IGNORED

Jerks on the Loose!

Albert

I have no idea why Philly Classic has been brought into this.

We have never spoken to ANY of our vendors about any rivalries or personal conflicts and if there are vendors who attended PC who now have issues with CGE & DP it was not due to anything we said or did and I resent the notion that was put forth that we somehow did.

back to playing games and planning events...

8)

I think you should consider going to the authorities with the evidence, Tempest.

What is happening to you is considered harassment in some form. You should be able to put a stop to it with the help of law enforcement.

I think you should consider going to the authorities with the evidence, Tempest.

What is happening to you is considered harassment in some form. You should be able to put a stop to it with the help of law enforcement.

Ummm, I think that's what he's doing, Kepone:

All of this information has been forwarded to a lawyer and he is working on building up a case to present to a Federal Prosecutor with this and additional evidence I have provided him. There are federal Cyberstalking Laws already on the books that were created explicitly to combat this type of behavior.

Or at least that's how it looks to me. Let the attorney present the evidence in a much more compelling manner than a standard police investigation.

I agree with Shake Zulu, I mean Inky, I mean Shortly ;) I remember when this hobby was fun.

*gets on soapbox*

But in the past couple of years, something very ugly has gone on. Egos have gotten involved, and sadly, the entire membership of two fine websites have to be dragged through the mud.

I spend a lot of time at both sites, and I have met a lot of good people at both sites.

I know that there have been some bad dealings, and bad feelings on both sides of the fence.

But that should not mean that the two sites have to be in some fictitios war, in some kind of death struggle to see who reigns supreme over the hobby of retro gaming.

Please note the wording...hobby...this is a hobby, not a multi-billion dollar business here. I mean, seriously folks...is it really worth all the drama over toys and games? Is it really??

We (and by we I mean AA AND DP) have lost a lot of good folks in the past couple years over petty crap, taken too far by people who have absolutely no regard for the greater good of the hobby.

The retro gaming hobby shouldn't be about who has the biggest convention, or which people are going to be setting up a table at this convention, or how many people show up to that show. It should be about everyone, from all sides of the hobby, getting together, and sharing in the love of video gaming.

Sadly, there are people who believe that this is the point, and these are the people who WE DON'T NEED. At either site.

The fact that vendors threatened not to show up at a con because DP was going to be there is sad. No, it's fucking pathetic. On the same point, it is also fucking pathetic that someone is going around pulling childish crap like what Tempest talked about happening to him. Although, Tempest...Woman's Day is good reading...

With just a little effort from both sides, I believe we can completely change the atmosphere in this hobby, and make it a positive place again, where people will actually want to be part of the hobby, instead of running away which seems to be what is happening now . It really isn't that hard is it??

*gets off soapbox*

Matt and I spent a considerable amount of time on the phone not too long ago as I spoke with some former security people I have worked with and they gave me information which I passed onto Matt, it seems the perpetrator of these acts against Matt, Albert, myself and for that matter the gaming community also falls under several other federal statutes and we are making certain all the needed digital, hardcopy and forensics are turned over to the proper authorities.... these childish pranks and attacks on people's characters whom individuals have deemed to be a threat to their dominence of our videogaming community is going to cease one way or another. We've tried to live with these people, tried to ignore them, even tried to humor them, but they continue to carry on and cross the lines and perhaps some jailtime will sober them up because all other avenues have failed as they seem to think they are above all of us and the videogaming community is theirs for the taking.... well they are not above the law.

Curt

I didn't think anything could snap me out of the haze the news of these recent events have brought over me but something did, and very profoundly...

WACKYPACKS!!

I had all of them

oh man. thank you for the link. I'd completely forgotten about them. I loved them dearly when I was 11 :)

editFound this:

http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/die-...ront_small.html

Somehow it seemed appropriate :)

Ummm, I think that's what he's doing, Kepone:

All of this information has been forwarded to a lawyer and he is working on building up a case to present to a Federal Prosecutor with this and additional evidence I have provided him. There are federal Cyberstalking Laws already on the books that were created explicitly to combat this type of behavior.

Or at least that's how it looks to me. Let the attorney present the evidence in a much more compelling manner than a standard police investigation.

I missed that part.

All I know is that I can't imagine being the subject of harassment by someone.

Whoever is doing it needs to stop pronto.

The smart move is to keep this infighting to yourselves.  No one outside of your personal circles cares about it, nor should they.

The story you are telling is very much comparable to the current situation, and the consequences are going to be very identical if we don't stop the current development.

But there is one little, but IMO very important difference:

This is not about money, this is about egos and private vendettas now. If it was "just" about money, people would behave much more rational than they do now. Dealing with people behaving more (some) or less (IMO still quite a lot, sometimes including me too) irrational makes it so hard to find a solution.

Nothing will stop the troublemakers from continueing (ab)using public forums for their private matters. Therefore IMO it is no good idea to try to keep things out of public, simply because those people won't follow any rules now. This is not about being smart, this is about some people hating other people.

Therefore IMO the only solution is completely different to your suggestion. Instead of letting those people slowly poisoning the whole community, I would prefer to see that all arguments are exchanged in public NOW. This is the only chance for everybody to understand the reasons behind that "cold war" going on.

I know this is probably becoming a "big bang" which will temporarily hurt the community very severly (probably even some "big names" won't look too good then). But on the longer run this is IMO better than the current situation where the whole community is slowly (but for sure!) divided into two enemy sides with a lot of people leaving the hobby.

This is the only chance to isolate the troublemakers from those who want the the community first and not their ego.

As far as taking things public goes, these crimes could have been handled without dragging them into the middle of the public AA-DP war. You guys could pass the information directly to those who need to know. You can file lawsuits without making an announcement. The average fan just sees it as a bunch of drama. I feel for guys like Tempest and hope he gets justice, but it all makes the situation worse and weakens the hobby.

One thing I've learned from show biz, egos are always more important than money.

The promotion game is the same no matter what the art form. I learned how to promote live theatre when I was young, then moved that experience into music promotion because the game was exactly the same. It's been clear that the people behind the classic gaming scene do not have prior promotion experience and are learning as they go, some better than others. This AA-DP conflict is just a typical Promotion War. It happens in music, movies, action figure companies, everywhere. And since it's obvioulsy gonna play itself out, let me tell you how it's going to go:

One promoter will fall. Hard. The one who takes the fall is ALWAYS the group that are the biggest assholes. Whatever other advantages they have don't matter, the average fan recognizes a jerk and they will turn against them.

The winner of the war will be alive but irreparably damaged at best. The fanbase will be smaller. Many important people will hold a grudge and keep their potential contributions to themselves. Members of the losing promotion will always be a thorn in the side. And now that they've survived one war, the winner becomes a prime target for new companies looking to make a name for themselves. There will be less trust, less respect, and a lot less fun.

You people needed to call a cease-fire long ago, it would have been in both your best interests. It seems to be too late for that so just believe me now on that one important point:

The biggest assholes ALWAYS lose.

I have no idea why Philly Classic has been brought into this.  

We have never spoken to ANY of our vendors about any rivalries or personal conflicts and if there are vendors who attended PC who now have issues with CGE & DP it was not due to anything we said or did and I resent the notion that was put forth that we somehow did.

I will publically state here that any connection between the organisers of PC and the vendors who attended there is not implied. Moreso in that it seems most so that the vendors themselves have taken sides and because they feel "affiliated" to PC, they don't want anything to do with CGE/DP. Sad. Course it doesn't take a genius to shortlist the possibles if you look at who went to PC and is foing to MWC...

I also do not condone the abuse of Matt, Curt or anyone else here because it's just as childish and petulant. It's almost as if some people have regressed back to their childhood mindset and maturity whilst still retaining the outward appearance of adults...

Tempest i just read what happened to you and i really want you to get justice

The trouble these days is people dont think about what they are doing anymore

And as for the internet abuse it's ripping the whole community apart, man what happened to the not

so rude days of the old ARPANET?

People need to think before they call the shots because it's just not wearing with

people anymore

And like what has already been said maybe they need something to wake them up!

To stop them from doing it once and for all and for the community to be pieced back together again!

I think this is the only way! :)

About a two years ago, I got a letter from a Federal investigator asking

for IP information. It seems one of my customers was doing the same

kind of things posted here, only he was involved in a WWF forum.

I provided all of the information requested. Two days later, there was a

picture in the newspaper of Federal Agents leading this person out of his

house in handcuffs and leg irons. Of course, they also confiscated all of

his computer equipment.

The point is, this is really SERIOUS stuff. It is not something to

take lightly. Technology has provided miscreants another way to harrass

people.

Mark

As far as taking things public goes, these crimes could have been handled without dragging them into the middle of the public AA-DP war

My intention never was to start a AA-DP war, and I really hope that's not what is going to happen. I've kept silent about the harassment I've been suffering for almost a year now hoping the person responsible would just give it a rest. However once it became appearent that said individual had some serious problems and started to step up his harassment of me and my friends, I felt I had to take this public.

That being said, it is my most fervent hope that this will indeed stop and we can all put this behind us without having to resort to lawyers, lawsuits, and possible jail time. Crap like this is not what the hobby needs, as it just ends up driving people away and making the rest of us miserable. Just think how much more we could accomplish if we all worked together?

I didn't think anything could snap me out of the haze the news of these recent events have brought over me but something did, and very profoundly...  

WACKYPACKS!!  

I had all of them

I was thinking the exact same thing! I didn't know they made more than one series of those. I don't know which ones I had, but they came out in the 80's and not the 70's. I do remember a few classics such as "Burger Thing", "Chock Full O Guts", and "Aquaflush". Funny stuff...

Tempest

As far as taking things public goes, these crimes could have been handled without dragging them into the middle of the public AA-DP war.  You guys could pass the information directly to those who need to know.  You can file lawsuits without making an announcement. The average fan just sees it as a bunch of drama.  I feel for guys like Tempest and hope he gets justice,  but it all makes the situation worse and weakens the hobby.

This is a situation where one asshole has been stalking a few people out of spite. Scott Stilphen is not a pillar of the gaming industry. If he indeed is the perpetrator and gets arrested it will not hurt either community.

I don't see where this is a DP vs. AA war. If anyone decides to leave either community as these events transpire I say good riddance and don't let the door hit you too hard on the way out.

People who are not involved in this directly are making too big a deal out of this. Before this turns into another Hozer thread, I suggest stepping back and leaving it alone.

I am aware of some troubles between AA and DP/CGE for almost two years now and it doesn't look like the situation is going to improve at all. No, it is constantly getting worse.

All those time both sides have tried to keep the problems mostly out of public, but in the background the fighting was continueing and increasing (as far as I can tell).

And sometimes the trouble became public, e.g. when regular posters on AA left due to being attacked because they seem to be linked to DP/CGE and vice versa. Or when people got attacked on DP or AA, when they where trying to promote their "enemy" shows. So IMO this "war" has already become quite public to those who are bit longer in the community.

Both sides are trying to convince important members to stick with them, telling them background stories blaming the other side. Those stories often have to be kept secret, thus making it almost impossible to verify them. In the end you either have to completely believe one side or don't know who is telling the truth (if there is any) at all.

So while the war is still not completely public, preparations are constantly made, troops are gathered, allies are found etc. IMO the longer the current situation is developing, the more negative the result will be. That's why I would prefer making things public now.

But it looks like I am quite alone with that opinion. So I will keep my mouth shut and watch everybody sticking his head into the sand. Maybe that's the better tactic, but I strongly doubt it.

Matt,

I would hope that you would go after the person who has been harassing you. Otherwise the person will continue to harass you and others. Since you do have some proof it is possible that maybe the fingerprints of this individual are on the magazine subscription form. There also is a writing sample that could easily be traced back. I would hope that you turn this person into the Postal authorities for mail fraud and also go after this person for monetary damages for harassment. I believe that this individual could be looking at jail time and several thousand dollars in damages. Don't put up with this crap any longer. Hire an attorney and get this taken care of.