IGNORED

When and where did this Sonic Label variation come out?

Jasoco

I found, to me, a quite interesting label variation Sonic the Hedgehog at Game Stop today.

I myself have never seen this version before.

The label is quite different. It is a cream color with line drawings of Robotnik, a rabbit and a bird (Flicky). Then some lines and squiggles and squares and circles and triangles. Sonic is on the right side doing his trademark finger pointing to the air with legs crossed position. And the title of the game is only on the end label. Not the front.

It says Genesis on it. At first I thought maybe a Mega Drive game, but it says Genesis and has the logo.

Pictures below.

What time frame was this one?

I like this label style. It looks more recent in Sonics style. But I can't be sure.

post-1010-1078707484_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Foodmonster:

The very first released Genesis 1 units in 89 came with Altered Beast as the pack in. Later in 90 Sega changed the pack in for the model 1 Genny to Sonic 1. It was a pack in until the model 2 Gennys were released around 92 I think? Anyway, from there almost all Genesis systems came with Sonic 2 as a pack in. But Yes, Sonic 1 was a pack in for several years. I actually see quite a lot of those pack in Sonic 1s that have the Not for Resale stickers on the cart. Finding a US released Sonic 1 that doesn't have that sticker and has the actual Binder stickers that came in the retail package is a lot harder. Only seen that complete retail version once ever and stupid me didn't pick it up as I should have.

• Like 1

Finding a US released Sonic 1 that doesn't have that sticker and has the actual Binder stickers that came in the retail package is a lot harder

No kidding. I had to do a mix and match at a Funcoland to get a good copy. They had about 20 "Not For Resale" versions and only one normal version.

Tempest

• Like 1

I have the Pack-in version and now that coolio creamy labelled one. Now I just need to find the NON-pack-in version. Too bad GS is not taking it in anymore. They have none AFAIK. I checked. And if I find one at EB, it'll probably cost me $15.

I have the Pack-in version and now that coolio creamy labelled one. Now I just need to find the NON-pack-in version. Too bad GS is not taking it in anymore. They have none AFAIK. I checked. And if I find one at EB, it'll probably cost me $15.

If your looking for a non-pack-in version, I have a few, someplace (I'd have to dig for them, if I even still have them). They are complete (the last I knew). But the box is different, it's the SEGA Classic version box. With the new style Genesis logo on the side of the box. If I can find them, you could have one of them.

If you want I can post a picture of my copy (they all look like it). :)

• 13 years later...

I have this complete. Got it years ago in West Virginia. I recall posting something about it but can't locate it now. It's definitely an NTSC copy, with no mention whatsoever of "Megadrive". Yet, the instruction manual and backside of the art insert are multi-lingual. Odd. The manual itself depicts a first model Genesis, and the only date anywhere in it is 1991. There's no mention of any "not for resale" or some such. It's definitely early, and definitely rare.

My hunch is that this is either a very early promotional sort of copy that was used to demonstrate the game to various global retailers (hence the need for different languages), or a very rare sort of international version that might only have seen a release at places like military base exchanges. I have never seen another boxed copy, and can't even recall seeing a loose cart in the wild anywhere else. It just happened to be on the shelf of a fly-by-night retro game store I happened by in Martinsburg, WV, and I paid a whopping $8 for it.

Anyway, some images:

post-33467-0-95452400-1505471265_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-19420200-1505471273_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-57978900-1505471284_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-33143900-1505471295_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-01791800-1505471308_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-03671000-1505471325_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-95789900-1505471344_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-13871800-1505471357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blazing Lazers

Sega BITD was more lenient with import than later.

In 1990, a few French people tasted the delight of the Megadrive. Test market? Gray import?

Nope.

A French supermarket channel struck a deal with Sega and sold Japanese Megadrive for Christmas, with Japanese box adorned with stickers, purple band Japanese Megadrive, a SCART lead added in the package (as the Japanese one doesn't have it) and a French manual.

You wouldn't see that today.

It's quite hard to find anything more than testimonies today, as, likely, most console owners got ride of the box, and the loose consoles are indistinguishable from Japanese consoles.