IGNORED

Atari in movies

Inky

Hey, way to bring a zombie thread to life! :D

I don't remember any movie right now... but I do remember the TV show "V" the episode in with the lizzard-guy was sitting next to a blonde girl, who was pregnant with his child and he's playing Space Invaders in a black and white TV set... oh no... wait a minute, my TV set was b/w... oh well...

Cheers!

She's not pregnant yet in that scene! Spoiler alert ;) And it is in colour yes, and he isn't very good at that game either for an alien!

Why would he be good at a game where he shoots his own kind? I'm sure his heart just wasn't in it...

What about the episode of Futurama with the "Space Invaders", which also features Donkey Kong...

In Futurama episode 5 season 1 "Fear of a bot planet" they've used the berzerk robots voices ...

not exactly from a atari , but just cool anyway :]

Futurama has a million video game and computer jokes.

Due, I'd imagine, to the age of creators Matt Groening and David X. Cohen. Between them, they probably played all the classic systems.

-tet

When I watched the director's cut of Blade Runner it had been years since I'd seen the original movie and all the Atari references took me by suprise. I figure they were tied to the point that society had devolved and immediate gratification was the rule of the day. The Atari stuff was just a small part of it though.

In Gabriele Muccino's movie "La ricerca della felicità" with Will Smith when he goes to buy a vacuum valve (?) to repair a scanner (???) there's an Asteroids cart somewhere in the electronics store.

I googled it, "The Pursuit of Happyness" in the US.

The 2600 and a few games make an appearance in Gregg Araki's Mysterious Skin (:thumbsup:).

One scene features a flashback with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character playing Atari with his little league coach and includes this narration:

He had a giant TV, an Atari with Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Frogger. All my favorite games.

"Hah. You exploded. My turn."

I think an Imagic-brand video game storage center is in the movie too, but not certain.

• 4 weeks later...

Another movie you might want to watch is "Blade Runner" The Director's vision of the future where there's a lot of Atari advertisements. My friend pointed them all out to me after giving me an Atari Shirt for Christmas.

Holy fhtagn , I'm going to watch it again tomorrow and look out for them all! :D

Additionally in the very old episodes of the simpsons bart and homer used to play video games with atari joysticks and it appeared to be a boxing game if I remember correctly.

• 3 weeks later...