in one corner), but regardless it wasn't working before I opened up the unit. Does this piece commonly go bad? Or is there something else (ie. on the circuit board) that commonly goes bad? A visual inspection, and the board looks like it just came off the factory floor (no burn marks or discolorations or anything obvious). Any other suggestions?

Ron

The only other suggestion is to get a junk system and get that part out of it. It seems like there must be something wrong with the ribbon contacts, either by the buttons, or by the circuit board.

also make sure there is a space inbetween the two plastic pieces making the contact on the two switches. They might be both down and canceling eachother out. You probly already checked this though.

Yeah, but they were so close it's hard to tell so I'm gonna pull apart the ribbon and re-glue it to make sure there's a space between the contact points. Thanks for your help!

Edit: for those interested, it was this issue and was fixed by re-seating the contact points controlling the reset and select functions! Man, it's been a long time since I last played Atari!

• 10 years later...

I know this is an Old Post, but this may assist others with this same issue.

The Atari 2600 Junior "Reset Button Membrane" or "Maylar Switch" is Still available from Best Electronics CA. USA if you wish yo obtain one: Best Part Number CB101198 and US$3.00

Go to: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com

Darren in OZ (amigaman07)

Edited by amigaman07
  • Like 1