IGNORED

Joystick Coupler?

FelixtheGamer

I was looking around the flea market this weekend and found a boxed Space Dungeon with the cart and also a joystick coupler. I was looking at the 5200 hardware guide and read it came with two games. One, Space Dungeon and the other Robotron 2084. I looked at the rarity guide and it list the games both at a 2. My question is, what's the rarity on the joystick coupler? Would it be a 2 also or slightly rarer since you tend to find more loose carts then ones with boxes. Also, how do we figure out the rarity of hardware? Is there a list for it? Thanks!

Your logic is impeccable. People opened the games, played them and lost the accessory. Or it broke. Or they decided that they just didn't need an Atari 5200 joystick coupler and tossed it away with the joysticks when they bought the more sensible Wico controller.

Thrift store owners are totally clueless as to what the plasic doohickey is. They toss it in the dumpster or bury it in the 6 ft deep box of busted childrens toys.

But almost everyone recognizes that a loose 5200 cartridge is a game and must have some value to somebody. The virtually indestructible 5200 game cartridges don't wind up in the landfill quite as readily as the plastic joystick coupler.

So yes, the coupler is more rare than the games it came bundled with. How much more so... I don't know. All I know is, I've never found one. Yet.

Ben