IGNORED

Atlantis High Score

dollopx

After reading the piece on Atlantis II, I thought I would make a serious attempt at the high score before downloading Atlantis II. Well, here it is..

atlantis_-_high_score.gif

The colour problem is because early into the game, I switched video modes (in z26) and for some reason, z26 suddenly began to use a different palette. I tried to switch back, but nothing.

Anyway, here is my 1st serious attempt, rest assured, I'm sure I can do better...

Generally, they will accept photographs of the high score screen as proof. However, there are many games where they need the whole game taped (like racing games and Adventure/Haunted House "speed records")

Overall, they prefer videotapes, which if you have your console hooked up to any modern TV, all you need is to switch the order of your cables around.

Of course, you have to have a game worth taping while you're doing it.. I played a practice game of Yars' Revenge and got over 230K... but couldn't hit a single Swirl while taping.

I was just reading a reply email from TwinGalaxies. They told me that will accept screenshots from emulators (like my pic), but if the score is a world record (which it isn't) they'll need more verification. You have to understand that they need solid proof (like video) to back - up your claim. I'm gonna see if they will accept my score. Anyway, back to work...

I'm not sure. I just sit down, boot up z26 (atari not functioning due to control pad issue), and play until I either get bored (the other night at about 300,000 for example)or die.

I thought that this was a pretty crap score!! I am completley open to challengers (bring it on!!) cause I'd like to see how good some of you others are. Anyway...

I don't know about high scores from emulated 2600 games. Couldn't you tweak the game a bit with the emulator? I'm not saying that you did or anything but there's always a possiblity when you play things on an emualtor. That's why I always play my games on the 2600 and bypass emulators (except for those UR games I'll never get to play otherwise).

Tempest

I'm also surprised that they accept scores from emulators. The source code for most emulators is available freely on the net, and a knowledgable programmer could probably modify the code easily to make games less challenging. And some emulators already have functionality that can allow you to "cheat". For instance, you can often slow down the frame rate to make a hectic game easier to play. Or you can pause the game to take a break, something most (all?) games don't allow. Those two items alone should disqualify emulators.

Plus, screenshots taken from within emulators can *very easily* be modified to show just about any score, and there'd be no way to tell that the shot was faked. This can still be done with photographs of television or even video taken of gameplay, but that takes a bit more talent and time, and is easier to detect if not done well.

I'm sure their rationale is to open up the competition to those who might not own the various classic systems. While I see they list how the score was verified, there's nothing that says if an original system or emulation was used to achieve the score..

..Al

Their rationale is that the only reason someone would take the time to fake a screenshot would be to gain the #1 spot.. not #6 or #12.

Of course, if someone wanted to badly enough, they could probably solder a potentiometer to a real 2600's logic board to slow it down.

I understand how you guys feel, but I'm only a bad VB programmer, so screwing with an emulator written in assembly is a little out of league.

z26 runs at about 90% the speed of a 2600, while you can notice a slowdown, its not enough to either make the game agonizing to play nor easier.

And anyway, like wntermute said, you could just solder a (quoting)potentiometer to the 2600 board to slow it down.

Not very easily I should think. The graphics chip in the 2600 is clocked at 3.58MHz, this is divided by three and fed to the CPU. Without messing around with that, dunno. The main clock has to be 3.58MHz to generate a proper TV screen. Tell me if i'm wrong, just a guess