IGNORED

VCSp

liquid_sky

Im thinking of getting a VCSp, on the page he mentions the new gold edition, it sounds nice. Anyone have any suggestions/or owns a VCSp? IF i get ione im thinking of just getting a multicart that way i can have all my fave games in one handy case and wont risk harming my games luggin them around..

btw here is the site VCSp

It would be amazing if they could get a deal to start mass producing this product. I would love to have one. But wish they could have all rom images loaded on it already or be able to allow you to load your own roms for play instead of carrying around a bunch of carts. I wonder if they have been approached by anyone serious into mass production. good luck to them.

It would be amazing if they could get a deal to start mass producing this product. I would love to have one. But wish they could have all rom images loaded on it already or be able to allow you to load your own roms for play instead of carrying around a bunch of carts.

I would also love to see this happen as well, but it's probably pretty expensive to put something like this into "mass production". Well, technically it's probably not very difficult (the 2600 is a fairly simple beast by today's standards), but I bet it would take a huge outlay of cash up front, more than most hobbyists probably have laying around.

As for including ROMs, now that would be much more difficult as you'd have to deal with licensing issues with many different companies. You'd have to go through the same trouble Ken Love at Activision is doing, trying to track down who the heck owns the licenses to all these games. Some, such as the Atari and Activision titles, are fairly obvious and you'd probably have a hard time getting the rights to those (even for release solely on a portable unit). Then there are all the small, third-party companies like Mythicon that you'd have to track down. Maybe that's a bad example, I don't think many people would want to play those three games.

Now, if someone could make a portable unit that had either built-in RAM or a CompactFlash slot, then you could use a computer to choose what games you want loaded into the unit. That would be ideal. You can fit a huge number of games into a 128MB CF card!

..Al

I wonder if anyone down at Infogrames has heard of this thing... It would be really cool if they could help out with some of the mass-production. Most companies would probably think that this would be a waste of time and money since it's so old, but since Infogrames seems fairly in-touch with the idea of classic games, they might be a little more receptive (Plus, they paid all that money for Atari's rights... they might as well DO something with them). They wouldn't even have to make all that many really, after all, it's pretty obvious this thing isn't going to be outselling the Gameboy anytime soon. (Unfortunately, smaller production runs actually means *less* profits, and therefor a more expensive product... but it's a smaller investment at least)

As for liscensing rights... If Infogrames were to actually give their graces to this machine, they could include some of Atari's games either built into the system or on a multicart (32-in-1 anyone?), perhaps they could also deal with some of the more important companies for rights to their games as well (Activision, Imagic, etc). Are there any roms that already could be used legally? (either because the rights have defaulted to the public domain, or because the company has released it like was done with the Vectrex)

I realize Infogrames is probably more interested in making games that appeal to everyone rather than the %2 of the population that doesn't care about the extra graphics and junk, but I still think it would be amazingly cool of them to do this

--Zero