IGNORED

Anyone have Computer Chess ROM?

Anyone? Not Video Chess or anything, but the Atari prototype. I could swear I used to have this, but lost all my ROMs once in a hard drive crash. This is the only one I haven't been able to replace that I remembered having, but maybe I'm imagining it.

It's fine now, the hard drive crash was almost a year ago. I just realized that we don't have the ROM and I could swear I used to have it. I know at the time it wasn't widely available, and I believe we were the first ones to post it on the Atari 2600 Nexus. But if I'm not imagining it, then I'm sure somebody grabbed it from us. If not, then we probably never had it.

I'm sitting at about the same number of ROMS and I don't have Computer Chess either. I've been collecting ROMS for all systems for years now, and although I haven't really noticed the lack of the Computer Chess ROM, I haven't found it on any of the ROMS sites I frequent either.

I don't think I've ever seen it available. Are you sure you had it in the first place?

I guess this is as good as place as any to update everyone on my prototype roms. I am going to send them off to be dumped very soon (yeah I know I said that 2 months ago). The reason I've been waiting so long is that I'm in the middle of getting another large batch of prototypes and I want to do them all at once (I'm a little paranoid that they're going to get lost in the mail).

I suppose there's no hurry, how many people are just dying to play an incomplete version of Star Raiders that doesn't use the touch pad or freaky version of Xari Arena that allows you to change you paddle shape. Unfortunetly most of my prototypes are more interesting than fun to play.

Tempest

Tempest,

I still wonder why Atari didn't just stay with the utilization of the switches? It would have reduced the initial cost to buy Star Raiders...and perhaps would have worked out better. I know I prefer Star Master to Star Raiders simply because the touch pad isn't needed for SM. Perhaps Atari felt that using the BW/Color switches..etc..would wear out the consoles too fast?

Although...it would have taken more than just using the switches for Star Raiders to really be a kick butt game. I know there are those here who love it...but I find it quirky to play. Not to mention that the radar scanner is useless. Plus...the galactic scanner grid ...is way way too small.

I need to check out the 5200 version. Maybe I would like that one better?

They could have set it up like Activision did with Starmaster. You could select the computer and shields using the difficulty switches...which is done. Then you could use the bw/color switch for the map...use the joystick to select where to warp..and simply press the fire button to engage.

That is basically how you do it in starmaster. Only they of course didn't do the whole computer/shields toggle bit.

BTW...the difficulty switches are used anyway in the real release to make the computer be selectable to be on or off..or the shields same way. Basically in the b novice position...the puter and shields are always on..and can't be turned off. But in the a expert position...you have to turn them on with the touch pad but can also turn them off to conserve energy. Might plug an actual touch pad into your system Tempest and see if that is how it still works. Otherwise you might only be missing the galactic scanner and hyperwarp options.

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: -^Cro§Bow^- ]

I just tested it, the touch pad doesn't do anything, but the Color/BW switch makes the bar at the bottom of the screen turn grey. It's been a long time since I've played the 2600 version of Star Raiders, what does that mean?

Tempest

Nothing...except that Atari had half the implementation in there for actually going to BW mode...hehe..

Seriously...that has to be it.

Well...if the touch pad didn't do anything...then I guess it is very incomplete and thereby unplayable?

I was thinking about why Atari just didn't use the console switches, and the only answer that I could come up with is that there just weren't enough of them.

The prototype uses the left and right difficulty switches to control shields and the targeting computer, since there is no map (and thus no hyperspace) it works fine for the proto. If you were to add these what switches could you use? I suppose you could use the color/BW switch for the map and maybe select switch for hyperspace...

Maybe it would have worked after all? I'll have to play around with that proto and see. I actually discovered the switch thing by accident, so who knows what else is different? Maybe someone should e-mail Carla and find out why she changed it?

Tempest

I thought that too at first, but when I have my shields up the screen is still blue so it's definetly not in B&W. I'll have to play around with it some more and see what that switch does.

It's complete, but it's not the same game we all know and love. It's basically a shooter, you select a set number of ships to destroy (10-50) and then sit in one sector and blow away ships. It's basically like Star Raiders with only one sector (and no starbase).

Tempest

Speaking of games that use the Atari switches to do things in games...

did anyone every actually make it through the Space Shuttle simulator game that was produced by Activision? I loved that game. It came with a fairly thick instruction book, and every phase (even rescuing a satellite) had a procedure for it involving every switch on the console. The landing sequence was next to impossible to complete. The graphics were good and it took a good 30 minutes to an hour to complete a mission. Well thought-out and ingenious design on someone's part.

I actually did learn space shuttle petty damn well. In fact I was able to dock with the satellite multiple times...

However, I didn't own the cart at the time I was only borrowing it. Now I am on the hunt for another copy of space shuttle. But I need everything to do it as I used to be able to.

Also..let's not forget Ghostbusters...you had to use the stupid switch there to set the bait for the marshmallow man...and to get the game started initially.

Still GB is fun as hell and one of the better later Activision releases...

Hello Alex,

Well I have all the old Nexus A2600 ROMs on my HD. They are Dated ~26.08.1997 and have the 8+3 Mask. I didnt find a File called CChees or somthing else. If you know the old Name for it then I could find it out for you...

Bye,

brabel

Brabel,

Thanks for checking. I don't remember what the file name was, and it's entirely possible that I am imagining this. I've emailed the guy who rediscovered the game and asked if he ever dumped the ROM or distributed it, but I haven't heard back. I also searched Google Groups and didn't find any record of an announcement of the ROM being available which doesn't bode well.

• 3 weeks later...

I only know one guy with the game, and when I asked a while back if he'd dump it he said he was still enjoying its unique status. I tried to talk him into at least dumping it before bit rot gets it even if he doesn't release the ROM, but I'm not sure he did that or will.

I know how good that can feel. I've never had a one of a kind game before but I do have a few unique versions of some popular games. Since my protos are of released games I'm going to release them whenI get them dumped but if I had a one of a kind I'd have to think long and hard about it (I'd probably release it anyway).

I'm having all of my games backed up so when bit rot finally takes them I can just have them redumped again. Then the proto will be good as new.

Tempest