IGNORED

Differencies between tape- and disk-games

starraider

Or you had to use the XC12 for loading. This one didn't care about the second channel. You could hear it but for loading only the first channel was used.

That's why I later often put music on the second channel so I wasn't so bored in loading times. I then had an old GDR tape player (not cassette tape but 8mm magnet tape like film, the people from the former GDR and eastern Europe know: These things came from the Czech company "Tesla") which still had a very good quality (better than cassette). You could record the left and right channel separately. So I recorded my Atari games on the left channel and after that I recorded music on the right channel. Then I switched to stereo (both channels) and dubbed the whole thing onto a cassette tape. It (mostly) worked perfectly.

EDIT: Was the left channel for the Atari game correct? I don't know anymore if the data had to be on the left or right channel and I'm too lazy now to dig out an Atari cassette to test.

Or you had to use the XC12 for loading. This one didn't care about the second channel. You could hear it but for loading only the first channel was used.

That's why I later often put music on the second channel so I wasn't so bored in loading times. I then had an old GDR tape player (not cassette tape but 8mm magnet tape like film, the people from the former GDR and eastern Europe know: These things came from the Czech company "Tesla") which still had a very good quality (better than cassette). You could record the left and right channel separately. So I recorded my Atari games on the left channel and after that I recorded music on the right channel. Then I switched to stereo (both channels) and dubbed the whole thing onto a cassette tape. It (mostly) worked perfectly.

EDIT: Was the left channel for the Atari game correct? I don't know anymore if the data had to be on the left or right channel and I'm too lazy now to dig out an Atari cassette to test.

LOL

Well,

I owned both the disk and tape version of Karate International (or International Karate), well known as World Karate Championships in America. The versions I had were produced by System 3 and sold by various companies and vendors. the Cheats "ADZM", Break Key and such all worked in both versions. Alas, the tape version had only 3 scenarios per side (3 on side a, 3 on side b, thats six scenarios overall). Think the disk version had 7 scenarios/backgrounds... -Andreas.

P.S.: There are also cracked versions of the game, if it is a bootdisk, then it is most likely the disk version, wheras if it is a disk-file, then it is most likely one of the tape versions (side a or b)...

walter: That time, I couldn't do much useful when loading an Atari game. Fiddling around with LEGO? Too few time when a game loaded between 5 and 15 minutes. Read a book? Dito! There it was the better choice to listen to some music (although crappy when played through the POKEY) while the game loaded. And in the background, I could still hear the loading noise so I mostly could hear when something went wrong while loading to interrupt the progress and try again.

Also, when listening to music, the loading time appeared much shorter.

walter: That time, I couldn't do much useful when loading an Atari game. Fiddling around with LEGO? Too few time when a game loaded between 5 and 15 minutes. Read a book? Dito! There it was the better choice to listen to some music (although crappy when played through the POKEY) while the game loaded. And in the background, I could still hear the loading noise so I mostly could hear when something went wrong while loading to interrupt the progress and try again.

Also, when listening to music, the loading time appeared much shorter.

Sounds nasty....

hehe