IGNORED

DOS manual

Trooper

Hi people!!

Now to give you a background to my question, I never owned a diskdrive for my trusty old 8-bit so I have now idea how to work one.

Now I'm trying to go through a bunch of .ATR's but have no Idea how to list the dir or how to run what is on the disks, when using the cassetteplayer I used to have I simply typed Load "filename" but this would obviously not be the exact same when using the diskdrive so.....please help me. Is there a DOS manual somewhere on the net, what DOS should I use etc etc etc

Cheers!!

Troop

Atari Dos works in 2 parts...Dos.sys which loads the program that allows you to access the drive and work with files, and Dup.sys that contains the menu commands - which takes over the need to work with confusing XIO commands from Basic. In order to use the drive at all, you need to "boot" a disk that contains at least the dos.sys file. This is done by turning off the computer, turning on the drive, inserting a floppy that has a dos file, and turning on the computer. To use Dup.sys (or Dos Uitility Package), just enter DOS and hit return. Keep in mind that you will lose any program that is in memory (unless you already activated mem.sav from the menu).

There's a short XIO routine that you can load from the disk (via the ENTER command) that will not mess up the Basic program in memory...I'll repost it here in a second.

Loading a Basic program...

LOAD"D:program.ext"

Saving a Basic Program...

SAVE"D:program.ext"

Substitute the name and extension for program.ext. The program name can be up to 8 characters long, and the extension 3. Both must contain alphanumaric characters ONLY...and the program name MUST begin with a letter.