IGNORED

Creating a new TIA!

garyp

I am starting a hardware / software project to build all the features of the Atari 2600's TIA (or Stella) chip into a PIC. It will not be pin for pin compatable but as the 6507 and 6532 chips are readily available, this project (if succesful) would enable ANYONE to build themselves an Atari 2600 system from scratch. Just want to know if anyone out there is interested or would like to contribute. My email address is gazp@facehugger.com, Thanks!

I am interested...as this sounds like the perfect way of being able to build your own Portable 2600. My question is what contributions are you needing...since you stated that both the Tia and Riot chips were readily avail to you?

Basically, I'm writing the code in PIC C. But anyone who has any info on the TIA or can program for the PIC in assembly or C should get in touch. I have all the original Atari docs on the TIA. I was initially gonna build the thing from logic chips but after thinking about it, it would be massive! A PIC 16f77 seemed a better option. Ant input would be appriciated!

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: GazP ]

That sounds like a pretty cool project and I'm sure you'd find many people interested in it when you've finished. Not being a hardware guy myself, what does this mean in terms of the reduction in complexity it'll mean for someone trying to build a 2600-compatible board?

..Al

The only custom chip in the 2600 is the TIA, which to the best of my knowledge is not available (being designed in '76 an all!) So if this project works anyone could build the core of a 2600 system for next to nothing! As the PIC can be bought as a surface mount (i.e. tiny) component, it would be ideal for a portable and cheap 2600 system!

I'am interested too....

I'm programming in C++ and machine langage (6502, 68000, 80x86) if this may help.... let me know.

I've never programmed pics so far... maybe it's time to learn

maybe, it would be usefull that you create a web page with all the infos related to the project ? just an idea....

I'm gonna try and get a bit of interest first, and if anyone would like to help then I'll start up a web page as soon as pos! If anyone would like the PIC source code so far, or any of the info about the TIA then let me know! Looking at it so far, it will take me ages to do it on my own

I'm in university at the moment, got loads of end of year electronics stuff to be doing but I'll mail it to you as soon as I can. Will either be tomorrow or the next day. Do you want any of the TIA files I've got (such as register info) ?

The only custom chip in the 2600 is the TIA, which to the best of my knowledge is not available (being designed in '76 an all!) So if this project works anyone could build the core of a 2600 system for next to nothing! As the PIC can be bought as a surface mount (i.e. tiny) component, it would be ideal for a portable and cheap 2600 system!  

Ahhh, that makes great sense. It never dawned on me that one would have to steal the TIA from existing 2600 units in order to create portables or other 2600-derivatives. What would be cool is to see someone create a single-chip Atari 2600 solution. But I doubt that'll happen anytime soon as you'd have to include the 6507 and 6532 logic, which I'm sure Motorola wouldn't be too pleased with (assuming those were both designed by Motorola, I don't have an open 2600 handy.. )

..Al

I've updated the code now, as the last version had errors. I'll mail it to you as soon as pos. I've also started work on some html pages for the project.

At the moment, there are a few sites around of people ripping 2600's to bits (ouch, destroy a piece of history why don't ya!) but I'd rather not have to do that to build a completely new system. The one chip solution would most likely be the next step for this project, don't know. See how this goes first!

Oh yeah, the chips are made by Motorola, but can be got from Rockwell and other suppliers too. I don't think they'd mind too much If you could get a PIC with a fast enough clock and enough RAM you could program it with a sort of Atari 2600 emulator!

In case you haven't seen it, here's something relevant from the May archive of the Stella mailing list ( http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ ):

quote:

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Joe Grand wrote:

> At 04:25 PM 5/17/2001 -0400, Chris wrote:

>

> >Thesis: I have bare TIA dice (silicon chips) in hand, both with and

> >without the top metal layer. Will hopefully get complete photographs

> >and video next week.

>

> Very cool.. What is your thesis topic?

Reverse engineering the TIA and reproducing it, probably in a FPGA. I hope to make the thing cheap and low power (NMOS sucks a lot of power). And maybe faster, but that is a story for another time. The other main goal is to get complete SCHEMATICS so we'll finally know how all the software tricks work...exactly.