IGNORED

Create Your Own Adventure! - Final Version Released

Atarius Maximus

You could edit the value used as the starting screen at $F396. Just enter the number of whatever screen needs testing, and you'll be there on game start. Change $F3A8 to $01 if you want all the dragons dead so you won't have to deal with them during testing.

F395: A9,11 LDA #$11 ;Get the yellow castle room.

F397: 85,8A STA $8A ;Make it the current room.

F399: 85,E2 STA $E2 ;Make it the previous room.

F39B: A9,50 LDA #$50 ;Get the X coordinate.

F39D: 85,8B STA $8B ;Make it the current ball X coordinate.

F39F: 85,E3 STA $E3 ;Make it the previous ball X coordinate.

F3A1: A9,20 LDA #$20 ;Get the Y coordinate.

F3A3: 85,8C STA $8C ;Make it the current ball Y coordinate.

F3A5: 85,E4 STA $E4 ;Make it the previous ball Y coordinate.

F3A7: A9,00 LDA #$00 ;0=first state

F3A9: 85,A8 STA $A8 ;Set the red dragon's state to OK.

F3AB: 85,AD STA $AD ;Set the yellow dragon's state to OK.

F3AD: 85,B2 STA $B2 ;Set the green dragon's state to OK.

F3AF: 85,DF STA $DF ;Set the note count to zero

F3B1: A9,90 LDA #$90 ;null object number

F3B3: 85,9D STA $9D ;Set no object being carried.

You could edit the value used as the starting screen at $F396.

Thank you very much for that tip! That will really help me. :thumbsup:

The bugs mentioned by atwwong yesterday have been fixed in my newest version, however I'm not ready to release it yet. I'm going to wait until later this week for another release, I want to spend more time bug-checking this time, and I'd also like to add a little more polish to the look of the app. Hopefully, by the next release, this thing should be pretty rock solid.

I'm going to wait until later this week for another release, I want to spend more time bug-checking this time, and I'd also like to add a little more polish to the look of the app. Hopefully, by the next release, this thing should be pretty rock solid.

Sounds good to me! I await with anticipation... :D

Thanks again!

The final release is ready! This version has been bug tested by myself over and over again, and I couldn't find any problems. Even with that said, I'm sure someone will find something wrong eventually. :) There were some minor bug fixes put into this release, but I primarily focused on some interface enhancements, all to give the application a more professional appearance and make it easier to use.

Here are some of the changes:

:arrow: There is now a toolbar that you can use to access some of the most used functions of the application.

:arrow: There is now a preferences menu to turn the toolbar and status bar on and off.

:arrow: The editing colors on all of the windows have changed, many now match the color of the original adventure screen that you are editing. This causes problems with old save files, which is discussed below.

:arrow: Some menu items have been slightly rearranged to make selection of items more intuitive.

:arrow: The help file was given it's final update.

:arrow: A new section in "help" allows you to read the original Adventure Instruction Manual, some history on the game, and shows pictures of the original game cartridge and box.

:arrow: A consistent color theme was given to all the windows. I attempted to choose a color scheme that would be easy on the eyes.

:arrow: New buttons with "!" on them were placed as informational buttons on windows that are non -standard in some way (asymmetric playfield, shared lines, etc). This replaces the text boxes that previously provided this info, which cluttered up the windows.

:!: Because of the color changes, there is yet another compatibility issue with the save files from previous versions. I would recommend that you simply start over and discard your old saved maps, but there is a way to use them if you really need to. Here are the steps to re-using old save files:

1. Open CYOA and create a new set of save files in a new directory.

2. Copy and write over the new files with your old ones, with the exception of colors.dat. DO NOT REUSE COLORS.DAT, it will cause problems.

3. Load your save files. The maps will re-load fine, but with incorrect colors. The colors are important to how the application reads the playfield map. You will have to click on EACH square again, changing the color from the old orange color to the new color, whatever that may be. Any map that still uses orange as the editing color will not have to be updated.

4. After changing all of the map screens, save your files again.

I don't plan on making any further updates unless additional problems are reported. I'll post the executable only for now, the full setup package will be made avaialbe once I make arrangements with Albert to host it here on Atari Age (hopefully he'll let me! ;) )

Have Fun!

:)

cyoa1.00.32.zip

WOW! What a piece of work  

I am very impressed.

Thanks. :)

Thank you thank you thank you...

You're welcome. :)

Just for everyone's general information, here's how the save files match up with the maps & sprites in the application:

MAP1.DAT=Blue Maze Entry

MAP2.DAT=Center of Blue Maze

MAP3.DAT=Bottom of Blue Maze

MAP4.DAT=Blue Maze Left

MAP5.DAT=Top of Blue Maze

MAP6.DAT=Invisible Maze Entry

MAP7.DAT=Invisible Maze Bottom

MAP8.DAT=Invisible Maze Middle

MAP9.DAT=White Castle Maze Top Left

MAP10.DAT=White Castle Maze Top Right

MAP11.DAT=White Castle Maze Bottom Left

MAP12.DAT=White Castle Maze Entry

MAP13.DAT=Below Yellow Castle

MAP14.DAT=Black Castle Maze Bottom Left

MAP15.DAT=Black Castle Maze Entry

MAP16.DAT=Black Castle Maze Top Left

MAP17.DAT=Black Castle Maze Top Right

MAP18.DAT=Castles

MAP19.DAT=Left of Easter Egg Room

MAP20.DAT=Side Corridor Room

MAP21.DAT=Top Entry Room

MAP22.DAT=Two Exit Room

MAP23.DAT=Level Select Room

SPRITE1.DAT=Bat

SPRITE2.DAT=Bridge

SPRITE3.DAT=Chalice

SPRITE4.DAT=Dragon (Normal State)

SPRITE5.DAT=Dragon (Dead)

SPRITE6.DAT=Dragon (Attacking)

SPRITE7.DAT=SwordandGate

COLORS.DAT=Colors & Room Visibility Options

OBJECTS.DAT=Object Placement Options

I've decided to make the Source Code available. It was created wtih Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition, Service Pack 4.

I know this code is very inefficient. I don't program for a living, so I have an excuse. :wink: Just try to limit how much you make fun of it. :D

cyoasource.zip

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there a copy of the original maze maps for this someplace? I just want to make a few edits without redrawing them from scratch, as I keep screwing it up. I'm fine with most of the rooms, but the actual mazes are not working out. If not, I'll make do, but it'd sure be convenient!

• 9 years later...
  • 6 years later...