IGNORED

High Score Club Week 1: Circus Atari!

Ze_ro

Sku_u i really hope you are joking! :o  9992! ive got no chance in hell of beating that!

oh well it is only for fun! :)

I wish I was. I was doing really well until I got to 9000 then I looked at the score and psyched myself out. I still managed to get 992 more points, but it would have been nice to get 8 points higher to see the score flip.

A few of you knew this was coming.

9? Do I have that right? :ponder:

Incidentally, since you get a single point every time a character bounces, the absolute minimum score you can get on a complete game is 5 points, even if you miss the guy on the first jump every time.

Okay, here's the 9 story.

Ed Siegler, his brother Joe and I were going to take a break from the Austin Gaming Expo last summer. So we go up to Joe's hotel room to play some 2600 games.

I'm not sure if it was the first game we played or not, but my first game of Circus Atari, I scored 9 points. And I was trying! The fact that you score 5 points just for pushing the button five times did not escape the notice of the Siegler brothers.

So for the rest of the weekend, I was known as "9". Any combination of numbers was somehow numerlogically worked out to make 9 and then yell it out. ("Look, 887. Add the eights, subtract the seven, you get NINE.")

It's funny that the first game in the high score club is Circus Atari. Did Ed have anything to do with that?

BP (aka 9) :D

I used to be able to clock this more than once in the same game (I think I got about 32,000) when I was a young un. Drove my mother round the bend!

I can't do anywhere near as well on an emulator though, but I think I might sign up and have a shot if I've got time.

OK, for my first go I've managed 3,030. Need to shake off more rust.

Might I suggest that points are given out to more players at the end of the week? 3, 2 and 1 between 20 players might get discouraging for some. The medals thing is cool, but something like Formula 1 scoring might be better, and give more encouragement.

post-3322-1081277476_thumb.png

5060 here. Slowly moving up...But, not to a rollover anytime soon, I'm guessing. :roll:

6th place doesn't warrant a bandwidth wasting screenshot. :D

Also, I agree with the "points for everyone" idea. That way, 1st 2nd and 3rd can have their glory, but a strong competitor who just can't ace one game can still be seen. 8)

------

Chase Hermsen

Also, I agree with the "points for everyone" idea. That way, 1st 2nd and 3rd can have their glory, but a strong competitor who just can't ace one game can still be seen.  8)  

------

Chase Hermsen

Yeah. If you had, for instance (ripped from somewhere else I play games competitions) the following:

1st Place - 12 Points

2nd Place - 10 Points

3rd - 8 pts

4th - 7 pts

5th - 6 pts

6th - 5 pts

7th - 4 pts

8th - 3 pts

9th - 2 pts

10th - 1 point

That way you're not going to have the majority of people stuck on zero all the time. There's nothing more discouraging than being on zero forever! You could keep the medals for the top 3, but a bigger points spread would surely be appreciated.

Might I suggest that points are given out to more players at the end of the week?  3, 2 and 1 between 20 players might get discouraging for some.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this too... I wasn't sure at first how many people would join in, so I figured the top three would be a good place to start. One thing that I had mostly decided to do was to keep track of people's scores, and use the actual scores themselves (Or perhaps percentile scores like TwinGalaxies uses, or something statistical involving the number of standard deviations away from the mean or something) as tie-breakers when people have the same number of points... so even if there ended up being 20 people with zero points, there would still be a ranking based on their performance.

I'm unfamiliar with Formula 1 scoring though... is it anything like Mario Kart? :)

--Zero

I am still struggling. I will eventually submit a score but it won't be anything that competes with 1,2, or 3. Maybe next weeks game will be better. (com'on maibock, pick a good one ;) )

As for this week, I see myself submitting a score around two thousand, but that has only happened once so far. I suck :D

I'm unfamiliar with Formula 1 scoring though... is it anything like Mario Kart? :)

--Zero

I'm unfamiliar with Mario Kart scoring!

Anyway, it's basically like the score chart I posted above, but with 10 points for first place, eight for second, then six for third, five, four, three, two and one. Depends how many places you want, I like the other version where the top 10 score points.