IGNORED

Atari Lynx Emulator for N-Gage

Albert

lgage.jpgDid you buy an N-Gage only to be disappointed with the assortment of games available for the system? A new Atari Lynx emulator for the N-Gage, called L-Gage has been released. Now you can play the large library of Lynx games on your N-Gage! If you're familiar with the Lynx, then you know it suffers from poor battery life and a washed out screen, two problems that are solved by playing Lynx games on the N-Gage! Future releases promise exciting features, such as the ability to play ComLynx games via wireless Bluetooth! To learn more about the emulator and download the initial release, please visit the L-Gage Home Page.

:ahoy: Arrr... so this be the joke for the year...

Heh... actually if it is, it's kind of a shame. The Lynx does have a short battery life and an emulator on another system that doesn't would well address that. I mean it's not like we'll be seeing a Lynx MKIII, right?

Although if an emulator were programmed, the system of choice really should be the Game Boy Advance. After all, it does have a wider screen that would fit nicely. It also has a nice battery life (especially the "eternal" Game Boy Advance SP system), and the button layout would be ideal for Lynx games. :D

Only drawback would be that you couldn't use the left-handed option.

Given that the real emulators already released for the Series 60 family include:

* MAME

* C64

* Gameboy/Gameboy Colour

* MSX

* NES

* Atari 2600 (as part of a commercial package)

* Spectrum

* Neo Geo Pocket Colour

This was a particularly stupid joke. I bet someone will have a Lynx emulator running on this platform within a year.

It would be pointless to have a Lynx EMU on an Ngage.  How are you supposed to play games like Klax on it?  That and the Ngage is a piece of garbage.

Actually, with the vertically oriented screen on the N-Gage, games like Klax and Gauntlet III would actually be well-suited. While I agree the N-Gage is a piece of garbage, it would make a nice platform to emulate the Lynx. Similar form factor, better screen (at least in terms of brightness and color reproduction), better battery life. And it would be cool to support ComLynx games with Bluetooth. Yes, the orientation of the screen is unfortunate, not sure why they went with it (maybe to match the vertical nature of typical phone screens?)

Someone mentioned writing a Lynx emulator for the GBA. I have my doubts as to whether the GBA is powerful enough. The Lynx has some powerful sprite and scaling hardware, not sure how that matches up to the GBA hardware (to say nothing about actually emulating the Lynx CPU and other functionality). Would be great to see, though.

..Al

While I agree the N-Gage is a piece of garbage,  ...  Yes, the orientation of the screen is unfortunate, not sure why they went with it (maybe to match the vertical nature of typical phone screens?)

Perhaps you're not aware of the fact that the N-Gage is one of Nokia's Series 60 family, which includes the 3650, 3660, 7650 and 6600 -- not to mention a number of non-Nokia handsets. Until the 6600 was released, it was the most powerful of the S60 series, with far more RAM than prior models. Yet because of heavy discounting it is the cheapest, and it's available off-plan.

The Series 60 platform is, in my opinion, the best smartphone standard currently available. It doesn't sacrifice the phone in order to be smart. If you've used any Nokia handset before you can use a Series 60 phone as a phone without needing to read the manual. At the same time you can install any one of thousands of applications on your phone. Emulators are the tip of the iceberg. The Opera web browser is available for S60. The N-Gage comes bundled with an MP3 player, I've also installed an Ogg Vorbis player, an SSH client and the latest Helix DNA player.

(final snide remark removed)

Nokia makes very nice phones for the most part, but the n-gage was a failure on many levels, from design to execution. The fact that you can run so many programs on it makes it neat I agree.. but remember that it is made as a GAME CONSOLE, and that is where it has fallen on its face.

...Someone mentioned writing a Lynx emulator for the GBA.  I have my doubts as to whether the GBA is powerful enough.  The Lynx has some powerful sprite and scaling hardware, not sure how that matches up to the GBA hardware (to say nothing about actually emulating the Lynx CPU and other functionality).  Would be great to see, though.  

..Al

Yeah, that was my two-cents worth. Not really all that familiar with how game hardware works in detail and comparison between GBA and Lynx specs (after all, I've only been in college for two years and still have a little more growing to do :D ).

I am curious, though. What might possibly prevent the GBA from emulating a Lynx? The GBA can do scaling as the Lynx can. The GBA, far as I can tell, has a faster processor and is 32-bit (versus the Lynx's 16-bit hardware). The only problem I forsee is Comlynx games that can have up to 8 players. You'd only be able to have four, given the GBA only allows a four-party LAN of GBAs.

Great Work!!!!

The n-gage screen fits very nicely to Lynx games as you can fit the screen

both horizontally or vertically on the Lynx without losing any pixels.

I would love to contribute to the port. I am already developing for the n-gage and the new toolkits released last week allows to code even closer to the hardware.

--

Cheers,

Karri

PS. I just bought my second n-gage now as the street price is down to 191 euros. This platform is a dream to come true. The built-in email and web browser worked over GPRS from Moscow to my home server in Finland last weekend without problems.

And after playing a few levels of Tony Hawks for myself I can assure that it is the perfect choice for a gaming platform.

I would love to contribute to the port. I am already developing for the n-gage and the new toolkits released last week allows to code even closer to the hardware.

This actually was an April Fool's joke, there is no L-Gage emulator, at least not yet. :) My hope is maybe this will encourage someone to write such an emulator, as I think the N-Gage is a good platform for it, although I'm not crazy about the N-Gage itself. Another phone in the same series might work better for me--and I do need to replace my aging and failing Nokia 8260.

..Al

And after playing a few levels of Tony Hawks for myself I can assure that it is the perfect choice for a gaming platform.

You do realize that the NGage has no custom game hardware, yes? It's just a generic programmable cell phone that's pretending to be a game system.

The GamePark 32 walks all over the NGage for handheld emulation.

I just bought my second n-gage now as the street price is down to 191 euros. This platform is a dream to come true. The built-in email and web browser worked over GPRS from Moscow to my home server in Finland last weekend without problems.

Now I hope you don't forget all about our beloved Lynx and the development of Strardreamer just because you have found a new toy to play with ;)

Well.... I obviously mistaked this project to be the real porting project that is also going on. That has been discussed for quite a while on another forum so this joke will soon turn into reality.

--

Cheers,

Karri

but remember that it is made as a GAME CONSOLE, and that is where it has fallen on its face.

It's marketed as a games console, and it's actually the best mobile phone available for games, so while it might not be a financial success, it certainly is an engineering one.

but remember that it is made as a GAME CONSOLE, and that is where it has fallen on its face.

It's marketed as a games console, and it's actually the best mobile phone available for games, so while it might not be a financial success, it certainly is an engineering one.

I don't know about that, as there are several things I would have liked them to do to the actual design to make it a bit easier for playing games. ;) I'm still waiting for them to throw the silly things in a bargain bin myself before I'm tempted to pick one up. :)

--

Mord