IGNORED

High Score Club Week 2: Superman!

Ze_ro

59 seconds! I had to go get the camera out of the car:

superman.jpg

Am I the first to come in under a minute? 8)

Don't know if I can top this or not. All the baddies were within one screen of the jail. Gonna try to shave off a second or two if I can.

-S

Also, everyone remembers that video of that crazy 11-min run through SMB3 right?

Maybe you know this, but that was not a real game (done with save states frame by frame). Still amazing tho!!

Oh yeah, I know... I still enjoy watching it though. I don't know if there are many good shortcuts through similar Atari games though, so Atari speed runs may not be as interesting.

I love the work on the layout, Ze_Ro! Very colourful! :D 8)

Actually, it's totally ugly, and bordering on hard to read... but hey, it's one of the few games that I can actually follow the color scheme of :)

Ze_ro, what happens with ties?

Yeah, ties will definitely be an issue with this game I'm sure... What will likely happen will be that the tied players will both get the same amount of points. So lets say we end up with something like this:

• 1:01 (Christophero Sly)

[*]1:01 (Chris++)

[*]1:05 (HermChase)

[*]1:10 (Ze_ro)

Then both you and Chris++ would get 12 points, HermChase would get 8 points for third place, and I'd get 7 for 4th place. I just hope we don't end up with something silly like a 6-way tie.

Anyways, I cut 11 seconds off my time to get it down to 1:53. I haven't had much luck beating it though, and most of my games still clock in at around 2:30 or so.

--Zero

I noticed that if you wait a second before you drop to the phone booth, the timer won't start until after the bridge blows.  You can gain a few extra seconds this way... is this considered a cheat?

Yeah, I noticed this too. It doesn't seem to be quite as simple as that though. It'll delay starting the timer by some amount that seems to depend on how long you wait. If you start right after hitting the reset button, the timer starts right away... but waiting a short while, I've had the timer start shortly before I got to the bridge, or right after the bridge exploded. If anyone has better insight onto exactly how this seems to work, please help us out!

It's almost impossible to tell how much time you saved by doing this, and I'm sure a lot of people did this (or didn't do it) by sheer accident, so I don't think it can be considered a cheat per se... I'll add it to the tips section, and I encourage everyone to use this to their advantage... I plan to.

In fact, I managed to get down to 1:36. I'm still not entirely sure how I did that... I think I just got lucky. I think I found myself a quicker way to get one of the bridge pieces than I had been using before though, so I'll have to study that map a bit and plan my routes a bit better... maybe I can shave it down to 1:00 after a few days of work.

Man, this is going to be a really hard-fought competition... after updating everyone's score, the only one who managed to move ahead a place was stayrunner... everyone else increased their scores by very comparable amounts!

--Zero

Man, this is one game I never played when I was younger, so I have very little experience with it.  I'll sit this one out.

Lack of experience does not imply lack of skill.

You might be surprised... I have probably only played this game 3 or 4 time ever before this week, and after less than a day of playing, I'm already down to 1:36. That's much better than I ever expected to do, and there are still 6 days left to go!

If you give it a try, you might do a lot better than you expected. If you never give it a try, then you might end up missing out on a game that is more fun and challenging than most people give it credit for (Anyone else notice that the reviews that AtariAge links to over here are surprisingly bad, averaging 55%? Ouch).

--Zero

I can't belive this game gets bad reviews. It's in my personal top five or so. This is one game that I never really stopped playing. I thought I was going to beat my score last night but no dice. I got an even minute and another 59 seconds.

-S

Ive been trying it on the emulator to no avail. I need a copy for my system to be competative. Im going to have to invest in a stelladapter soon. It seems like a great game though. I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be doing and I basically just flew around in circles.

Hmm.. ok, time for some theorizing.

- It takes clark about 12 seconds to get from the booth to the daily planet

- It takes superman about 25 seconds to get from the booth, collect the bridge pieces and have the bridge built

- That leaves about 23 seconds to collect the bad guys and get a time score in under a minute.

Now considering that maybe you could pick up a bad guy on the way to the bridge pieces, that could maximise your bridge potential by getting a bad guy, but that still doesn't leave much time at all.

- It takes superman about 2 seconds to get from one side of the screen to the other going horizontally and about 1.5 seconds vertically.

Unless all the bad guys are within a screen's distance to the jail, I can't see myself getting under a minute.

Anyone see where I can shave some seconds off? :ponder:

Unless all the bad guys are within a screen's distance to the jail, I can't see myself getting under a minute.

Well, that's what happens for me. Once they were all actually in the jail screen. By the time I had nabbed most of them, two had moved off to another screen, but they both went the same direction. If the bad guys aren't still all in a cluster when you first see them as Superman, you'll never make it in under a minute.

-S

I recently picked this game up at PhillyClassic. When I put it in, I was not impressed, and vowed to never play it again. Thanks to this club, Superman has gotten a second chance. The cartridges "play" has been extended until Sunday, however. . . I still think this game is horrible.

Here is my first score, after a bunch of 3:30's I got down to:

Not too bad, I'll see if I can tolerate the game a few more times, and maybe break the two minute barrier.

I just timed myself with the reset button, and I found it you wait 1.735 seconds (I used a sound recorder and measured between my button hits), the counter will not reset until a split second after the bridge explosion, if you don't stay and watch it. To get this down correctly, I went "RESET...Tap table...Tap Table...HOLD RIGHT." If you can build the right tempo in your mind, you can do it right just about every time. Or, get out that metronome... :ponder: :D

---------

Chase Hermsen

I just timed myself with the reset button, and I found it you wait 1.735 seconds (I used a sound recorder and measured between my button hits), the counter will not reset until a split second after the bridge explosion, if you don't stay and watch it. To get this down correctly, I went "RESET...Tap table...Tap Table...HOLD RIGHT." If you can build the right tempo in your mind, you can do it right just about every time. Or, get out that metronome... :ponder:  :D  

---------

Chase Hermsen

Thanks! I was trying to find if there was a pattern - will give it a try..