IGNORED

My 2001 Challenge

videotwit

Hey All!

OK. I was emailing back and forth with a good friend of mine the other day, and he proposed a challenge for me to complete by the end of the year. As a "gentleman's bet," he challenged me to try to reach a count of 600 different Atari 2600 titles by the end of this year (I have 549 currently - with 11 more on the way because of a great trade with jah fish).

So, does anyone want to put their 2 cents worth here? Do you think I can make it? I think my best bet will be to try to do as many trades (especially with non-USA based collectors) as possible. Does anyone have any other ideas? Ebay is not an option here, simply because I don't want to go that route.

~Scott

here's the insanity in person. the name: fish

i have about 900+ carts. i can't even count them anymore, it's too complicated ... i guess the first 150 titles are only the atari & sears titles.

i am not sure about the number of games (without counting similar or bootleg titles), it is supposed to be about 650 .. while all carts come up to way more than 1500. ask marko, i bet he is one of the three biggest collectors .....

and always when you think there's just this & that missing, there's something else appearing from nowhere .... example: i have nearly all atari & sears titles, waterworld & loaner carts, even all consoles boxed (thanx, scott!) and i really thought the quest is over .... now i just found out about some label variations from atari, on the carts they produced specially for new-zealand ....

hehe, it's really insane ... ;-)

greetings

fish

I have over 300 normale game cartridges. With differents labels and some NTSC and most PAL.

22 with more games one 1.

5 Prototypes

Crystal Castles Loaner

Donald Duck's Speadboat in Moon Patrol case

Kamikaze Saucers Hozer

Sea Quest Activision

Spider Kong Goliath

2 tapes for Supercharger

and 5 different consols.

6 switch woodgrain, 4 switch woodgrain, 4 switch black, Jr. long rainbow, Jr. black.

I search for the short rainbow and the heavy sixer, then I have all they aviable in PAL.

I hope one time to get over 500.

Best luck for you to get it over 600.

Matthias

Good luck on your quest for 600 games! Trust me, it's possible, especially if you're into non-USA games. While not being original games in 95% of cases, those weird names, labels, cases, producers, and boxes makes collecting "import" stuff very exciting.

It is my guess that there are around 3,000 "different" Atari 2600 games out there, NOT including label variations (only manufacturer and name variations).

My friend Roloff with whom I work on the 2600 PAL section of the Digital Press Guide has over 1,500 games in his database. I think this number will be doubled in 5-10 years time, when perhaps 98% of all 2600 games have finally surfaced.

At this moment, games from Brazil and Australia keep adding up to the total of known Atari 2600 game variations. I wouldn't be surprised if new countries from S-America and Asia will start doing the same as they too enter the (english speaking community on the) Internet.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Atari 2600 will remain the KING of classic systems to collect for for a long, long time

Cheers,

Marco

I think Action Man is the same as GI Joe, or was I wrong?

And I love the PAL only games like Bobby goes home, Snail vs Squirell and Peter Penguin. These are some of my favourites games.

Asterix is great too, I like it more then Taz. But the gameplay is near the same.

And here in germany is the same probleme to get NTSC games. Some only release in NTSC and most are rare from them.

Matthias

I only collect NTSC stuff unless it was only released in PAL format (and then only if it's a major release). For instance, I have Klax (just got an NTSC prototype), 32 in 1, Asterix, Action Man, Ghostbusters II all in PAL format but I don't go for all those Euro only games like Snail vs Squirrel, Forrest, Peter Penguin. I guess I only take PAL games if they help complete a manufacturers collection, I'm not starting new ones (like collecting all the Homevision games).

Slowly I've been moving into PAL games (I just got My Golf for instance) but then you get into all those pirate carts that I can't even play on my NTSC 2600. I'd rather put my energy into completing my NTSC collection first.

Tempest

• 1 month later...

OK. I actually set up a page on my website to track my progress on my "Countdown to 600 in 2001" challenge. It's not too exciting at the moment.. I've only had 1 entry in it so far (556 and counting...), but I hope to get some more trades under way very soon.

The countdown page is here for anyone who is interested in checking in.

Check out my trade list here if you want to trade!

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: twit ]

Wow sounds like a fun endeavor. Since I am an extreme newbie I would like to try and hit 100 by the end of the year. I have 20 as of now. And to truly show my utter newbieness what does NTSC and PAL stand for??

-->Malix The King Newbie<---

NTSC and PAL are Video Standards... NTSC format video is used primarily in North America and Taiwan while PAL is European (To add yet another level of complexity there's also the French SECAM standard). You probably won't have to really deal with that at all unless you start trading games with people outside whatever country you live in.

As for reaching 100, that should be very possible. For example, I just had a newbie collector email me, and I was able to start him out with over 60 different titles for pretty cheap. 100 is definitely a reachable goal, and you should be able to do it for under $100 if you have a few good thrift finds!

Just have fun with it - and don't take it too seriously!

Well I just got an atari 6 switch to add to my collection plus these games off of ebay for 40 bucks. Not to bad. Kind of takes the fun out of the collecting part of it but there are alot of games I do not have and have not played so I am looking forward to it none the less.

PAC MAN, HAUNTED HOUSE, STARMASTER, LOST LUGGAGE, SWORDQUEST, FISHING DERBY, DEMON ATTACK, COCONUTS, DONKEY KONG, E.T., REVENGE OF THE BEEFSTAKE TOMATOES, BARNSTORMING, KANGAROO, BERZERK, SPACE INVADERS, ASTEROIDS, NIGHT DRIVER, SPIDER FIGHTER, KEYSTONE KAPERS, TARGET FUN, ROL'N ROPE, SHARK ATTACK, FAST FOOD, GOPHER,BLUEPRINT,OINK, COSMIC ARK, DODGE EM, AND MAZE MANIA

Sounds like a pretty decent pick up there Malix..

I am somewhat a newbie to collecting too..

I have 2 2600s (1 Jr and 1 CX2600A for parts), 4 7800s (3 expansion port models and 1 for parts), an Intellivision and an Odyssey2 with 2 Voice modules..

I have somewhere in the area of 175 different carts for the 4 system types and am getting more into collecting day by day.

Lately the thrifts, 2nd hand shops, and flea markets in my area (Phoenix) are dead or extremely overpriced ($5 for PacMan in bad shape-come on). But yesterday I got new hope when I picked up my 3rd 7800 expansion port model and my 4 2600 carts came in the mail from ebay (Planet Patrol, Super Cobra, Fantastic Voyage and Solar Storm)

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: JagDiesel ]

Thanks for the info twit. I hit a salvation army, two goodwills and three pawn shops yesterday and came up with a big zero. Not going to be as easy as I thought. There is a big flea market here on weekends so I am hoping to get a good find there. Wish me luck.

--->Malix The king Newbie<---

quote:

Originally posted by Malix:

I hit a salvation army, two goodwills and three pawn shops yesterday and came up with a big zero. Not going to be as easy as I thought. There is a big flea market here on weekends so I am hoping to get a good find there. Wish me luck.

I think most of us are having similar problems. Things aren't as easy as they used to be, but good stuff does pop up from time to time. I do wish you luck at the flea market this weekend!

Malix, I used to live in Jax back 3 years ago... The Beach Blvd flea market was a hotbed of Atari finds then, of course, before I really started collecting..

Also, the SA up the road from that flea market is awesome, I picked up a bunch of Odyssey2 stuff there..

Also, you may check the Humane Society thrift shop up Beach Blvd towards Southside Blvd, they always had a bunch of systems and games...

Hope that helps

Cool man...yeah I hit the SA all they had were some NES controllers and that flea market is only open on weekends so I will try it this weekend. I had totally forgotten about that Humane society thrift store though. Thx That is on my way home from work.

Hi all,

About this subject,

i think collecting in general is about the quality of the collection, not the quantity.

An atari collection containing, let´s say 500 official releases would be much more interesting to a Museum than a collection of 2000 pirates/bootlegs.

A few weeks ago after a talk with Marco, I decided to keep just one cart of each Brazilian company, so on the Brazilian front I only collect different labels, not games (why have 20 games by Digivision if the labels look all the same and you already have the original games?).

I did the same for my pirate/taiwan collection, just kept one of each label variation.

So this decision must have lowered the count

of my collection by at least 35 cartridges, looks like I am going the wrong way

Sandy

p.s.

don´t get me wrong there´s nothing wrong with adding some EXOTIC stuff from Brazil to the collection every once in a while.

to scott: i've helped & and i'll help again, scott. i just recieved your package and i am real happy. don't think it would be easy to get a boxed sears 6-switch in europe, these were never exported to europe ... and it looks so beautifull. i nearly would say that i collect sears games (not atari). you'll get my updated list soon ...

to sandy: same for me, i only get one label variation of all the carts from brasil. there's just to much, as there was no copyright laws over there, or nobody cared ... but i make an exeption for CCE carts, as they really have some funny labels, and the condition is often better as the ones from video rental stores. Now there's something i specially like about those carts: i have over 950 carts (regulars & variations) but only the brasil ones look like they were really 20 years old ... that's why i focus on those ones at the moment ...

to all collectors: Brasil carts suck! send them to me!