IGNORED

Burger Time for the 5200?

kenfused

I've been lurking in this thread since it began. The game looks fantastic, and I can't wait until it's completed and available.

I do have one petty request, though -

I'd like to enter my vote to keep the name Burgertime. If it must be changed, I understand, after all, it's not my money or liability at risk.

However, I'd prefer the original name if possible. - Maybe somebody could actually approach the current owners (somebody here said that looked like Hudsonsoft?), and actually request permission to use the name? It seems to me it's possible they'd be relaxed and flexible about things, considering the low volume of sales that would be involved.

I understand if this is untenable, but I don't want to see the possibilty missed simply because it was never even considered.

Whats the news?

Anythign we all might have missed?

Daniel

There have been no game play changes this past week mostly because I was on vacation and was going to work on it some and didn't. The only changes I have made today are cosmetic (see pic below). So, too keep ppl busy, try entering 467 on the title screen and play in the Adkin's Diet mode. Note that unfornately in this mode (unlike the vegerarian mode), the screen can clear prematurely before all parts are dropped on the last burger so it is considered a cheat mode and the score/hiscore will clear when the game is over.

post-4263-1087881768_thumb.jpg

that new title screen looks awesome!  

Didn't mean to be a pushy jerk or nuttin, was just excited to hear of any new news..

Daniel

No problem at all. I appreciate all feedback and interest. I am hoping to get the final updates wrapped up soon (this week or next).

Now I know NOTHING about 5200 programming and graphics modes, but you know what would look cool..

The Beef drop characters waling around or under or behind the logo with a little tune going on..

Daniel

and I will buy an 8-bit version of this on Cart, it will be awesome!

Kenfused,

Going back to the whole name change. My question is why?

For the Atari 2600 as well as the ColecoVision the following games - have been released with their 'original arcade' titles:

Pac-Man (Arcade version Rob Kudlow (sp?)) - Atari 2600

Space Inavaders (Arcade) - Both Atari 2600 - graphic hack and now Opcodes practically Arcade perfect port to the ColecoVision

Berzerk (Voice Enhanced) - Atari 2600

...and others

The above games are available in cartridge format and for sale. No legal issues or problems. By far titles like Pac-Man and Space Invaders have received more up-to-date releases on current systems and collections than Burger-Time.

I would think if games are being released with their original 'arcade title' for outdated systems which are currently being sold or updated as ports on new systems (Such as the GameBoy Advance and PlayStation 2), and have received no legal complications, I don't see how Burger Time for the Atari 5200 should give you any hassel whatsoever.

I could imagine if perhaps you were creating the game for the GameBoy Advance, but for the Atari 5200 - I don't believe there should be any problem with retaining the game title 'Burger Time'.

Just my two cents ;-)

Lots of answers to past questions a new release:

Is there any way to add a frame or two of animation tho the pickels so they flip? And the flip horizontally I believe, and to the falling burger parts, just a slight wobble when they impact?

The adding of the scores when they get squished is awesome, good implementation, although when multiple enmies get hit the sores become blobs. Any chance of multiple score a second apart, or space out so not to overlap?

Main problem with the pickles flipping is there is a fixed (in the PM engine) wide missile behind each enemy (yellow). There may then have to be provisions to have it turn off or move. The graphics are carefully designed to take this into account. If I had to do it over I probably would have added a few more frames of animation for each enemy. Animating the burger parts hitting would be a lot of work especially because of the way the game handles dropping the parts.

I know what you mean when they stack up. The logic might be kind of complicated for what it gains so I doubt if I will change it. Just drop a bunch instead of smashing them and then you won't have that problem :-)

Now I know NOTHING about 5200 programming and graphics modes, but you know what would look cool..

The Beef drop characters waling around or under or behind the logo with a little tune going on..

This is a little complicated to do in it's current implementation since the player movement routines use all kind of DLI's for multiplexing and the the title screen is completely different. I did add at least an intro to them on the main title screen in the last release, and doing that was more complicated than it should be. I had hoped to do a little demo mode but that would be a lot of work

When I tested the game a few days ago, I found it annoying that I had to reenter my initials for the highscore everytime. Maybe the game could remember the last entered initials?

Doesn't take much time compared to playing a game :-). It kinda breaks it from the arcade version. Would the person then have to pick RUB 3 times to clear it, or maybe default the letters but then there would need to be a way to skip entered letters. Would need to think about it some more.

Kenfused,  

Going back to the whole name change.  My question is why?

I agree the chance for legal problems are slight and probably aren't 0% in its current implementation but does keep it a little more low profile. Also, since it is not an original commerical release, I would like to keep it distinquished a little as a homebrew. Would there be a lot of interest in a sequence of key presses to change the on screen title? Course if I did that, people would probably hack the ROM (but I guess they could anyways if they created there own title).

Someone mentioned a way to mute the music, although I can't find the post.

New release today Jun-24. In game, '1' will mute the main music, and '2' will restore it. Also fixed a graphics glitch sometimes if start or a key is held down on the title screen when the enemies and chef pete are being introduced. Please those who can test the sound muting on real hardware since reading the keys always seem to be something I mess up on.

demo0624.zip

I'm going to try and let this be the last I comment on the name, and I'll try to be brief. (I don't want to harass you about it, after all it's your game and your decision.)

I already voiced my opinion to keep the original name. If you decide to change it however, PLEASE, please, please, not the current 'Beef Drop'. Honestly, I really don't like that name. Several good suggestions were made in this thread, all better than that one.

Just my opinion, obviously. And I'll most likely buy the game regardless, so no worries there.

I was the one that asked for a sound on/off option.

On a good day I don't mind the music.

On a bad day, well....

I've been forgetting to mention, but I noticed that the enemies always dissapear when you drop them. I know in the arcade in some cases they would stay at the bottom and "climb" out of the burger and continue pursuing.

Never saw this behavior in the few times I played it.

BTW it's great to see all the levels in there. Definite two thumbs up.

I need some real opions on this version. I complete rewrote the enemy AI routines. It also has the benefit now that it can be more easily tweaked and is probably 10% of the size in code. Each enemy now has a different behavior as far as taking a ladder when you are on the same platform. Hot dogs have a very small chance of leaving the persuit, eggs are the most likely to take a ladder and pickles somewhere in the middle. I think on the real game, this possibly varies as a level progresees then they will be less likely to take a ladder but will need to play the real thing in MAME some more.

demo0625.zip

I love it, it's great..

Everything feels right to me, and I've played just about every version of Btime I can think of.

Oh and BTW, I have room in my arcade for one more machine and yer makin me choose Burgertime..

So what is your planned outcome of this? on Cart, floppy? A floppy release would be way retro, and maybe give us artists a chance to make some keen load screens?

I like to see both released..

And I know all of us have requested ya to death, but I got one more,

The main logo Beef Drop looks good, but the logo needs something to shine it up a bit, either some shading, or highlight? If a slight highlight was added, they almost migh look like balloon letters..

I'm an artist and was wondering if a label contest was on the horizon?

Daniel

I would like to start considering this as a release candidate as far as game play is concerned (How the enemies act for example). I may still make minor cosmetic changes to the title, etc. So this is the last chance for any compaints or obsevations on game play. The version attached to this has one bug fix from the previous version that the game will not get stuck if you earn a free life after you die (or at least I think I have it fixed).

One thing I have not added is an attract mode (screen saver), in that he colors will not reduce in brightness and cycle (or other form). Does anyone have an opinion of how necessary this is?

I will probably still distribute the free demo if any cartridge is released but note that any cartridge release may have addition features such as an intro screen and the ability to select a few more screens, etc. (none of this is guaranteed though).

A 5200 cartridge release and maybe a label contest are all possibilities but that is up to Albert.

demo0627_rc.zip

Kenfused,

One thing I *have* noticed is the pattern/movement of the hotdogs is 'sometimes/slightly' off. Basically, in the arcade the Hot Dogs *always* move directly in the direction of Chief Pete whatever level/plateau he may be on. However, *every* ladder they come across while in route to Chef Peter they should take - and take in the direction - up or down - that would best place them the closest to Chief Pete.

The only exception to the ladder rule is if they are on the same level as Chef Pete with only one ladder seperating them, then typically, the Hotdog will skip over the ladder to catch Chef Peter directly.

With your version I noticed the Hotdogs follow the above pattern.'rule' a little better than half the time. Sometimes the Hotdogs go up a ladder when they should be going down toward Chef Pete, other times they go left when they should be going right (or vica versa). Addionally, I've seen a Hot Dog head completely in the opposite direction of Chef Pete (heading further away AND skip a ladder).

Nonetheless, as stated earlier this is one of the best ports available for Burger Time (Still wish you would use the Arcade name :-) ... I have yet to see *any* port of Burger Time simulate the moving pattern of the 'enemies' perfectly. The current version is more than enough for a solid/official release...I only posted the above b/c you asked ;-)

Kenfused,

One thing I *have* noticed is the pattern/movement of the hotdogs is 'sometimes/slightly' off.  Basically, in the arcade the Hot Dogs *always* move directly in the direction of Chief Pete whatever level/plateau he may be on.  However, *every* ladder they come across while in route to Chef Peter they should take - and take in the direction - up or down - that would best place them the closest to Chief Pete.

The only exception to the ladder rule is if they are on the same level as Chef Pete with only one ladder seperating them, then typically, the Hotdog will skip over the ladder to catch Chef Peter directly.

With your version I noticed the Hotdogs follow the above pattern.'rule' a little better than half the time.  Sometimes the Hotdogs go up a ladder when they should be going down toward Chef Pete, other times they go left when they should be going right (or vica versa).  Addionally, I've seen a Hot Dog head completely in the opposite direction of Chef Pete (heading further away AND skip a ladder).

Is this true even in the last two releases since the enemy AI was rewritten?

Kenfused,

One thing I *have* noticed is the pattern/movement of the hotdogs is 'sometimes/slightly' off.  Basically, in the arcade the Hot Dogs *always* move directly in the direction of Chief Pete whatever level/plateau he may be on.  However, *every* ladder they come across while in route to Chef Peter they should take - and take in the direction - up or down - that would best place them the closest to Chief Pete.

With your version I noticed the Hotdogs follow the above pattern.'rule' a little better than half the time.  Sometimes the Hotdogs go up a ladder when they should be going down toward Chef Pete, other times they go left when they should be going right (or vica versa).  Addionally, I've seen a Hot Dog head completely in the opposite direction of Chef Pete (heading further away AND skip a ladder).

Is this true even in the last two releases since the enemy AI was rewritten?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing because in the last release which I just played they seemed more arcade like.

Also he was slightly incorrect. If you are on the top or bottom level some will head straight for you.

Anyways this is by far the best and most accurate console version I've ever played.

Dunno if it is to late.

Well I played the arcade one real quick and the only main diff I can see "gameplay wise" is in certain cases the baddies do not dissapear and come from the left/right side all the time.

Alot of times they re-appear from wherever the burger stopped and climb out to the platform above it.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but maybe I did not phrase it correctly.

Either way it's the best conversion I've played on any system and that is saying alot!!