IGNORED

LOL! Atari Jaguars used in the dental field?

Adrian M

Well..I went to the site, and even looked over the PDF on this. There is no mistake. That is a Jaguar. However, looking over the specs is curious, because it mentions a Sony CCD in there. So it appears they are adding in some stuff into the Jaguar, and then using it to basically produce video. What is very curious and most obvious is that some of the jaguar hardware still has to be in use, otherwise they wouldn't use, or need the memory cartridge. They also state it has push button controls on the cartridge? Anyway, if this isn't a mockup and is the real deal, this could make the Jaguar a tad more rare in the wild to find since at least one company would be willing to pay some outrageous prices to aquire them to convert them. Wonder how much Imagin systems sells these bad boys for? Would be curious to get one and take a gander inside.

Well..I went to the site, and even looked over the PDF on this. There is no mistake. That is a Jaguar. However, looking over the specs is curious, because it mentions a Sony CCD in there. So it appears they are adding in some stuff into the Jaguar, and then using it to basically produce video. What is very curious and most obvious is that some of the jaguar hardware still has to be in use, otherwise they wouldn't use, or need the memory cartridge. They also state it has push button controls on the cartridge? Anyway, if this isn't a mockup and is the real deal, this could make the Jaguar a tad more rare in the wild to find since at least one company would be willing to pay some outrageous prices to aquire them to convert them. Wonder how much Imagin systems sells these bad boys for? Would be curious to get one and take a gander inside.

I also checked the site more and downloaded the PDF spec sheet. It's apparent that they're adding components to the Jags...I'm not sure what the Sony CCD chip does, but I suspect it drives the camera to be used while the Jaguar hardware outputs the video.

I found the "memory cartridge" kind of cool...a Jag cart converted to allow pushbutton functionality! Neat!

Personally, I think they look kind of cool, the white color scheme and all! I'm sure these retail around the $1,000 range and are probably only available to registered dental professionals.

I'm due for my bi-annual cleaning next month, perhaps I'll scope out my dentist's office and even inquire about the Hot Rod! :)

I think this is a hoax. If you look closely at the image it looks (to me anyway) to be doctored, the logo on it doesn't look right, nor does the docking station.

If it is a real piece of equipment I think it's probably quite badly designed.

buttons on the cart port! try it yourself get your jag powered up with a cart and then push it from the front.. watch that jag crash!

If it is a real piece of kit I would guess it's just the Jag case.. perhaps a manufacturer that needed a stylish mould bough the old jag case moulds and is using them themselves, I doubt that it's a real jag in there.. the camera looks to plug into the RF hole! I think retrofitting an old piece of kit for such purposes is fraught with danger for the company if they have faults or breakdowns, due to the limited supply.

Oh and a CCD is the device which produces an image when light hits it.. they are the electronic film that didgital cameras use. (it's actually a chip with a window in I believe).

Methinks this isn't a hoax, but a co-incidence. Did you note how they have another product that looks similar, but distinctly different?

There too, who's to say they didn't make their own 'shells' based on the Jag's design? Who would sue them for doing that?

Okay...even if there aren't any actual Jag components left in the case. That is a Jag case being used. They have the holder for the camera on the rails of the Jag case. And what about the memory cart? If they were going to not use the Jag internals...then why use a Jag style cart for the memory? And your right...having that thing be pushbutton wouldnt' work because pressing down on the cart would crash it most likely. However, that cart may only be accessed at certain times to configure it. So you might able to get away with something. I just find it odd that if they weren't using Jag stuff on the inside..then why have a Jag shaped memory cart or even use the cart slot for a memory cart? Why not make this thing run on MMC or something similar to what actual digital camera's use. Oh...to keep it propietary! I think this is either an elaborate hoax...or is the real deal, and they are simply modifying current Jags with custome chips and such and using some of the internals. They could keep the high price on the memory carts by making them propietary...and using nothing more than elaborate flash carts?

Too weird....next will will see the JR being used as a control panel for some high tech machinists equipment..or computer lathe...

And will spot the Shuttle overlays in the cockpit of the new Areospace plane upon completion!

:ponder:

Assuming for a second that this isn't a hoax, why on earth would you use a Jaguar for this? There has got to be better ways to do this than hanging a jaguar on it's side, and having the cartridge sitting in such a tenuous position... And why are they advertising this as "Hot Rod"? Is there really a market for "XtReMe!!@!" dental equipment?

What an odd choice for a hoax though...

--Zero

My guess is that it's not a hoax, and that it indeed is using Jag internals (there's no reason to use just the case). They simply built an interface to hook a specialized camera to the Jag, and they wrote some imaging software. Why not? It's fast & cheap (plus you can play Tempest at work). ST's were often used in embedded applications as well (there was a popular engine diagnostic system that had an ST mobo inside). From the pictures it looks like it may not be finished yet, though.

Of course, the other dentists with their Xbox based imaging systems might make fun of you.

-Bry

edit: What's even funnier is that they seem to be basing their other products on the look of the Jag. My guess is there's a Jag in there too.

post-3606-1074708560_thumb.jpg

Given the "Hot Rod" name, I half-expected to find some connection to a certain former Jaguar developer. That still may be the case, but a whois look-up of the domain name shows that it is probably a legit site. The name was registered in 1999 to two guys in San Carlos, Cal.

I would have guessed that it was a simply re-use of the case molds, but the memory card threw me for a loop. That is _very_ hard to believe... at best, the logic behind it seems odd. These days, why would anyone build a device dependent upon a proprietary storage format when SD, MMC, etc. would easily fill the need? Sure, it's another source of revenue, but I would think it would hurt initial sales and reduce service revenue.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. :?

-MS

Assuming for a second that this isn't a hoax, why on earth would you use a Jaguar for this?

Because then there would finally be a use for it.

My point was that if you want to make a CCD camera, even one with lots of options, there has to be an easier and cheaper hardware solution out there than buying up Jaguar's, repainting them, and hacking the insides up.

It does LOOK cool though... but I don't choose my dentist based on the appearance of their intraoral cameras...

If I had to take a guess, I would say that they probably just bought empty Jaguar shells, and filled them with their own electronics. How much are these things anyways? Someone needs to buy one so we can figure out what's going on.

--Zero

They could've gotten an awesome deal on a warehouse full of Jaguars.

From there, you can take the pack-in cart, pull the ROMs off it, and add your own camera software to the board. Main task: talking to the digital camera on the end of that cable.

Add a can of white spraypaint, and voila: a HotRod.

Well...

The probably stole the joystick ports. A little solder to reroute the data lines out the back. You don't need the holes in the case anymore, why NOT fill them with control buttons?

It looks like they used the joystick port holes on the front of the Jag as a place to install a carrying handle.

I would love to see if the bottom of the memory cart still has the word ATARI moulded into the plastic. Now, if someone could call the company, get a list of clients for their technology, and post the info here, maybe we can solve this mystery. Someone's got to go to the dentist. :twisted:

I really doubt they're using real Jag hardware. Is it hard to believe that the same pin card edge connectors can be used for other electronics? It could even be a different card edge. (For the cartridge)

If it's being used for dentristry then it's a remold because it's much more sanitary than using the grade of plastic suitable for home consoles and repainting them.

I think this is a hoax.  If you look closely at the image it looks (to me anyway) to be doctored, the logo on it doesn't look right, nor does the docking station.

If it is a real piece of equipment I think it's probably quite badly designed.

buttons on the cart port!  try it yourself get your jag powered up with a cart and then push it from the front.. watch that jag crash!

If it is a real piece of kit I would guess it's just the Jag case.. perhaps a manufacturer that needed a stylish mould bough the old jag case moulds and is using them themselves, I doubt that it's a real jag in there.. the camera looks to plug into the RF hole!  I think retrofitting an old piece of kit for such purposes is fraught with danger for the company if they have faults or breakdowns, due to the limited supply.

Oh and a CCD is the device which produces an image when light hits it.. they are the electronic film that didgital cameras use.  (it's actually a chip with a window in I believe).

that cartridge is probably permanently attached, if this is the real deal, so crashing would not be a problem.