IGNORED

Any good XP-friendly 65xx assemblers/disassemblers?

My computer doesn't like console mode . . . So I can't run any of the nifty little programming tools . . . :(

So, are there any 6502 assemblers for XP?  

ALternatively, just recommend a good DOS emu that's compatible with DASM/5200Basic/etc . . .

DASM is not run by clicking on it!

You need to pass it parameters, such as the name of the file to assemble, and the type of output, and the output filename.

You run DASM in a command-line environment, or from a makefile (which runs it from a command-line environment anyway).

Please review the tutorials; I'm sure they have explained this. In any case, from XP you need to go Start/Run.. cmd

You should then be in a command-line 'shell'. Navigate to where the DASM program resides (and if you don't know how to navigate, you really need to look up how DOS works) and then just type dasm

That should cause DASM to print out a list of its options, and some data about its version number. You'll need to pass the correct parameters to it to get it to assemble your file (again, all explained in the tutorials).

Cheers

A

Yeah it's all really confusing at first, but once you get it, everything makes sense. I thought for a while that my computer had problems, but it turns out i just had no clue what i was doing.

On my comp, you need to go into a folder from Terminal (same thing as DOS prompt) that has dasm, macro.h, vcs.h, and the file you want to assemble. You can get there using cd command in Dos. Then enter this line (assuming the file you want to assemble is test.asm):

./dasm test.asm -f3 -v5 -otest.bin

That will create a new binary file called test.bin which you can run from Stella or another emu.