IGNORED

A question and a thank-you

Rick

I think this is what you mean:

The older Atari games had numbers in their names.. These were the earlier releases from Atari, the number corresponds with their product number. After a while Atari just stopped doing this, I'm not sure why.

There is like,

01 Combat

03 Star Ship

etc..

To expand on what Joel was saying, the first 9 releases from Atari (lauched at the same time the system was) have those numbers on the labels. Some also have colored boarders (Star Ship, Street Racer, Combat) but some don't. Later on they dropped the colored boarders and then dropped the numbers completely.

The numbers seem to go all over the place because they were originally going to do a series like the Intellivision did (the catalogs were set up like this too).

1-20? Action

21-30? Sports

35-45? Strategy

51-53 Gambling

61-62 Education

You can sort of see where the early games of similar genres were grouped together. Obviously the dropped this idea quickly (maybe by 79?) and filled in the gaps they had left with other games.

Does anyone else have more info on this?

Tempest

First of all I would like to thank everyone who responded to my post yesterday ( repairing an Atari heavy sixer). That was my first time posting on any board and you made me feel welcome. I have been collecting Atari computers and games for a few years and have quite a collection. I got my first Atari 800 xl in 1983 and I was hooked! Back in the early 80's I had a big 2600 collection but sold it when I got the computer, if I only knew then what I know now! About 6 months ago I started collecting Atari 2600 consoles and games and have built a collection and this page has been very usefull. My question is, does anybody know why some 2600 games have numbers (ex: Indy 500 11), I'm just courious. Again Thanks for making me feel welcome!