IGNORED

super cobra vs scramble?

Heaven/TQA

just to proove my memories... i haven't found a scramble version for atari just super cobra...i am playing at the moment on my GBA SP konami classics and scramble is one of the best scrollers around 1981... i thought there was a scramble version on atari but it could have been super cobra which i mixed up with... can anybody help me?

yup. thanks guys. then i spend my coins in the 80s for scramble and not super cobra (which i haven't seen in the arcades at that time...)

i played it on not the standard arcade cabins but on this "table" ones...

btw. the GBA version rocks... and on computers i played the super cobra by parker brothers (2600 & 800). i liked even the 2600 version which is not the best console for horizontal shoot'em ups...

btw. why is there no "chopper command" version for 800??? most 2600 games were ported by activision (pitfalls, endura aka t.g.a.c.c.r.r.,key stone caper, river raid, etc...)

Anirog's Skramble for the C64 and C16 was a close clone - the latter might be portable to the A8. i just had a quick look, the movement of the ship is a bit dodgy, but that could be passed over to players to improve things...

I think there's only Super Cobra (a.k.a. Scramble pt.2) in any home console/computer.

Doh! What am I talking about.. I just had a nice round of Vectrex Scramble not all that long ago. :roll: Sorry :P

Also of course there are Scramble handhelds by Tomy and Epoch.. but those don't really count. The Vectrex one definitely does though.

@ TMR

the anirog scramble is awfull... ;) even if it's from 1983... but not using the softscroll feature of the VIC...

Wrong version, there's two different versions of the same game on the C64 and the Rabbit software one has smooth scroll if memory serves. =-) Have a look at the Plus/4 version, that's what i was talking about since it uses no sprites at all and the CPU speed is about the same.

well... the plus4 version is far better than the amirog one but still not perfect like the GBA version of scramble...

udo gertz' olympic game series is quite impressive for this small machine...i know him from great vic -20 games back in the 80s... seems he has a nice universal sprite routine... and the games are quite colourful...

but most of the c16 games do not satisfy me...i have to admit... i can't believe that these machines are not capable of even reaching spectrum niveau or speed (could be vice but i am sure it's not vice which gives me that impression...) international karate etc aaaaarg... ;) thank atari for their lovely machines... ;)

but most of the c16 games do not satisfy me...i have to admit... i can't believe that these machines are not capable of even reaching spectrum niveau or speed

Reaxion A8 shares quite a bit of it's soft sprite code with Reaxion Plus/4 - the extra CPU grunt makes quite a bit possible - Mike "invented Lemmings" Dailly said on a message board that he got the Xeo3 soft sprite system going, that's over eight soft objects with a large scroll area at frame rate).

(could be vice but i am sure it's not vice which gives me that impression...)

VICE's Plus/4 emulation is still nowhere near up to scratch - get YAPE, it's a far better emulator and my demo Ikaruga works on it. =-)

• 2 weeks later...