Photo

SECAM

3 replies to this topic

#1 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Your Imperious Leader

• 22,956 posts

Posted Thu May 3, 2001 7:29 AM

Can some European collector fill me in on the SECAM format? Were any 2600 carts actually produced in this format? If so do they work on NTSC TV's?

I ask because I have a International catalog that mentions all these games being in SECAM as well as PAL and NTSC (of course it also mentions RS Basketball is available and shows a picture too).

Tempest

#2 Eckhard Stolberg OFFLINE  

Eckhard Stolberg

Dragonstomper

• 949 posts

Posted Thu May 3, 2001 8:27 AM

SECAM is another format for encoding colour information into a TV signal. It's mainly used in France. The 2600 programmer's guide mentions that SECAM VCSs take PAL software, but only interpret the eight possible luminance values as different colours. They have the Colour/BW switch hardwired to BW, so that PAL games can identify a SECAM console and chose colours with appropriate luminance values. If any PAL VCS games actually make use of this I don't know.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

#3 Jobf OFFLINE  

Jobf

Moonsweeper

• 259 posts

Posted Thu May 3, 2001 9:38 AM

Hey

Tempest:

You'll find some nice info at this collectors site, including some cool pics of Activision SECAM carts:
http://www.geocities.../new/vgames.htm

There is also a lot of info concerning PAL label variations, which is an interesting read too.

Hope this info helps

Steve Rich

#4 khryssun OFFLINE  

khryssun

Dragonstomper

• 835 posts

Posted Fri May 11, 2001 2:39 PM

Never too late...

While searching some pics to scan (for the contest) in old videogames magazines, I found some infos about the video standards used for the VCS 2600 cartriges.

"Carts were produced in NTSC or PAL/SECAM.
Some carts were especially produced in SECAM : the PAL version wasn't work in Europe (Cross Force / China Syndrome).

Tip : The cart apt to work (in europe) are the ones that don't use the B&W/Color switch.

The US Carts are incompatibles with Europe systems : It is more a reason of lines (525-625) than a problem of coding colours."

I suppose that the opposite is also true

Hope this may help

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users